RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

jimmy

Jan 14, 2004, 4:25 AM
Post #1 of 18 (3939 views)
Shortcut

Ever break your big toe?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I broke AND dislocated my big toe on December 5. I'm still nowhere close to being able to weight it (or stuff it in my shoe for that matter).

Anyone ever suffer such an injury and if so, how long was your rehab?

bbziger

Jan 14, 2004, 4:40 AM
Post #2 of 18 (3939 views)
Shortcut

Re: Ever break your big toe? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

When I was about 12 years old, I broke my big toe by smashing it into a metal pipe while running around barefoot. As best I remember, it hurt like a bitch for a couple of days, turned into a dull throb in a week, and didn’t feel quite normal for about three or four months. That was many years before I started climbing. But I imagine that I wouldn’t have been able to climb on it for at least three months.

Bummer for you. Hope your rehab is as quick as possible.

-BBB

roughster

Jan 14, 2004, 4:41 AM
Post #3 of 18 (3939 views)
Shortcut

roughster moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

roughster moved this thread from General to Injuries & Accidents.

consolidateddeviance

Jan 14, 2004, 5:05 AM
Post #4 of 18 (3939 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I broke my big toe a couple times playing soccer in college. Pretty bad breaks, but without the complication of a dislocation. My recovery was a bit faster -- within 4 weeks I could walk without pain, and within six I could sprint, cut, and kick a soccer ball pretty damn hard. I'm pretty sure I would have been able to climb at that point.

crazeeclimber

Jan 14, 2004, 6:25 AM
Post #5 of 18 (3939 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I was running under a sprinkler one day with sandals similar to Massuers (however you spell it) and I kicked off my right one and as I did, my left foot went throught the top (where the velcro bit is) and my left big toe went right under my foot.... I couldn't walk for at least a week and I didn't have full use of it till bout 5-6 months after it. So I didn't climb for ages because I couldn't get my foot in my shoe and it friggin hurt! It's been bout 5 years after it happened and it isn't back to it's normal size. It'll stop you climbing for at least about 2-4 months, and do exercises with it - bending is backwards and forth, rotating it in circles slowly but not too hard. You'll find later that you may not have full use of it for awhile (eg may not be able to bend it without your hand) and it will remain larger than your other toe, for some reason the swelling didn't fully go down to normal.
I hope that helps :)
Take it easy, and exercise it slowly (esp. the bending it really helps)

jimmy

Jan 14, 2004, 5:19 PM
Post #6 of 18 (3939 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Such a bummer. Thanks for the info crazee. It's been 41 days since I did it and I'm just starting to be able to bend it a little. I'm going to try putting my climbing shoe on next week. Hopefully it won't hurt too much.

In reply to:
Well, I was running under a sprinkler one day with sandals similar to Massuers (however you spell it) and I kicked off my right one and as I did, my left foot went throught the top (where the velcro bit is) and my left big toe went right under my foot.... I couldn't walk for at least a week and I didn't have full use of it till bout 5-6 months after it. So I didn't climb for ages because I couldn't get my foot in my shoe and it friggin hurt! It's been bout 5 years after it happened and it isn't back to it's normal size. It'll stop you climbing for at least about 2-4 months, and do exercises with it - bending is backwards and forth, rotating it in circles slowly but not too hard. You'll find later that you may not have full use of it for awhile (eg may not be able to bend it without your hand) and it will remain larger than your other toe, for some reason the swelling didn't fully go down to normal.
I hope that helps :)
Take it easy, and exercise it slowly (esp. the bending it really helps)

overlord

Jan 14, 2004, 5:23 PM
Post #7 of 18 (3939 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

nope, i never managed to do that /knock on wood/

scubasnyder

Jan 14, 2004, 5:45 PM
Post #8 of 18 (3939 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lucky i did not hope ya get better

calfcramp

Jan 15, 2004, 2:42 PM
Post #9 of 18 (3939 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yep. I was being chased by my bro, tried to hurdle the couch and caught the big toe of my trailing foot on the backrest..... THE PAIN!!!!!!

I limped around for about a week or so. Wasn't climbing yet so I woulndn't know how long to get back. It's worth waiting for full healing....

mheyman

Jan 15, 2004, 3:46 PM
Post #10 of 18 (3939 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A dozen years ago I was starting a trail run behind the home I had recently moved into. My right big toe hit a stub of a very small stump. I did a couple of somersaults. I didn’t climb at the time, but I didn’t run for several weeks. My toe never fully recovered or returned to its former size. It still hurts on occasion, and I cannot wear some climbing shoes because of it.

Partner j_ung

Jan 15, 2004, 3:51 PM
Post #11 of 18 (3939 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I once caught my big toe between a concrete floor and the steel trundle pedal of a jump shear, which is kind of like a big paper cutter for sheet metal. It crushed the last phalange into three pieces. Not sure how long it took to heal, must have blocked that out of memory.

padenjr

Jan 15, 2004, 4:33 PM
Post #12 of 18 (3939 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I dislocated my big toe about a year ago doing a backflip. It was stuck pointing up at the first joint. I had a doctor snap it back into place. I had to wear one of those plastic boots for a week. after that I started walking on it again. I did take the boot off that first week to go surfing while on a trip to Florida, but it stung.

Jordan

padenjr

Jan 15, 2004, 4:34 PM
Post #13 of 18 (3939 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I dislocated my big toe about a year ago doing a backflip. It was stuck pointing up at the first joint. I had a doctor snap it back into place. I had to wear one of those plastic boots for a week. after that I started walking on it again. I did take the boot off that first week to go surfing while on a trip to Florida, but it stung.

Jordan

moeman

Jan 15, 2004, 5:02 PM
Post #14 of 18 (3939 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you want to stay strong, or even get stronger, dspite the injury, go to the gym and campus on the bouldering walls, or on a campus board. This is what I did when I dislocated my knee. As long as you don't injure yourself (be careful--tendonitits sucks), you'll have fingers of steel by the time you can go back to regular climbing.

dontfall

Jan 15, 2004, 7:28 PM
Post #15 of 18 (3939 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

when i was about 13 years old i broke the pinky and toe next to it on christmas day. was running into the living room and smashed it on the corner of a rocking chair. i was off my foot for about 2 weeks solid, i started walking again a week later but it hurt like crazy for weeks to come

crazeeclimber

Jan 16, 2004, 12:35 AM
Post #16 of 18 (3939 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jimmy, now is the time to start bending your toe using your hand, just hold your toe and bend it back and forth slowly and lightly, just so you can stretch it and it will make it easier to be able to bend it without using your hand. Do it a few times a day and it will help with the healing of it. If it hurts too much leave it for a few days then try again. I mentioned in my last post that it won't return to normal size, it will probably be only a few millimeters larger than before. It does make it a little harder for climbing shoes, but I already need wider shoes (and lace up climbing shoes) as I have a thing called Bursitis (on my big right toe, opposite to my left toe that I did the damage to under the sprinkler!!!!).
I wouldn't go climbing for awhile, not till its healed as what if someone accidently stands or falls on it or you fall from a climb on it or bang it on a rock??? More pain for you my friend! Just leave the climbing for awhile or it'll take more time to heal.
Take it easy and I hope your foot gets better soon.

(Bursitus is a burst fluid sac between a joint -mine is between my big right toe and the 2nd toe from that - and it pushes the joint out so the big toe points -> this way and the bone on my foot inline with my big toe <- that way.... It is sooo unbelievably painful if you pull it apart and that's what the foot doctor does all the time (NOT COOL!) and sometimes it just hurts a sharp pain through my foot- means its moving- so I need to have it operated on, that means I have a cast on for 6 weeks :( They need to shave the outside of the bone and cut off some from the inside of my toe joint and then straighten it... Ouch! I get stitches too!)

jimmy

Jan 16, 2004, 4:15 PM
Post #17 of 18 (3939 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Crazee, I'm bummin! i really want to get back to climbing but i probably should wait a little longer. I can bend it about half way, it's just really stiff.

I realize the risk of going back prematurely but I'm gonna try and see what happens. Only at the gym of course, so i don't have to worry about bad landings. I'll let you know how it goes!

crazeeclimber

Jan 19, 2004, 12:50 AM
Post #18 of 18 (3939 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good luck and take it really easy, just keep stretching it and don't put too much weight on it, I hope all my info helps and get back to me on how you go at the gym.
Lydz

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook