drkodos

Jan 14, 2004, 9:58 PM
Post #1 of 29 (939 views)
Shortcut

Fly Me to the Moon
Report this Post
Can't Post

OR: Spaceman Spiff Lives Again!

I'm for it. Abandonment of the space program was a mistake on many levels.

All you nay sayers out there: ~ willing to give up your Gore-Tex and other tech advances?

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/space/01/14/bush.space/index.html

carnaged

Jan 14, 2004, 10:02 PM
Post #2 of 29 (939 views)
Shortcut

Re: Fly Me to the Moon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was just about to shit a brick. I thought this thread was going to be about Frank Sinatra. Now why did you have to get my hopes up?

Fly me to the moon, let me play among the stars... let me see what spring is like on, a- jupiter and mars....

drkodos

Jan 14, 2004, 10:05 PM
Post #3 of 29 (939 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had the soudtrack in my head when I posted it. If I learn to add audio attachments....watchout.

mike

Jan 14, 2004, 10:06 PM
Post #4 of 29 (939 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well if it leads to a better jacket, I'm for it.

carnaged

Jan 14, 2004, 10:06 PM
Post #5 of 29 (939 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll be waiting.

Frank Sinatra was the sex.

Partner j_ung

Jan 14, 2004, 10:28 PM
Post #6 of 29 (939 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sweet! I knew this thread would pop up fast!

First, I'm a huge - HUGE - fan of the space program in all its pursuits. As far as I'm concerned, the experts at NASA can decide how best to spend the money appropriated to it.

However, at this time, with the war on terror, near record budget defecits, global warming, aids pandemic... shit, name your malady... I think it's frivolous.

To boot, (not sure about this) I think there's a much better place for launching interplanetary missions called L5, a stationary spot between the Earth and moon that has several properties more conducive to low-energy launching than the moon.

crotch

Jan 14, 2004, 11:04 PM
Post #7 of 29 (939 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Taking a page from Lyndon LaRouche?

I think it's a bit disingenuous to suggest that a new effort to put man on the moon would result in technological advances commensurate with those made the first time around.

The first time around there was no technology available to get us there. We hadn't done it before, and there wasn't already a paradigm in place. To realize technological leaps on par with those that came from Apollo, we need to tackle a different impossible' project. I propose a mission to producing all of the US's required energy from renewable resources by the year 2020. Pour your money and hopes on that one and see what happens.

To put this in climbing terms, we need a new climb to onsite rather than toproping that thing we already sent.

hangerlessbolt

Jan 14, 2004, 11:13 PM
Post #8 of 29 (939 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

word

drkodos

Jan 14, 2004, 11:16 PM
Post #9 of 29 (939 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It is a foundation to further exploration.

The tech needed to send man expeditions to the mars and beyond in time periods doable for huimanity is still fringe, no?

Besides, you don't think the Chinese, who never signed the treaty to NOT use the moon as a miltary base, are gearing up their space program just to bring Gore-Tex to Bejing?

drpractical

In reply to:
Taking a page from Lyndon LaRouche?

Ouch!

curt

Jan 14, 2004, 11:20 PM
Post #10 of 29 (939 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Pow! Zoom! To the moon, Alice! :lol:

Curt

crotch

Jan 14, 2004, 11:28 PM
Post #11 of 29 (939 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
It is a foundation to further exploration.

The tech needed to send man expeditions to the mars and beyond in time periods doable for huimanity is still fringe, no?

Ummm. Only a matter of scaling at this point. If you can send a rover you can send a man. Shackleton would have already been there if he was still alive. Sure it's dangerous and expensive and difficult, but success is almost guaranteed with enough money. Why not a new vision and something a little riskier - risky not to lives, but in our ability to create the technology that makes it possible.

In reply to:
Besides, you don't think the Chinese, who never signed the treaty to NOT use the moon as a miltary base, are gearing up their space program just to bring Gore-Tex to Bejing?

Haven't you been listening to the ad wizards? It's all about Schoeller now.

moabbeth

Jan 15, 2004, 1:12 AM
Post #12 of 29 (939 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I propose a mission to producing all of the US's required energy from renewable resources by the year 2020. Pour your money and hopes on that one and see what happens.

I think that's a great idea. Unfortunately, Mr. Bush does not share the same vision.

FYI Daddy Bush made a similary proposal back when he was president. Good PR move to win favor in states like California and Texas. But Congress shot it down immediately for being way too costly.

the_pirate

Jan 15, 2004, 1:25 AM
Post #13 of 29 (939 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sign me up. The moon, mars, straight into the sun. I want out.

mike

Jan 15, 2004, 3:14 AM
Post #14 of 29 (939 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm concerned with the scientific serendipity and spinoffs from whatever is deemed the next frontier. The space program has a good record of providing tangible benefits for the common man. Such as

Colorization of black and white movies,
Aluminized bags for snack food,
Mylar" balloons,
Blue Blocker sunglasses, and
Pens that write upside down and under water.

We clearly need a new breakfast drink, and I fear that the space program will stick with Tang. But an energy program breakfast drink would be probably be along the lines of V8 Juice, which is fine with a shot of vodka but nothing the kids want with their french toast. Maybe we should dig a hole to China. This would have the added benefit of deflecting the Chinese from their space program.

curt

Jan 15, 2004, 3:24 AM
Post #15 of 29 (939 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Maybe we should dig a hole to China. This would have the added benefit of deflecting the Chinese from their space program.
The difficulties are immense. In fact you'd go through Hell trying to dig a hole like that. :lol:

Curt

pehperboy

Jan 15, 2004, 3:32 AM
Post #16 of 29 (939 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

While I've never been a big fan of spending bjillions of $$$ on space travel, it occurred to me the other day the contradiction of a climber being critical of such ventures. Vast sums and much effort spent on a few pictures of the Mars horizon, or to retrieve a few moon rocks. Kind of like risking life and limb on precarious territory in some of the foulest weather to reach a small barren patch of land called a summit.

crotch

Jan 15, 2004, 5:50 PM
Post #17 of 29 (939 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
While I've never been a big fan of spending bjillions of $$$ on space travel, it occurred to me the other day the contradiction of a climber being critical of such ventures.

I climb on my own dime.

jbird

Jan 15, 2004, 6:46 PM
Post #18 of 29 (939 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Maybe we should dig a hole to China. This would have the added benefit of deflecting the Chinese from their space program.
The difficulties are immense. In fact you'd go through Hell trying to dig a hole like that. :lol:

Curt

And under that you would hit the rc.com community!!!!!

How do you propose to get past that mr big shot???
huh??
huh???

Partner j_ung

Jan 15, 2004, 7:09 PM
Post #19 of 29 (939 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Colorization of black and white movies,
Aluminized bags for snack food,
Mylar" balloons,
Blue Blocker sunglasses, and
Pens that write upside down and under water.

We clearly need a new breakfast drink, and I fear that the space program will stick with Tang. But an energy program breakfast drink would be probably be along the lines of V8 Juice, which is fine with a shot of vodka but nothing the kids want with their french toast. Maybe we should dig a hole to China. This would have the added benefit of deflecting the Chinese from their space program.

Not advocating Bush Base 01, however, add to list:

Smoke detectors
Digital mammography
LED lights
Modern global communications
Prosthetic limbs
Composite steel

And a host of other highly useful - sometimes life-saving - devices that are directly descended from technology originally developed for the space program.

moeman

Jan 15, 2004, 7:23 PM
Post #20 of 29 (939 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
While I've never been a big fan of spending bjillions of $$$ on space travel, it occurred to me the other day the contradiction of a climber being critical of such ventures.

I climb on my own dime.

Mays well use your own dime to do something good (climbing) then waste it on a suburban mini-mansion, a gas guzzling SUV, and an lephant-size plasma TV, as dictates the materialistic "American Dream" pushed by coporate America.

Oh and by the way, you know the real reason Bush would never go for Crotch's renewable energy plan? Becuase it would hurt the bottom line for his biggest corporate cronies/campaign soft money contributors: Big Oil. Its corrupt, but guess what, theats what we'll probably be stuck with another four years of.

drkodos

Jan 16, 2004, 4:20 AM
Post #21 of 29 (939 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://cagle.slate.msn.com/...tyeargifs/kelley.gif

drkodos

Jan 18, 2004, 8:17 PM
Post #22 of 29 (939 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Buried among the headlines and worth looking at:

http://news.myway.com/top/article/id/379850|top|01-18-2004::11:27|reuters.html

Still don't think it is along term defense startegy, triggered, in part, by China's newly aggressive stance on space?

Typical of our media sensationalism; that the reason's behind political actions are oversimplified and understated, and there is more to presidential policy and decision making than personal ideaology, bias, or success.

crotch

Jan 19, 2004, 6:58 PM
Post #23 of 29 (939 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So much for the ABM treaty.

vulgarian

Jan 19, 2004, 7:53 PM
Post #24 of 29 (939 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

From Dubya this sounds an awful lot like Imperialism to me or maybe he is "expanding his search for WMD's."

dabhaid

Jan 19, 2004, 11:01 PM
Post #25 of 29 (939 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

maybe the chinese efforts will add impetus. I'm for the creation of an Arthur C Clarke Space Elevator. The man was a genius - he came up with geostationary orbit. The space race was noble.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook