Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Southern Mississippi
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

ezclimber

Sep 4, 2002, 12:45 AM
Post #1 of 16 (8731 views)
Shortcut

Southern Mississippi  (North_America: United_States: Colorado: Front_Range: Clear_Creek_Canyon: Red_Slab)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Is there any place to climb near Biloxi?

rockclimbingpyro

Nov 15, 2002, 11:07 PM
Post #2 of 16 (8731 views)
Shortcut

Southern Mississippi [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hey man. i live in central MS and the closest spot i know about is tisamingo and it aint that great. i usually go to north alabama, to sand rock. its a good spot. Biloxi is all flat and water sorry man good luck finding a spot. if you find one not far let me know.

Ben David

alternativekudzu

Apr 2, 2003, 3:08 PM
Post #3 of 16 (8731 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

like he said...your best bet is tishomingo in MS, but be ready to be a bit disappointed in what it has to offer. Not a lot of gyms here either. I'd love to start one of my own one day....but hey, the real mtns. are calling me, so i doubt i'd be here long enough. about biloxi? hmmm...never heard of any rocks that far down. take it easy.

lovtoclimb

Dec 1, 2003, 3:30 AM
Post #4 of 16 (8731 views)
Shortcut

climbing near biloxi [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the best place near biloxi is my backyard

angelle

Jan 11, 2004, 7:30 PM
Post #5 of 16 (8731 views)
Shortcut

South Mississippi [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi.
I live in Hattiesburg and wanted to learn how to rock climb.
Is there a place anywhere around here for a newbie?

bernard

Jan 11, 2004, 9:50 PM
Post #6 of 16 (8731 views)
Shortcut

southern mississippi [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You've got to, at a minimum, get to Birmingham, AL to get on any worthwhile natural rock....and local to town, its still bouldering. There is a climbing gym in Mobile. There are Mobile-ites who climb and come to N AL with regular frequency, if you are looking to network. i don't know if they visit this site. The nearest best roped climbing areas to here are 45 minutes northeast.

When i lived in jackson, i travelled over here most weekends for a few years. So i'm familiar with your plight.....its hard to keep up interest and enthusiasm.

Contact me if i can be of more help. You are welcome to fall in with me and whomever i'm partnered with on a given weekend to climb, get some skills, some experience.....learn some basics. i've got some extra gear.....maybe some spare shoes that might fit....give me some advance notice 205-591-3350.

Also, there's a store here, The Urban Outpost, who gives classes for beginners. Check their website. They're good folks.

oudinardin

Jan 11, 2004, 9:52 PM
Post #7 of 16 (8731 views)
Shortcut

Re: South Mississippi [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, Went to Tishamingo while visiting my brother. Besides the overhang 10+ sandstone crap you'll have your choice of 3-4 10 to 20 foot climbs. There are some good areas in Arkansas from what I here. I would move or go ape shi! on a climbing wall. Move, you may miss your Fam but don't waste another day sweating you a$$es off with a bunch of inbred rednecks sent directly up from hell.

bernard

Jan 11, 2004, 10:47 PM
Post #8 of 16 (8731 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

....three cheers for intolerance!

deleted
Deleted

Jan 12, 2004, 12:09 AM
Post #9 of 16 (8722 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote:ab865469ab="oudinardin"]... don't waste another day sweating you a$$es off with a bunch of inbred rednecks sent directly up from hell.[/quote:ab865469ab]

i grew up in biloxi. it was narrowmindedness of your caliber that made me decide i didn't want to spend the rest of my life there.

thank you for reminding me i made the right choice.

oudinardin

Jan 14, 2004, 11:49 PM
Post #10 of 16 (8731 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
... don't waste another day sweating you a$$es off with a bunch of inbred rednecks sent directly up from hell.

i grew up in biloxi. it was narrowmindedness of your caliber that made me decide i didn't want to spend the rest of my life there.

thank you for reminding me i made the right choice.

No problem. I would'nt call it narrowmindedness, I just like to remain on top of the food chain etc. plus, I've spent some time there. If you do not think that there are not a lot of stupid people there then get off your perch in Leadville or whatever and take a trip back to your beloved home town jackass. Maybe you still have some of that in ya buddy considering how many times you have posted on this site and the content of those.

Partner chugach001

Jan 15, 2004, 12:09 AM
Post #11 of 16 (8731 views)
Shortcut

Mississippi Big Walls [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

EZ - you poor bastard, moving to Baton Rouge! Yep, Northern Bama or Austin are closest rock - and it ain't great. Not compared to what you've seen in CO.

I'm in Mandeville and try to stir up rumors about big alpine walls north of here but very few people ever take me seriously. Give me a call when you get in town - I've got two large walls at my house plus an Aid tree and am willing to share.

Jeff

montgomerywick

Jan 15, 2004, 2:13 PM
Post #12 of 16 (8731 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ez, there is a good gym in mobile (planet rock gym), probably less than an hr from you...guys from the pascagoula head over weekly...

There MAYBE some limestone bluffs on the Okatoma river...there is an old thread on the southeastern climbers coalition website about that, which states in pertinant part:

In reply to:
Aside from Louisiana you can actually get some climbing in in Mississippi around the oakatoma river road cut and inside the river area. Most of the cliffs are ofer the river so you have to rent a canoe and belay out of it. It's lots of fun though...... To get there just follow I-59 to hattiesburg and look for the eatonville exit and follow the big orange and red signs. Talk to connie at the canoe rental spot and shell give you a canoe and all the beta you need.... I spent my first three years of college at southern miss and found a few mild climbing spots along eroded road cuts. Don't get me wrong it's no obed or red river gorge but s*** it's climbing. And if you can't find something to climb you're not looking hard enough

there also maybe limestone on the chichasway river near quittman...

Bottom line is, if you are motivated and look around, you will find something.

Ignore that prick, btw, he is actually at the bottom of the chain based on his comments...

good luck and pm me if you find something or want more info...

fitzontherocks

Jan 15, 2004, 3:26 PM
Post #13 of 16 (8731 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Little Rock (AR) is 4.5 hours from Jackson. We've got a couple of decent crags withing 20 minutes of my house here. Go another 2- 2.5 hours northwest and you've got "America's Best Unknown Cragging" (according to Rock & Ice magazine). Looking south, there are two climbing gyms in New Orleans. I've been to one and it's middlin' at best. I've paddled the Okatoma a bunch and never saw rock, but I haven't done the whole river. My college biology teacher at Millsaps used to teach rappelling at Tishomingo. Don't know much about real routes or bouldering there. PM me for more info. And don't mind the sharks in these forums. They're bottom dwellers looking for an easy target. Just blow 'em off.

montgomerywick

Jan 15, 2004, 3:36 PM
Post #14 of 16 (8731 views)
Shortcut

southern [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

fyi, i have paddled the okatoma several times and never seen rock...not sure if putting in too late or taking out too early...

but someone go check out the whole river..bring beer in case you strike out and have a nice float!

fitzontherocks

Jan 15, 2004, 3:47 PM
Post #15 of 16 (8731 views)
Shortcut

South Mississippi [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

:shock: And watch out for Sheriff Tater in Covington County. He'll shoot holes in your canoe if'n you got beer, boy. (For true!)

lhaila

Jun 9, 2004, 6:48 PM
Post #16 of 16 (8731 views)
Shortcut

is it worth a drive to Sandrock? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi guys, I just move here in Mississippi from Iowa City....Im not a professional climber but my brother-in-law, my sister and their friends are...their favorite spot before is the Palisades kepler and it wasnt that bad, rock climbing is my favorite so im kinda hoping if you guys could give me some information about the Sandrock and some rock climbing groups down here in diamondhead or close to diamondhead....we really need to get back on climbing, thanks guys!

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook