Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Trad Climbing:
trying to get myself to place that upward pull piece...
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

Partner one900johnnyk

Jan 16, 2004, 1:50 AM
Post #1 of 5 (1244 views)
Shortcut

trying to get myself to place that upward pull piece...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

you're at the second belay, belaying the leader. you have a great anchor the leader built for a downward pull. why is the upward pull piece always connected to the anchor system rather than the belayer directly??

gunkiemike

Jan 16, 2004, 3:02 AM
Post #2 of 5 (1244 views)
Shortcut

Re: trying to get myself to place that upward pull piece... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You can do it either way, but it harder to keep it taut if it's on the belayer (they move in, it falls out. More of a concern with passive gear of course)

mrme

Jan 16, 2004, 4:17 AM
Post #3 of 5 (1244 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you are setting on two bomber nut placements sloted down a vertical crack you have a third peice bellow you attached to you a leader fall happens onto a peice of gear. he falls long and lifts you up because there is no tension on the sling bellow you. it lifts the nuts up and out as it pulls you up also. well that good bomber peice your friend fell on was in questionable rock so the placement now fails. unfortanatlly it was his only peice so now he falls to the belly that has one peice in. well you better hope it holds by a miricial of shifting into a better placement. because the way it is placed now is in the wrong direction of pull and will probablly rip out when he hits the end of the rope: if it never already failed do to your body wait pulling it in the wrong direction. just make sure if you attach directly to yourself that you make sure those top peice are multidirectional or pulled taunt enough by oposing them with that upward peice. from experince of figuring anchors out pretty much on my own it is really hard to attach onesself to the upward oriented peice directly and still have it tuant enough not to pull you up while hanging on the other gear. it is way easer to conect it to the rest of the anchor and tell how tuant it is.

andypro

Jan 16, 2004, 8:59 AM
Post #4 of 5 (1244 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
you're at the second belay, belaying the leader. you have a great anchor the leader built for a downward pull. why is the upward pull piece always connected to the anchor system rather than the belayer directly??

If for some reason you need to escape the belay, and that piece is attatched ot you and not the anchor, the anchor no longer has the benefit of that piece.

Partner one900johnnyk

Jan 16, 2004, 11:57 AM
Post #5 of 5 (1244 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You can do it either way, but it harder to keep it taut if it's on the belayer (they move in, it falls out. More of a concern with passive gear of course)
makes sense

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook