RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

odugie

Jan 20, 2004, 6:11 PM
Post #1 of 7 (1269 views)
Shortcut

Any older beginner climbers out here.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am 45 and just recently started climbing at a indoor gym. Some days I wonder if I started doing this just a little bit to late in age. I am in fairly good shape, not limber enough yet, but wonder if there are any special considerations I need to take in. Any olders climbers out here that may have some suggestions? Have tried some bouldering but slightly parnoid about the "jump down" after finishing the climb.

Nancy

unabonger

Jan 22, 2004, 4:03 PM
Post #2 of 7 (1269 views)
Shortcut

Re: Any older beginner climbers out here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Nancy, this might get more attention in the General or Beginner forum.

I'm surprised no one has jumped in with some tips--I guess "Guy's hair" is the hot topic to weigh in on right now.

You'll be fine if you progress slowly, and don't climb more than 2-3 days a week. Sometimes you can climb more but take plenty of rest after multiple days in a row. Stay hydrated. Jog or hike to keep your wieght low and heart strong. Warm up slowly. Be aware that your muscles are going to get stronger faster than your connective tissues, so when you think you're feeling strong--that's when you can be surprised by an injury.

Most injuries result from the steady, slow accumulation of microtrauma--it might feel like that sprain happened on one afternoon but it was the weeks of too much climbing without enough rest that really caused it. Every month or so take longer breaks than usual to recover.

Other activities on your off climbing days can help toughen you up for this sport--especially yoga for balance, strength, flexibility and maybe some light wieghtlifting.

Bouldering can be hard on your body--if you're nervous to jump off, find a place to to traversing closer to the ground. Once you develop a bit more experience, you'll be able to do easy and moderate boulder problems without falling, and you can downclimb to jump off.

There are plenty of strong climbers that are much older than you so you're in good company and should have many years of great climbing. Good luck.

The MidAgedBonger

Partner macherry

Jan 22, 2004, 4:34 PM
Post #3 of 7 (1269 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey there. I just started climbing last year: 42yrs. old. I was in pretty good shape from road and mtn biking. As with other actvities, i have old injuries that act up, but generally i had no big problems getting into climbing. The more i climbed, the better it felt. The first few times out, i was training muscles to act differently and using different muscles. I dropped weight, which is good, made it easier to climb. I started weight training and core muscle training. It's done amazing things for my climbing.

The "bouldering" issue will change with time on the rock. Time in the gym is good too.

Remember to have fun. any more questions, PM me. cheers

odugie

Jan 22, 2004, 6:16 PM
Post #4 of 7 (1269 views)
Shortcut

Re: Any older beginner climbers out here. Thanks for respon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks to those that responsed back. All good suggestions. I have started using a chiro and a friend of mine is a rolfer so I am also doing that........just to head off any damage I may do by overdoing. Have learned that finger pull-ups cause some hand/arm problems so I will go slowly with them. Finally was able to do a overhang yesterday.........great feeling!

For the core muscle training.......do you do pilates? I have done some yoga but the days that there are classes clash with the times my climbing partner can climb, right now I would rather climb than anthing else. I also play racquetball, good for the reflexes and just plain fun, and use Jacob's Ladder for cardio.

Nancy

gblauer

Jan 25, 2004, 3:39 AM
Post #5 of 7 (1269 views)
Shortcut

Re: Any older beginner climbers out here. Thanks for respon [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Nancy, I started climbing when I was 45 years old. I trained in the gym for 3 months before I ever went outside. It was even longer before I started bouldering (I didn't have the strength). Now, a year and a half later I am consistently doing 300-400 point boulder problems and just last week I sent a 12 pitch, 5.10b climb in El Potrero. It is never too late to start. Just start slowly, watch out for overuse injuries and have fun. As for falling on the bouldering problems...I have one suggestion...DOn't! I down climb everything I boulder (twice the workout for the same problem). Also, I am lucky to have a great partner who spots me if I do fall. Good luck!

willingspirit

Feb 21, 2004, 12:52 AM
Post #6 of 7 (1269 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just started climbing at a gym about 4 months ago. I'm 42 and generally have not been very active. (In fact I was too sick to be active for most of my younger years). I've been slowly becoming more active in the past year or so. I first tried running, liked what it did for my weight but not what it did to my knees. I had been lifting weights but that was pretty boring.

I'm in the midst of a mid life career change which requries working about 80 hours a week. I also recently moved (from the southeast to the northeast where I grew up) and learned about this climbing gym. So I decided to try it. Even though it took me 4 sessons to get to the top of the easiest wall, I still liked it. What struck me at first was how efficent of an overall workout it is. Plus it's challanging and certanly far from boring.

The gym I frequent offers continuous classes during the long winter months. I am always the worst climber in the class (flashbacks to high school gym class, except no one makes fun of me but instead they are very supportive and helpful). I have yet to make it to the top of a vertical wall. I lack strength, balance and especially flexibility. However, I can definitely see that I have made progress.

I share your hesitancy to jump off after boldering. I sustained a mild ankle injury early on doing that, so now I stick to traversing close to the ground. I really haven't been doing much else exercise-wise, though I do go to the climbing gym 2-3 times per week (once for the class and the rest of the time I usually wind up traversing because I don't have anybody to belay me unless I'm in class). However, since I take the stairs a lot at work (the elevators are usually too slow) I now try to take them 2 at a time to help with my leg strength.

I've been reading (mostly on the internet) about technique, and so when I'm there I really try to focus on improving my footwork.

I make sure to stretch before and after each climbing session too.

My original goal was to get good enough to try some outdoor climbing over the summer. I'm not sure that will happen, but it doesn't matter. I'm still having fun.

just_me

Mar 6, 2004, 5:49 AM
Post #7 of 7 (1269 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had a friend who started climbing when she was 65! It is never to late to start.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook