Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Climbing in the dominican republic
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

mrtropy

Jan 24, 2004, 5:36 AM
Post #1 of 7 (2646 views)
Shortcut

Climbing in the dominican republic  (North_America: Canada: New_Brunswick: Saint_John: Cochrane_Lane: Exfoliated_Wall)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

We may take a family vacation to the Dominican Republic in June. Is it easy to get to the climbing areas and to find other climbers? How is the climbing this time of year? I am a .10 climber and my wife climbs .8 or .9 are there routes in this range? Thanks Jeff

wladir

Feb 17, 2004, 9:41 PM
Post #2 of 7 (2646 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbing in the dominican republic [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi!
my name is Wladir, I'm part of the ADEM Rock climbing team.

yes is ti very easy to get to the climbing areas. if you want to find other climbers, just send me a mail to whermon@hotmail.com and I introdus you to all the climbers in Santo Domingo.

we have all kind of range routes here.

for more information whermon@hotmail.com

bye

We may take a family vacation to the Dominican Republic in June. Is it easy to get to the climbing areas and to find other climbers? How is the climbing this time of year? I am a .10 climber and my wife climbs .8 or .9 are there routes in this range? Thanks Jeff

kletterfreak

Feb 26, 2004, 8:22 AM
Post #3 of 7 (2646 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi All!!! I am going next week to DR. I heard El Fronton has the best climbing. But I can't find a route guide book ANYWHERE.

You guys have any suggestions. Thanks!

kletterfreak

Aug 18, 2004, 1:22 PM
Post #4 of 7 (2646 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

COPIED TEXT FROM PRIVATE EMAIL

Oh Hi dude!

Sorry for getting back to you so late!!! Havent checked in - in a while.

Yeah we had a great time at El Fronton Beach. Its a relatively quiet and pristine beach. There is one boulder there, but not much else besides for bouldering.

If you are into climbing it is a real treat! Some Italian nut jobs went there in March and put up 20 or so routes, all sport. The bolts were perfect, although I didnt have the Cahuennas (spelling?) to try the 7 UIAA I was pondering.

In all I have to say it was the perfect climbing paradise. Parfelio (spelling?) is the local bar keep and chef. The property is actually owned by some American dude... figures. I would buy it too! There is nothing better than a climb over the surf and then head 20 meters down to the beach for a beer and some fish and rice. Damn!

There is even a little hut you can pay to stay in. I hope they put in locking doors since! Hint Hint! Also I would take the boat, rather than the hour hike. That said, we had a major blast!

Berg Heil!

Cheers,

NEXT EMAIL

too bad. but i would definitely hit El Fronton when you get there. my impression from my research is that El Fronton is the best area for climbing considering the whole experience.

i heard there was a large climbing contingency in the city capital of santo domingo. but i heard its overcrowded. plus we flew into santo dom and lets just say it wasnt my idea of vacation land.

we drove to the north beaches. which was a cultural experience i did enjoy, but you have to be used to carib people if you catch me. it was cheaper to drive, but if you can afford it, i would take the flight to the northern airport of Samana.

oh yeah, if you ever get over there, this is a guide service guy - he's actually german - and his name is Rudi? He does canyoning at El Fronton and he was setting up a nice hotel (cafe Firmament) in the hills overlooking the whole bay. he even had a pool and beer garden. it should be complete by now. I think he has a web site ? Here is some info at the bottom of this page (in german!) http://www.brauhaus-schweinfurt.de/reinhard/domrep2003.htm But he can show you the ground route to el fronton. its not hard to find, but i was happy i went with him the first time. he introduced us to Parfilio, the bar keep.

you can always take the boat, but they are pretty small and dont go out on even moderate rough waves.

if i had to do it again, i would have spent two or three nights there. at 7 euros a day it was worth it. only problem as i said is there are no locks on the doors. a little more than spooky since the hut is 80 meters away from the bar keep. i heard 1 guy pitched his tent right next to the bar. not bad advice. i slept with the machete and barely slept with that. call me paranoid, but i learned later some guy got gang robbed at el diablo, the last town before the hike in.

all that said, i think it was worth it. a real paradise. snorkeling and climbing on a beach all to yourself. i was cracking cocunuts on the beach for coconut milk for breakfast! well, maybe some people will be there, but its defintely more remote than the other beaches. and there are enough routes to keep you busy.

what else. oh yeah. as i said, the routes are bolted. mostly. they were newly bolted when i went, but sea erosion my have had some effect since then. the topos are on this site or you can pick up a photo copy from Porfelio.

sorry for that data dump, but maybe this info would be useful to someone. i wish i had it before. i would have definitely not wasted as much time finding the routes.

ps the spanish word for climber is Escaladore and climbing is Escala. They seemed to treat us different when we told them we were climbers. I even gave these two guys a ride up a route.

GOOD LUCK!

kletterfreak

Aug 18, 2004, 1:46 PM
Post #5 of 7 (2646 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

By the way, just had a look at the topo on this site. The bar keeps name is Parfirio. There is a boulder route named after him but there are only two routes. The boulder is right by the bar. Did I mention the bar was direct on the beach???

Pretty cool.

Also I would like to thank one more time those Italian guys for setting up those routes. Graziye!

wladir

Jan 8, 2005, 3:47 PM
Post #6 of 7 (2646 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi!

I'm Wladir From Santo Domingo, Dominican Rep.

tell me about your climbing in Fronton.

kletterfreak

Jan 10, 2005, 12:42 PM
Post #7 of 7 (2646 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It was great! See email above.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook