RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Suggestions & Feedback

Premier Sponsor:

Partner pianomahnn

Mar 20, 2002, 11:00 PM
Post #1 of 24 (3285 views)
Shortcut

The Definitive Beginning Climber's Online Guide
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

If you're reading this, are you familiar with the beginner's publication put out by (I believe) Climbing Magazine? It covers almost every conceivable area a newbie climber would need to be educated in, and even areas where they wouldn't.

My idea is to develop something of the equivalent for this website. Complete with diagrams and the whole shebang. I know there are enough climbing gurus as members of this website that false information would be nil, so these readers would be getting good information.

Any yeas, lets get working, and if you're a naeer, tell me why.

wigglestick

Mar 20, 2002, 11:21 PM
Post #2 of 24 (3285 views)
Shortcut

The Definitive Beginning Climber's Online Guide [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think this is a good idea. I have always thought that the combined knowledge of the users of this site could be put to use in a productive way rather than spending all of our energy bickering with each other.

The articles that are written are good but do not usually go into enough depth to satisfy me. It would be nice to incorporate a kind of climbing FAQ with the Rock Craft type of thing that Pianomahn is suggesting.

metoliusmunchkin

Mar 21, 2002, 12:07 AM
Post #3 of 24 (3285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This would be a most excellent idea. There are many climbing gurus on this site, and a gide to help the newbies is a wonderful idea. This would completely diminish the 'Beginners' forum, however, I'm sure some things that will not be covered in this guide, would be covered in that forum.

There are many users on this website, and it's going to take a lot of them to make this possible. I mean, an entire informative climbing 'guide'? Yipes! Many, many, many users would have to parkate in such a matter, and this could be lots of work.

Yay, or nay? I say Yay! A great idea!

tcollins

Mar 21, 2002, 12:19 AM
Post #4 of 24 (3285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As a new climber I think it would be great. My three main areas of literature learning have been Freedom of the Hills, that guide and this site. The one thing I would suggest would be to make sure directions and drawings are clear and almost overly simplified. I've gone back and forth between the two books learning how to tie knots and learn other basics b/c they have different photos and sometimes one or the other isn't overly clear. I've been on this site as much as possible since I found it. I think this would only serve to strengthen an already great site. Thumbs up from me.

maculated

Mar 21, 2002, 12:20 AM
Post #5 of 24 (3285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I definitely agree that that would be a good thing. The problem is, I think people are VERY active as it is. Perhaps we could comprise a FAQ from previous posts and then just flesh it out? As someone who has built a database like this before, it is best to start small and work up.

Partner pianomahnn

Mar 21, 2002, 12:35 AM
Post #6 of 24 (3285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know there are some people (myself included) who have the time to write and bring together something like this.

My idea was to not make obsolete the Beginners forum, but make a guide for people beginning. That way it's all there, in a friendly format, and it's going to guarenteed what you're reading is safe, effective, factual, etc. With the forums that is not always the case.

If none of the big dogs respond to this within the next few hours, I'm going to run it by Trevor to see what he has to say, and that will hopefully be yes.

If you're willing to help out on this, give me a hollar, and I'll compose a plan of some sort.

trevor
Anonymous Poster

Mar 21, 2002, 2:58 AM
Post #7 of 24 (3285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You have my approval to go ahead on organizing this. However, don't attempt to write all of this yourself. Make sure you call on the resources of highly qualified members of the site (even some that you may not get a long with). I want this to be a group effort. I'd like to see first a general outline proposed. Then have multiple people comment on the outline. Then once we know what we want to cover, different people can write various sections. Next, the editor needs to compile and make final edits.

Finally we can take this and put it into multiple mediums. The website, PDF, Word, formats. Maybe we can even see a bound version if it's good enough to help support the site.

I think a good tool to use to get all of this started is the Articles section. If you need to upload photos for articles, just use the Photo section.

Trevor

[ This Message was edited by: trevor on 2002-03-20 18:59 ]

Partner pianomahnn

Mar 21, 2002, 3:47 AM
Post #8 of 24 (3285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

PDF was the one form I was anxious to use. I've always enjoyed anything presented in this manner.

Thank you, Trevor.

qacwac

Mar 21, 2002, 4:36 AM
Post #9 of 24 (3285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!(this must be read in the same manner as Luke Skywalker said "No" when Darth Vader told him "Luke, I am your father." in Empire Strikes Back)

Just kidding though about not doing it. I think it's a great idea. That's actually what I was planning on doing with my thread http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=7927&forum=16&6

Eventually I was hoping to write a book (no time soon) from all that I had learned. I was even thinking of a name like "The Definitive Beginner's Guide to Climibng" or "The Definitive Guide to Beginning Climbing". Honest. I had all this planned out yesterday when I first started the above post.

Now that I've told my story I'm in full support of you. Even though I won't get to write my book I think it will be helpful. Feel free to rip anything from my posts.

[ This Message was edited by: qacwac on 2002-03-20 21:30 ]

Partner pianomahnn

Mar 21, 2002, 5:03 AM
Post #10 of 24 (3285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, I'm quite surprised I missed that!

And quite odd...

maculated

Mar 21, 2002, 5:53 AM
Post #11 of 24 (3285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you ever need help (I'm not expert, so not there) I'm pretty experienced in editing and that sort of thing.

andy_lemon

Mar 22, 2002, 12:32 AM
Post #12 of 24 (3285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You know what would be great??? If you could get the sites address to be www.rockclimbing.edu

For any of you that do not understand the meaning of "edu" it is only assigned to eduction websites. Such as colleges...

http://www.usi.edu

It would be an honor to have that on the ending of the link PLUS it would be easy for climbers to find and remember.

Andy

maculated

Mar 22, 2002, 1:21 AM
Post #13 of 24 (3285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edu is reserved for educational institutions.

Partner pianomahnn

Mar 22, 2002, 2:46 AM
Post #14 of 24 (3285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've sent an e-mail to a select 15 or so members whom I feel are the best suited for this endeavor. As soon as I get some feedback from them, we'll get this schindig started!!

Partner pianomahnn

Mar 22, 2002, 2:48 AM
Post #15 of 24 (3285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd like to add that if you were not included in this mailing, and you would like to help out, please send me a message, and I'll see what we can do.

I don't want to leave anyone out that could contribute to this project.

sirxan

Mar 22, 2002, 3:27 AM
Post #16 of 24 (3285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sounds like a terrific idea to Me, My best wishes on the project hope it is up soon, lord knows I would be a reg there lmao

Frank

Partner polarwid

Mar 22, 2002, 4:39 PM
Post #17 of 24 (3285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe we could call it "CLIMBING FOR DUMMIES!"

crazywacky

Mar 22, 2002, 4:56 PM
Post #18 of 24 (3285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Outstanding idea!
The guide that is. Though the title is pretty schweet too.

Partner pianomahnn

Mar 22, 2002, 5:35 PM
Post #19 of 24 (3285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think IDG Books (publisher of dummies books) owns the rights to anything ".... for Dummies." I could be mistaken though.

It would be a good title...

metoliusmunchkin

Mar 22, 2002, 9:18 PM
Post #20 of 24 (3285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How about we call it "Climbing for Gumbies" ?

Partner pianomahnn

Mar 22, 2002, 9:36 PM
Post #21 of 24 (3285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I vote to say YES to Pat's idea.

ctrlaltdel

Mar 22, 2002, 11:46 PM
Post #22 of 24 (3285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been lurking off and on. This made me register...

I've got the The Definitive Beginning Climber's Online Guide right here.
Find and befriend an experienced climber. Go to a gym and learn the basics from them or take the beginner's class offered by the gym and find someone experienced. Tag along when your new found friend goes climbing outdoors with their other experienced friends. Learn about the different gears and other knots, how to setup anchors, etc. Start buying gear that complements the group's gear, discuss what they need or need to retire. Now your no longer just tagging along and have learned hands-on.

There's already a book called "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Rock Climbing". Given the title of the book, I was suprised when there wasn't the usual disclaimer about being seriously injured or being killed in large print on the very first page. I just thumb through it and don't know how good it is. I would prefer to see something geared more to intermediate level. I always wonder about beginner climbing books/instructions that have the most basic things like how to tie a figure eight. I feel those type of instructions should be taught hands-on and have no business being in a book or any other media. If you really are a beginner you should really learn from a more experienced/qualified person. I don't know what type of topics you want to cover, but I would like to see more of tips and tricks type thing that's not going to get beginners killed if they mis-read and/or mis-use something. Definitely nothing title the "Definitive Beginner's".

Secondly for you experienced climbers, if you are going to take a newbies climbing please think about the experienced climbers to newbie ratio. If your the only one, who is going to bail you out if you get in trouble (it can happen to the best of us) and who is backing up that belay when you are climbing? Sorry to rant, but with climbing getting more popular I just see too many people do dumb things.

Partner pianomahnn

Mar 22, 2002, 11:59 PM
Post #23 of 24 (3285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ctrlaltdel,

Well, I'm kind of flattered that something I did made you register.

I was beginner (still kind of am) around a year ago. And the one thing of most importance to me was the information provided by experienced climbers. I didn't learn anything from reading, only what I was taught. And that's something I want to try and put into words.

There are tons of newbie climbers that come here. Myself for example, almost the day I first tried climbing, I came here. So relaying concrete, safe, effective, understandble information would be the number one priority.

There is a wealth of valuable information in the minds of the members here. I want to harness all that and give the newbies something that they can use to stay safe, climb safe, climb well, enjoy climbing, etc.

If there are any newbie climbers reading this, I would appreciate it if you could message me with any questions you've had or currently have. The more questions we have, the more extensive and educational this can be.

Yeah, that's about all for now.

phil_nev

Mar 23, 2002, 12:10 AM
Post #24 of 24 (3285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

GREAT IDEA, it would only compliment this already great website even further!

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook