Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Big Chief in winter?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

wyoclimber3

Feb 14, 2004, 8:39 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1247 views)
Shortcut

Big Chief in winter?  (North_America: United_States: Utah: Salt_Lake_-_Utah_Counties: Rock_Canyon: The_Kitchen)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i know Big Chief (truckee area) is climbable in the winter. and i hear its only a 45 minute hike (snowshoe?) to the crag from the highway. but i also hear that you have to cross private land to get there. anyone know a way up there (from the highway) that doesn't cross private land, or any landowners that don't care?

roughster

Feb 14, 2004, 8:54 PM
Post #2 of 3 (1247 views)
Shortcut

Re: Big Chief in winter? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My understanding of Big Chief winter access is via from the highway below. The problem with this is crossing the river is problematic unless you use someone's private bridge. I don't think the hike up would be too bad though it will be steep and hard to snow shoe with a pack..

Its a long way to approach from the locked gate from the backside. Longer than I would care to go for sure. If your hard up to climb in the Tahoe area, Cave Rock (while it is still open) offers the much better alternative though it does not feature any warm ups.

Moderate sport climbing from the Bay to Tahoe is definitely a sore lacking spot except for Auburn, which as we all know has its issues. Dave and I are working on a new area which will have moderates and is on public land with secured climbing access. The problem is its a long time off before it will be worth going to. But when it is ready.... watch the Bay Areas collective mouths drop :)

Risk Auburn or tresspass then snowshoe up a steep hill through snow to Big Chief....

I know which one I would choose :)

wyoclimber3

Feb 14, 2004, 9:14 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1247 views)
Shortcut

Re: Big Chief in winter? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks roughster. cave rock would be cool but its a bit of a drive from truckee, and most of its above my skill level. anyways i would rather spend my time hiking than driving. looks like auburn or big chief, i'll probably be pissing someone off either way :? i've gotten a few days in at donner summit and river rock but both are quite limited. maybe i should just take my chances :twisted:

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook