RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

Partner coylec

Feb 14, 2004, 8:18 PM
Post #1 of 18 (2566 views)
Shortcut

Cam removal tool?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
Even more specialized are tools designed to remove unyielding SLCDs. This item may be more extra gera than you need to carry , unless you seem to have a persistent problem with stuck SCLDs.

Question: What is a cam removal tool? What does it look like? Does anyone own one?

I'm not really interested in owning one, having never gotten a cam stuck for more than 45 seconds, but I'm interested in what it is.

coylec

ps - happy valentine's day ... pink tri-cam, will you be mine?

andypro

Feb 14, 2004, 8:31 PM
Post #2 of 18 (2566 views)
Shortcut

Re: Cam removal tool? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've never seen a specific, specialized "cam removal tool". I have, though, seen nut tools with little hooks or ears on the handle end, perpendicular to the handle, especially for grabbing the trigger bar. That could possibly be what he's referring to..something along those lines. If not, I'd be real itnerested in seeing what an actual "cam removal tool" looks like.

edge

Feb 14, 2004, 8:38 PM
Post #3 of 18 (2565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A specialized tool would be a waste of money. I have retrieved 11 stuck and abandoned cams over the years, and have never lost one of my own. Just loop the clip end of two wired stoppers over each side of the bar, or use the hooked end of your nut removal tool in the swaged loop, and push on the cam's stem as you pull on the stoppers/removal tool. This will remove anything that a single purpose tool will and you are already carrying the needed equipment. Hang on the rope or on gear as you work at removing the cam; that's $50 stuck in there.

moeman

Feb 14, 2004, 9:27 PM
Post #4 of 18 (2566 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out the Bluewater nut tool. It has to hooks on the end to grasp thetriggers of single stem cams.

geezergecko

Feb 14, 2004, 9:58 PM
Post #5 of 18 (2565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, there was this tool called "Friend of a Friend" which was used to remove - you guessed it - a Friend (WC cam). Also, the DMM Nutter tool has hooks on the handle end to pull cam triggers. Ingenuity with nut wires achieves the same result.

apollodorus

Feb 14, 2004, 10:04 PM
Post #6 of 18 (2565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

All of the above is good advice . . . until the trigger wires break.

And sometimes the lobes get so stuck, you can't move them with the wires. Before you break the wires hanging on stoppers looped over the trigger, try this:

Take a nut tool that has a flat end, sort of like a chisel or screwdriver, to move the lobes directly. You stick the tool under the lobe, and rotate it against the rock. Work the stem back and forth and down as you go. Bigger cams have holes that you can grab with your nut tool.

One of the best techniques for bootying abandoned cams behind expanding flakes is to stand/bounce on another cam to open the crack up. See where the flake is attached, and place the cam as far out as you can to get the most leverage. You can also hammer in pins (!!!) to open up the expando.

Always place your cams so that the stem is in the direction of the load. If you stick them in horizontally, they will rotate down, driving the inside set of lobes into the (usually constricting) inner portion of the crack.

deleted
Deleted

Feb 15, 2004, 12:12 AM
Post #7 of 18 (2552 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote:00f298b3ea="geezergecko"]Well, there was this tool called "Friend of a Friend" which was used to remove - you guessed it - a Friend (WC cam).[/quote:00f298b3ea]

indeed there was. you would place the business end on the stem of the cam; a pair of hooks engaged the trigger bar, and, unless your bonehead leader had run that unit all the way to the firewall, voila! the cam was out!

and the cool thing was ... [i:00f298b3ea]the tool worked on all cams[/i:00f298b3ea]!

well ... if you recall, due to the patent, back in the day it was pretty much wild country friends, so [i:00f298b3ea]of course [/i:00f298b3ea]the thing worked on all cams.
[i:00f298b3ea][/i:00f298b3ea]

dirtineye

Feb 15, 2004, 4:01 AM
Post #8 of 18 (2565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Well, there was this tool called "Friend of a Friend" which was used to remove - you guessed it - a Friend (WC cam).

indeed there was. you would place the business end on the stem of the cam; a pair of hooks engaged the trigger bar, and, unless your bonehead leader had run that unit all the way to the firewall, voila! the cam was out!

and the cool thing was ... the tool worked on all cams!

well ... if you recall, due to the patent, back in the day it was pretty much wild country friends, so of course the thing worked on all cams.

I spent about 30 minutes on the phone with Ed Leeper tryign to get him to make a new cam removal tool, ( He made the original Friend of a Friend), and he didn't have any interest LOL.

He felt that there were so many different cams that it would be hard to make one tool that would work on most of em, and that people were much better these days at not getting them stuck in the first place, and at getting them out in ways that did not require a special tool.

jer

Feb 15, 2004, 5:05 AM
Post #9 of 18 (2565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I made one a few years back. It worked GREAT!
Then, it was on my harness in Jtree when the Hidden Valley campground was packed. I left my harness under Left Ski Track and sprinted to the bathroom. When I got back, someone had ganked it off my harness!!!!
I never made another one, but it worked very well(3 booty pieces). Mebbe I could find my blueprints round here some place...

jer

scubasnyder

Feb 16, 2004, 3:39 AM
Post #10 of 18 (2565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ive only seen a nut tool with hooks on the handle, but i rarely get a cam stuck, so i would not invest in it.

tedc

Feb 16, 2004, 4:03 PM
Post #11 of 18 (2565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have one called Friend of a Friend. Made by Ed Leeper I believe. Really specifically designed to work on Forged friends but can work on other brands. I'll try to take a pic tonight and post tomorrow.

jer

Feb 16, 2004, 4:22 PM
Post #12 of 18 (2565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I called mine "The Booty Buddy".

Big reward for it's return someday.

jer

styndall

Feb 16, 2004, 4:49 PM
Post #13 of 18 (2565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I spent about 30 minutes on the phone with Ed Leeper tryign to get him to make a new cam removal tool, ( He made the original Friend of a Friend), and he didn't have any interest LOL.

I could really use something like that. I was following dirko up Art at T-Wall and could not for the life of me tug out a cam that had walked waaaaay back in a horizontal near the ground. I left it and finished the climb, then we rapped down, and Dirk led back up to it, plugged some gear, hung, and finally managed to jerk that little bastard out. He admonished me about not being afraid to break it when I was pulling, apparently forgetting that he's got like 50 pounds of hardcore upper body muscle on me.

We skinny little punks need some kind of mechanical removal advantage somehow.

watchme

Feb 16, 2004, 5:27 PM
Post #14 of 18 (2566 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I still have one of those "Friend of a Friend" gadgets. If anyone wants to buy it for historical reasons, let me know. It actually works on Metolius cams, but then so do most nut tools.

wlderdude

Feb 17, 2004, 4:51 PM
Post #15 of 18 (2565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Can somone post a picture of one of these "Friend of a Friend" tools.

I once found a really nice and new looking Metolius cam way over camed in a parralel crack. I tried for half an hour to get it out, but only got it stuck deeper.

So I went to my car and got the handle for the jack. It was a rod with a handle on one end and a pin diven through on the other. I just slid the rod along the top and when the pin caught, its momentum pushed the cam sideways. It beat up the cam a bit, but not in any way that compromised its strength. The rock was not damaged. It worked great!

tedc

Feb 17, 2004, 5:06 PM
Post #16 of 18 (2565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Can somone post a picture of one of these "Friend of a Friend" tools.

I just submitted a photo of mine. Pending aproval by mods, I'll post the link here.

Partner coylec

Feb 17, 2004, 5:33 PM
Post #17 of 18 (2565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ted - is it for sale?

:lol:

coylec

tedc

Feb 17, 2004, 8:45 PM
Post #18 of 18 (2565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here is the link to the Friend of a Friend picture.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...n=Show&PhotoID=26032

Oh yea, it is for SALE. $25 for a "useful" piece of history.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook