Forums: Rockclimbing.com: Suggestions & Feedback:
may I remind everyone that the routes db search engine...
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Suggestions & Feedback

Premier Sponsor:

daisuke

Mar 10, 2004, 5:17 PM
Post #1 of 10 (2950 views)
Shortcut

may I remind everyone that the routes db search engine...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sucks?

I tried to find fingers in a light socket because I didn't know where it was... and nothing, I did a google search and the first link that came up was rc.com's description of the route, I think it's rather bad that this is true... being that rc.com runs the database...

D

overlord

Mar 10, 2004, 5:19 PM
Post #2 of 10 (2950 views)
Shortcut

Re: may I remind everyone that the routes db search engine.. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just click on "routes" above "north america" on hte sidebar.

Partner coldclimb

Mar 10, 2004, 5:28 PM
Post #3 of 10 (2950 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I noticed the same thing a while back. Both the forums search and the routes search a lot of the time will not find me results any better thansorting through the stuff manually.

hyhuu

Mar 10, 2004, 6:29 PM
Post #4 of 10 (2950 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well the db sucks in general. Some areas have lots of route description and photos but nothing on the location, how to get there. What's the point?

Partner rrrADAM

Mar 10, 2004, 6:45 PM
Post #5 of 10 (2950 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Well the db sucks in general. Some areas have lots of route description and photos but nothing on the location, how to get there. What's the point?

I noticed that you have entered zero info into the RDB, so maybe you don't understand "the point".

The RDB is a continual "work in progress", and all users are invited to contribute to it. We do not buy the info or get it elsewhere, but instead 10% of the users proactively enter the info for all to use. It is a free resource for all to use.

Anyone can add or edit any of the info in the RDB for the benifit of all. All are encouraged to do so for the benifit of all, but many times, some just complain rather than actually become part of the sollution and add to it.

With this in mind... If you know directions to an Area that doesn't have the directions listed, please click "edit" and update the info for the benifit of all. The pojnt is, it is an opportunity for all climbers to share what they know about areas worldwide, if you do not wish to share that is fine, it is still free for you to use, and maybe someone else will eventually do the work for you. :wink:

daisuke

Mar 10, 2004, 7:16 PM
Post #6 of 10 (2950 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

overlord

I know that the route is in the US, but I wanted to know exactly where in the US, and I didn't know what state or area it was in.

the forum search at least works somewhat, but I didn't even get results with just entering the word "fingers" into the route search engine so as to have had a lot of entries I could have sorted thru. and no other variations on the name of the route such as finger or socket yeilded any reponse either. moreover, when a search doesn't turn up any routes, it doesn't tell you, it just shows a blank page.

It occurs to me that the routes db search engine should be much easier to handle than a forum search for example, since the nature of the route db is much more static than that of the forums. perhaps this should be the next part of the website to tackle? search features? good search features make a website much much easier to use in general when you don't know where to look for things as happens with most newbies.

D

Partner rrrADAM

Mar 10, 2004, 7:24 PM
Post #7 of 10 (2950 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The RDB is getting a major overhaul, and this is one thig that is gonna be fixed.

overlord

Mar 12, 2004, 8:40 AM
Post #8 of 10 (2950 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i tried the search and see what you mean.

the funny thing is, i didnt get any route with fingers in the name. maybe its not in the RDB???

hyhuu

Mar 12, 2004, 12:56 PM
Post #9 of 10 (2950 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I noticed that you have entered zero info into the RDB, so maybe you don't understand "the point".

The RDB is a continual "work in progress", and all users are invited to contribute to it. We do not buy the info or get it elsewhere, but instead 10% of the users proactively enter the info for all to use. It is a free resource for all to use.

Anyone can add or edit any of the info in the RDB for the benifit of all. All are encouraged to do so for the benifit of all, but many times, some just complain rather than actually become part of the sollution and add to it.

With this in mind... If you know directions to an Area that doesn't have the directions listed, please click "edit" and update the info for the benifit of all. The pojnt is, it is an opportunity for all climbers to share what they know about areas worldwide, if you do not wish to share that is fine, it is still free for you to use, and maybe someone else will eventually do the work for you. :wink:

Adam,
After rereading my post, I realized that it was inappropriate and I understand the your point just fine. My comment was direct at the user's inputs rather than the db itself. I would be glad to contribute but it seems any information I know has already been entered in by others. And I don't want to plagiarize the guidebooks. But in the future I'll try harder to contribute. Climb on.

Partner tim

Mar 12, 2004, 10:44 PM
Post #10 of 10 (2950 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

d00d, Hung has a valid point, there are things about the routesdb and the search engine that are severely broken. The replacement engine is finally ready, but it's not going to solve everything -- right now, for example, it's challenging to target a search on individual routes because we don't have a means of displaying single routes. Some of the navigation is particularly screwy due to the truncated hierarchy. The permissions (which I think Eric fixed last week?) were something out of the stone age. And so on.

Bottom line is, Hung is not just bitching, and we do have a significant amount of work to do before the routesdb is as usable as, say, a guidebook (or even Mick's site, for example -- though Mick charges for his higher-quality layouts). We've started working on the new routesdb, and should hit our stride soon enough, but that doesn't change the fact that it's been rotting away (architecturally, not from lack of contributions but from lack of a foundation) for quite some time due to more pressing concerns (like for example paying the bills and figuring out how we can afford to serve the number of users we now have).

I am hopeful that the coming quick-fixes for search (site-wide and per-category) will be useful, and that in a few months we'll have a more flexible framework with better tools for users and managers to maintain the database. If we could get to the point where people could add a topo, mark it up with a line for their route, and have the picture and the description link to each other (click back and forth), I think we'd see a real jump in the usefulness of the database. In addition, better geographic/map support will be huge. We have the maps and such, it's simply a matter of a small staff with a lot of code to write.

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook