Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

carnaged

Mar 24, 2004, 11:12 PM
Post #1 of 34 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Belly button piercings
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I recently got this random urge to get my belly button pierced, and going to get it done on Friday, but I'm not sure how long it will take to heal up and I'm afraid of yarking it on my harness on a fall... How many of you girlies have it done, and how do you avoid such disasters?

winter

Mar 25, 2004, 12:01 AM
Post #2 of 34 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Re: Belly button piercings [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've had mine done for ages (like over 5 years). I have never had it catch on anything, even in the summer when I'm climbing in a sports bra/bikini top.
Initially it was sore for about 2 weeks, I'd say a month to totally heal. I washed it every day 2x with neutrogena 'pure' glycerin soap. You have to make sure to turn the ring so the soap goes through the whole then rinse that too.
Have fun!

iamthewallress

Mar 25, 2004, 1:02 AM
Post #3 of 34 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yours healed in a month? Mine took two years and it still gives me greif from time to time!

It shouldn't catch on your harness. If you get a dumbell style one instead of a ring you are probably safer.

I put a giant bandaid over mine when I went on a week-long trip shortly after getting it done. Now I just try to wipe it with antiseptic pads in these situations.

hyrejk6

Mar 25, 2004, 5:05 AM
Post #4 of 34 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My bar has never caught on my climbing harness, but it does get pushed around. I got the bar because I was worried that a ring might catch. And, you can put a bandaid over top a bar whereas it will affect how a ring heals if you do that. During the first few months after you get it, climbing and the harness might cause discomfort in that area.
My piercing took like a year and a half to heal, however I was given terrible info on how to help it heal.
Here's some good advice that I learned... Use a salt water solution on it. Also, shell out the money for the Betadine, which can be found at a drug store. Carry a tiny bottle of it in your first aid kit. Sometimes my piercing will get sensitive after I've been camping for a week and haven't showered.

Partner missedyno

Mar 25, 2004, 3:02 PM
Post #5 of 34 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i got my navel pierced and hated it.

once i learned about how much care it took to heal, i felt like i had a kid to take care of... wash this much with that, don't wear clothes that do this or that... rinse under water for this long this many times a day, apply this then this yadda yadda

all of a sudden this little piece of steel was dictating when i showered, for how long and what i wore.

i got my pliers out and took that baby out 2 weeks later.

angelaa

Mar 25, 2004, 3:22 PM
Post #6 of 34 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My girlfriend and I were on our way to go get our navels pierced! Then one of the girls that I worked with at the time told me that she had it done a few years earlier, was constantly infected (no matter how much she cleaned it or took antibiotics), it never healed, built up amazing amounts of scar tissue and she ended up having to get plastic surgery to make her belly button look normal again. She then showed it to me, and it was anything but normal. :?
That was the end of me wanting to get a belly button ring!
She also told me that you have to be careful what type of pants you wear when it is healing (but with today's low-rise pant fad, you should be OK), and that pantyhose are a big pain as well (if you have to wear them for work or something)

good luck and let us know how it goes. . . . . :lol:

adventureman

Mar 25, 2004, 4:11 PM
Post #7 of 34 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It all depends on how quickly you heal and how your body handles foreign objects. My wife had hers done several years ago, but took it out after about 6 months. Hers never fully healed, and since we were in karate at the time, it was constantly being rubbed and irritated by her gi pants. Like angelaa said, though, with today's low-rise jeans and pants, for normal every-day wear that shouldn't be a problem.

Make sure you're going somewhere reputable; you don't want to run any infection risks. Make sure they autoclave (heat sterilize) all their tools and that the ring or bar going into you touches nothing but sterile gloves or dressing before you get pierced.

Best of luck! :D

winter

Mar 25, 2004, 6:48 PM
Post #8 of 34 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can't believe all these stories, mine has never given me a single day of trouble after the initial month or so. I can pull on it, wear whatever I want, you name it, it is totally hassle free. I adore it, I would get more piercings if I weren't a total pansy.

cliffraven

Mar 25, 2004, 7:24 PM
Post #9 of 34 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You shouldn't have a problem, if you keep it clean and use teatree oil/soap but not the kind from the bodyshop because it sux! I've had mine forever and it's all good, never had one problem.

have fun on friday!! I say go for it!!

e

frolic

Mar 25, 2004, 7:57 PM
Post #10 of 34 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I happen to really love my belly ring (a piercing that was long since healed before I started climbing), but a word to the wise - if you are climbing in a sports bra/bikini top or otherwise bare-bellied, make sure there is nothing sticking out on the jewelry (eg prongs holding a stone in place). As long as you have smooth edges on all parts of the ring, it shouldn't get caught on your harness. Do make sure you know what you're getting into before piercing anything, though - permanently altering your body is generally not a good thing to do on a whim. :wink:

rckclimbergurl

Mar 25, 2004, 11:42 PM
Post #11 of 34 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've had mine for over a year and I really like it. (Since March 20th of 2003, dont' ask how I remember weird dates, maybe cuz it's on the same day of the month as my birthday.)

When I got it done they said to clean it twice a day for 2 months, then once a day for the next 4 months, and you weren't supposed to change it for at least 6 months. You weren't supposed to go in pools, or especially hot tubs, for at least 5 months for risk of infection.

Well, here's what I did. Cleaned it twice a day for about 2 weeks, than once a day for awhile, than not at all unless I was having a bath or shower or something. Didn't go in pools or hot tubs for awhile, but only because there wasn't one around. Changed it at 4 months, and it's never once given me a problem. Everyone's different though. I can put anything in my ears and not have a problem. But when my sisters got theirs done, they had to wear 22 carot (sp?) gold earrings and clean them as often as possible. They still got infected. Needless to say, they took them out.

I haven't worn a short shirt though while climbing yet, for exactly that reason. I get these visions of me falling on lead and the harness catching on it as it gets pulled up by the rope and the barbell comes ripping out. Freaks me out! So can't say what happens there, but by the looks of previous posters.. it's all good.

Good luck Kat!! :D

Partner coylec

Mar 25, 2004, 11:49 PM
Post #12 of 34 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In my opinoin, body piercing is highly rewarding, if you follow the proper procedures.

I would have to recommend against using oils on a new piercing. The best idea is to use a medical grade soap, such as provon or satin. Anti-bacteria soaps containing fragerences will irritate your piercing. You should wash it once a day, as part of your normal cleansing routine (i.e. if you shower/bathe in the morning, clean it then). It should be the last thing you do before you get out of the shower - that way your hands are clean. Some recommend working the soap into the piercing, though I have found this not to generally be necessary. Opposite the cleansing with soap, you should soak it a solution of warm water and sea salts (approximately 1 tsp sea salt to 8 oz warm water). Using a clean paper towel or q-tip, remove any "crusties". Wash your hands first. You should avoid touching your piercing for any reason during the healing period. Navel piercings should take between 1 month and 3 monthes to heal. If you experience infection issues after this time, you should see your piercer.

Your piercer should provide aftercare instructions when the piercing is done. Many will give you both sea salts and soap. You should check out information availible from The Association of Professional Piercers. I am not familiar with Canadian regulatiosn regarding piecings. However, you should verify that the studio steriles their equipment and jewelry in a certified autoclave or other medical sterilization device.

While I am not female, I do my navel pierced, along with other piercings. I have found that barbell (straight) and banana (curved bar) jewelry tends to get caught on things more than a ring with captive bead. With a captive bead piece, there should be no places for your harness to catch. Additionally, since you have the rope tied through the harness at at point, when the rope catches you, it should pull the harness away from the piercing.

For the record, I am currently researching body piercing ideology and practices for my thesis at the University of South Carolina. This is not a medically orientated project, however, I have been a piercing enthusist for a while: I currently have 5 piercings, in addition to earrings. I have had up to 11, though the navel was the lowest piercing (most people ask). I have been employed as a piercer as well.

coylec

if you have additional questions, please feel free to PM.

gardenfrog

Mar 26, 2004, 7:05 PM
Post #13 of 34 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have had my belly button pierced for several years, and have learned some things the hard way. Mine was infected for a good 3 years after I had it done, but not to the point that I felt I needed to remove it. I cleaned it properly, but still had problems. I spoke with a friend who advised me to switch from the ring to a curved barbell. I went to the same place that I had it done at (very professional and steril) so that they could switch out the jewelry for me. They said that they do not even use the rings anymore because they cause too many problems. The rings did not allow the skin to move as freely as a barbell style does. They also mentioned that because my belly button was deeper than most, perspiration can build up inside and cause irritation. I still have mild irritation and infection from time to time, but it is usually associated with tight clothing. My new jewelry has 2 round beads at either end, and I have never come close to catching it on ANYTHING. I say go for it! Despite the problems I am so glad I had it done.

mtnchik

Mar 26, 2004, 7:21 PM
Post #14 of 34 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I got my belly button pierced about a year ago and didn't have that much trouble with it. The guy who pierced it said it would take anywhere from 3 months to a year to heal. I had one infection, but that was my own fault, i thought it was healed and stop cleaning it with renu solution but it hadn't quite healed yet so it became infected. My friend on the other hand had hers done for a year and half and then it got an infection so she took it out. So like stated before, the healing process depends on your body. I would say go for it, afer a week or so you'll be fine.

By the way...the renu solution is cool trick, when ever it hurts just pour some of that on it, and it'll feel better.

iamthewallress

Mar 26, 2004, 7:47 PM
Post #15 of 34 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just wanted to add...the best thing that you can do to keep it uninfected is keep your hands off of it. Although this is probably obvious, I've found that it's hard to do when it's irritated.

Also, my piercer told me to avoid alchohol and neosporin. After nearly two years of the thing feeling like a pimple, I finally started cleaning it with alcohol and using neosporin, and the problem cleared up in a week and hasn't been back.

imnotclever

Mar 26, 2004, 8:16 PM
Post #16 of 34 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Also, my piercer told me to avoid alchohol and neosporin. After nearly two years ....

:shock: I can't imagine not drinking for two years. OH...

Somebody was going to say it. :wink:

carnaged

Mar 27, 2004, 6:34 AM
Post #17 of 34 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Aye well, I got it done this afternoon! I started working myself up thinking it was going to hurt more than it actually did, but it was over within a couple of seconds. The piercer was really good about it, and had everything all sanitized and such. He used brand new tools out of a package, had them on a clean towel and wore gloves (non-latex, i believe).

So far it hasn't bled (even when pierced), or gotten red, which I'm taking as a good sign right now. It does feel kind of bruised around it though. I've got that annoying tingle like someone's poking at me with a pin or something, but I'm assuming it'll pass. I got some info on taking care of it, such as not using hydrogen peroxide, neosporin, polysporin or rubbing alcohol on it, and to use unfragranced antibacterial soap. etcetera.

I'm still kind of unsure about when to change it though. Tedi mentioned waiting 6 months, but the piercer said to come back within 3-6 weeks to get it changed. Heh, maybe I'll take the average of the two and go in then. Anyway, thanks for all your help and pray that my poor belly button won't get infected! :P

socialclimber

Mar 27, 2004, 10:50 AM
Post #18 of 34 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Brave gal. I had my belly botton done sevral years ago and although I love it, I'd never do it again. It all startd when I said to my wife" Those belly button rings look really sexy, why don't you get one?" and she said to me " If you like them so much why don't you get one?!" I once spent three and a half hours getting tattooed, at times by two people at once, and if I had to choose my tourture I'd go with another tattoo. I never realised just how much I really hate whopping great needles.

rockchip

Mar 27, 2004, 3:14 PM
Post #19 of 34 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Also, my piercer told me to avoid alchohol and neosporin. After nearly two years ....

:shock: I can't imagine not drinking for two years. OH...

Somebody was going to say it. :wink:

Not without a court order at least.

yaki

Mar 27, 2004, 3:56 PM
Post #20 of 34 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had my pierced for awhile
to keep it clean use sea salt...
it works wonders.. only do it every SECOND day though.. anymore than that and you'll dry it out and cause yourself so much trouble it's just nto fun heh

as for with climbing.. well.. I took mine out and let it close awhile back.. it caught too much..I imagine it wouldn't have been as bad if I put a bandaid over it but I was lazy and it was easier to take it out! heh

Partner missedyno

Mar 27, 2004, 7:35 PM
Post #21 of 34 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

when i got my nose pierced all i "treated" it with was salt water.

yep, you try to dunk your nose in salt water and remember to breathe through your mouth! it healed well and never got infected.

i have no idea how you'd manage to soak your belly button in salt water with out having a salt water bath or hitting the ocean...

rckclimbergurl

Mar 27, 2004, 8:57 PM
Post #22 of 34 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been thinking of getting my nose pierced.. just a tiny little silver stud.. I think they're cute.. don't know if would work for me though.. :?

edit: and congrats Kat on the new piercing!! WOHOOOOOOOOOOOO!! :wink: Enjoy! Is it a barbell or ring? And I don't see how or why you would want to change it in 6 weeks, because the skin is not healed yet.. the hole could cause you a lot of trouble when you're trying to put the new one in. What I did was wet the barbell that was in there and used a bit of soap so it was all slippery, and same to the new barbell, then just whipped out the first one, and since there was soap there, the new one just slid in and you didn't have to fiddle at all, worked really well. Good luck! :)

carnaged

Mar 28, 2004, 1:53 AM
Post #23 of 34 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay, so I'm on day two and have been noticing a little redness around the hole. My mom said it looks likes it's getting infected (I hope not!) How can you really tell when it's only been like 24 hours? I expected it to be red and to tingle when i tried to move it, but I almost feel like falling over and passing out when it breaks the skin. (you know, the part right around the ring that sort of attaches itself to the ring??)

I've never had any problem with piercings (except through cartilage) but I was really young when I had my lobes pierced and don't remember the healing process went... so, help me please!

carnaged

Mar 28, 2004, 1:55 AM
Post #24 of 34 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Is it a barbell or ring?

Oh yeah, it's a ring :P The piercer said the barbell he had would have been too long and would catch on almost anything! Hooray for oddly shaped navels!

mcheshi

Mar 28, 2004, 2:24 AM
Post #25 of 34 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I can't believe all these stories, mine has never given me a single day of trouble after the initial month or so. I can pull on it, wear whatever I want, you name it, it is totally hassle free. I adore it, I would get more piercings if I weren't a total pansy.

lol i peirced mine during phys. ed one day with a safety pin because my best friend said i wouldn't. never hurt, not even when i did it, it didn't get infected and was perfect for the time i had it. i took it out when the pin started to rust and got it done professionally.

i have a lot of peircings... but all are below the neck right now except for my ears which i've had since i was a month old (seriously)... and all of my piercings have healed pretty quick, maybe it just varies from person to person. my peircings didn't hurt except right as they did it and after that they just kind of sting for a while.

anyways, i presume that most people here have their belly buttons done on the top? i have mine done on the bottom and it still doesn't catch my jeans, and when you have to wear panty hose you just have to scrunch them down! i can't wear any jeans or skirts or tights or anything if it goes above my waist... i just can't stand it... but that's just me :)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook