Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Indoor Gyms:
Attention Students: College Rock Gyms....
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

badawg2002

Apr 6, 2002, 9:08 PM
Post #1 of 72 (10509 views)
Shortcut

Attention Students: College Rock Gyms....
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Which schools around the country have nice indoor rock gyms acessable to students? What do you think of the gym at your own school?

Leading off of that (excuse the pun).. what schools have outdoor climbing area's near by?

Partner sauron

Apr 6, 2002, 9:11 PM
Post #2 of 72 (10509 views)
Shortcut

Attention Students: College Rock Gyms.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As an aside, next time you go to create a new topic, please don't hit the submit button three times... Patience is a virtue, and it's annoying to have to go through and delete 2 duplicates of this topic.. (for a total of three)

Thanks,
- d.

galt

Apr 6, 2002, 11:32 PM
Post #3 of 72 (10509 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The University of Central Florida, in beautiful sunny Orlando, opened a new Recreational Facility just this semester. In it is a 42 ft. climbing tower with about 10 set routes. Our routes range from about 5.4-5.11 a. (With most of our routes falling in at about 5.4-5.7) We supply every student with a harness and a Gri Gri and we teach everyone how to belay. (Course we will just test you out if you already know how.) Our facility is open to every student and is included in your Student Activity Fee's. I work the wall and live about a 2 min. walk from it. I personally wish it were a little more difficult with more diverse routes, but we are setting new one's so it's not that bad. As for local outdoor climbing around here, unless you want to go climb the rocks at the Pirates of the Carabien at Disney you're going to be S.O.L. (yes I've done it) Florida is as flat as it comes.

rock_diva

Apr 7, 2002, 1:34 AM
Post #4 of 72 (10509 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Arizona State University in Tempe does not have an indoor rock gym, but there are two within a mile or so of the campus. ASU DOES offer rock climbing classes (two levels I believe) that are held at one of the local gyms.

tenn_dawg

Apr 7, 2002, 4:08 AM
Post #5 of 72 (10509 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The University of Tennessee has an incredible climbing gym at all students disposal. The majority of the climbing is done on a 15 foot bouldering wall, that has a ton of great problems on it. The thing is though, we also have a ton of great real climbing around. If you can drive 2 hours, you can get to at least a ten great areas. We rule here in the south.
-Travis

addiroids

Apr 7, 2002, 4:22 AM
Post #6 of 72 (10509 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Although it is another flat state, the University of Nebraska at Lincoln (Cornhuskers) has a 37 foot tall gym that is about 40-50 feet across. It has routes from 5.6 - 5.12 and a good atmosphere. It is open from 1pm until 10pm weekdays, and 10-8 weekends. There are many features on the wall and a 5.9 crack. New routes go up about 4 per month. There are about 30-40 routes on there at a time.

If I had to do it all over again, I would have applied to other places than Nebraska, but I grew up there, so I just took the easy way. But if you are looking for colleges to go to, I would say either look at CA, CO, AZ, NY, WA, or OR. Those places have the highest concentration of climbing that I know of.

TRADitionally yours,

Cali Dirtbag

crap

Apr 7, 2002, 4:51 AM
Post #7 of 72 (10509 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

UNLV has Red Rocks, but no on campus climbing unless your interested in breaking the law.

alvchen

Apr 7, 2002, 11:15 PM
Post #8 of 72 (10509 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know that almost all University of California rec centers have a wall and someone told me that each wall is identical. UC Davis has one on campus, and another larger gym nearby. I go to Santa Clara U. and there's a gym 10 minutes away, and outdoor climbs about an hours worth away.

shortsavage

Apr 7, 2002, 11:25 PM
Post #9 of 72 (10509 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have seen the University of Oregon's rock gym, it is nice. I know San Deigo State also has a good rock gym.

woodse

Apr 7, 2002, 11:53 PM
Post #10 of 72 (10509 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah,

Here in Durango we have a climbing wall, it is pretty nice, just built this last year. ALSO, we have a pretty fair amount of climbing within about 5-10 minutes of town with the closest area about 4 minutes from the campus.

woodsE

maculated

Apr 8, 2002, 12:20 AM
Post #11 of 72 (10509 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cal Poly has it's own wall, but it is not indoors. Originally it was just an overhanging piece of plywood with some holds on it, but Poly Escapes sank over $50,000 into this 40-foot wall that has some nice natural features, interchangeable holds, and adjustable slab-inversion features. I personally have never climbed on it because I'm not part of the little group that hangs out there, and because I'll take real rock any day, but it's a neat little wall. They offer free climbing to women every wednesday, so maybe I'll hit that up one day.

maculated

Apr 8, 2002, 12:22 AM
Post #12 of 72 (10509 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh yeah, the wall is also movable. The head of Poly Escapes told me once that he envisioned moving it into our rec sports basketball gym/concert hall and spreading it out all over that area, including creating roof routes. Sweet.

ponyryan

Apr 8, 2002, 12:51 AM
Post #13 of 72 (10509 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I go to OSU (Oregon State) We have a reasonably nice gym as it is. It is currently moving to our rec center. It will have much higher walls than now and be about 2 times as large (wall area) I can't wait for the move, not expected to be finished until 2003 though But, as our gym sits it is wonderful. I enjoy it very much, and the people that work there are all good people

treyr

Apr 8, 2002, 11:15 AM
Post #14 of 72 (10509 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Clemson has a decent outdoor gym but I am not sure if they ever change the routes but it does have some inclines

trob

liudolf

Apr 24, 2002, 7:54 AM
Post #15 of 72 (10509 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm stuck in Hawaii for now, and not a student (except some part time), but I will soon be moving to Chattanooga, going to the UT campus there. I don't think there is any climbing on campus, but there's SO much climbing just outside of town and and more than I could ever get tired of within a few hours drive. I can't WAIT till next summer!!!

bmgard

Apr 24, 2002, 8:14 AM
Post #16 of 72 (10509 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm also form Durango. The wall here is good but the outdoor climbing is awsome. Tons of areas with in a 20 min drive. And if you go east the front range is only 5 hours away and if your going west your 2 hours from Indian Creek.

phreakdigital

Apr 24, 2002, 9:03 AM
Post #17 of 72 (10509 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oregon State's gym is alright, but not natural features, but they are building another one soon.

howitzer

Apr 24, 2002, 1:13 PM
Post #18 of 72 (10509 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not trying to sell my school or nutin (although if they'd give me some tuition back it'd be nice!) but St. Lawrence University in upstate NY is a great school for outdoors stuff. I am pretty sure they have redone the rock wall in the field house to be larger and better... the Adirondacks are only 1 hour away, the Gunks are just downstate a ways, and Lake Placid with all its fun is just 1.5 hours away - oh and Canada is a mere 20 minutes to the boarder! It is a great school, isolated, but has great academics and an awesome outdoor program. Also, there is UNH in Durham NH (I grew up in NH so am very partial to it!) of course just 2 hours from the Whites which has great climbing. Good luck!

orngave

Apr 24, 2002, 1:14 PM
Post #19 of 72 (10509 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well to throw my two cents in, VMI, has a wall, but it isn't much to look at. We throw our own routes on it, it is mainly just for practice when we can't get outside. Because that is where the real climbing is, We have lots of resources, it is centrally located so almost anywhere in the state is worth a day trip, but really close we have goshen(TR, Trad, Bouldering) and hidden cliffs, the forrest, mcafee's knob, tinker cliffs, raven's roost, the forest, 20 min. cliffs, dripping rock, moorman's boulder, the new river gorge, and my personal favorite, hidden valley.

E.B.

mpepera

Apr 24, 2002, 1:15 PM
Post #20 of 72 (10509 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

At the University of Toledo, we have a wall that is 25 feet tall and about 35-40 feet wide. Officially you are supposed to tie in if any part of your bogy goes above the white line, which is only seven feet off the ground. That rule was ignored and we made sure that we are always safe, ie not going higher than a normal boulder problem and making sure to spot each other, then our rec center administrators heard about a lawsuit involvin the climbing gym at Ohio University so they put an end to that. Now, we just have some really interesting traverses because no one feels like tying in to work on short little routes that aren't any harder than 5.6 or 5.7

There is nothing in the way of outdoor climbing here, but the buildings have some really interesting texture that makes it possible to climb them. Also, we are a straight shot down I-75 to the Red River Gorge, but it takes 5 hours.

Mike

orestes1724

Apr 24, 2002, 1:25 PM
Post #21 of 72 (10509 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

at the white mountian school in NH their is a gym. i had a compatition there a few weeks ago. they have a pretty nice gym, awesome fetures. its one of the best gyms i have ever been to.

vaness

Apr 24, 2002, 1:53 PM
Post #22 of 72 (10509 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my school has a wall. its holds are mae out of wood. and its extremely easy and i dont userstand the point of it cuz we arent even allowed to use it

howitzer

Apr 24, 2002, 2:27 PM
Post #23 of 72 (10509 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah NH gurrrlz! Wazup? I myself grew up about 1 hour north of you guys - great state. OBTW - the post was about colleges, but sounds like you guys go to cool high schools Say hi to my fav. state for me...

qacwac

Apr 24, 2002, 2:38 PM
Post #24 of 72 (10509 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I go to Middle TN State University. We've got a pretty good indoor wall and another crappy one. We also have climbing classes. (That's how I got started a long 4 months ago). There are small outdoor areas within an hour and some really good ones between 1and 2 hours away.

spectral

May 9, 2002, 8:55 PM
Post #25 of 72 (10509 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

UCLA: a very well kept (but rather small) rock wall at the John Wooden Center. The staff are top-notch, and there are a variety of routes for both top ropers and boulderers. Difficulty ranges go from a couple of 5.6's to 5.12's / V8's. Best of all, it's pretty cheap for students. As you all know, southern cal has good local climbing all around: Stoney Point, Malibu Creek, Horse Flats, and Joshua Tree is not too far. Plus, there are plenty of excellent gyms to train at. And the weather is usually fine for climbing.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook