Premier Sponsor:

carnaged

Mar 28, 2004, 3:25 AM
Post #1 of 10 (281 views)
Shortcut

Help, virus!
Report this Post
Can't Post

So for the past couple of weeks/months I've been attacked with this computer virus that was found in volume controls. It was called something like the Beagle.w32 worm and AVG constantly deleted files that were infected... I tried looking up ways to get rid of it but I couldn't find the tool, I searched both Symantec and Microsoft and had no luck.

I eventually gave up after noticing that it stopped deleting the files, but just kept detecting the same one over and over again.

Until yesterday when I restarted my computer, a blue screen came up saying something like:

"Windows was shut down to prevent further damage (etc)

UNMOUNTABLE_VOLUME_BOOT

If this is the first time you are seeing this warning, restart the computer booting Windows normally.

If not then follow these steps:

When restarting press F8 to run Windows in safe mode and make sure any new software or hardware is undamaged."

And then it goes onto saying something about contacting your manufactorer if you don't find any problems in the new hardware/software.

But the problem is that I can't get into Windows because everytime I restart the computer this same warning shows up and I can do nothing BUT re-restart it. I don't know what to do, and can't afford to have someone from Shaw come down to fix it. I don't want to wipe out my computer and reinstall Windows because I've so much information stored on my computer such as pictures, addresses, phone numbers, school work etcetera.

Ahh... help!

brianthew

Mar 28, 2004, 3:47 AM
Post #2 of 10 (281 views)
Shortcut

Re: Help, virus! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The errors you're getting now are likely not at all due to the virus.

However, it seems that your hard disk is damaged (either physically, or just some accidental random foorbaring). You might be able to do a recover using the command-line utilities that can be found on a Windows boot floopy. However, if it were my computer I'd just re-install windows, sort of a clean-slate deal, complete with formatting of disks.

Do you have access to another computer with a CD burner? Also, does your computer have a CD burner installed onto it? If this is the case, there is a good solution that allows you to reformat and keep your data. In general terms, you'd download a burn a CD that contains a version of Linux called "Knoppix." You pop this into your computer's CD drive, start it up, and the computer will load from the CD rather than it's disks. It's an operating system the runs off the CD, not touching your disks or system at all. Through this, you can access your Windows disks (assuming they are still recoverable) burn whatever files you want from them onto a CD-R, then re-format and copy the saved files back onto your computer. I can post some specific directions for this.

If you don't have a CD-burner installed on your computer, you can still do the above steps only they will be a bit more complicated and require some other media to store your data on.

carnaged

Mar 28, 2004, 4:02 AM
Post #3 of 10 (281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I do have a burner installed on my computer, and can get access to someone who has a "working" computer with a burner on it as well. If you could post a step by step thing, that would be great and I could find out if it'd work or not (some way or another).

organic

Mar 28, 2004, 4:08 AM
Post #4 of 10 (281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Alright this is what you do, what I do. Follow the steps in order or else it probably will not work.

What you will need:
1-12 Pack of beer
1-Good amount of patience
1-Windows CD
1-Windows KEY

First open 1 beer of the 12ver, if you open more then one you will have to start over tomorrow.

Second open a second beer and excercize some of that patience,

Third repeat step two twice.

Fourth insert CD and if it asks you to boot from CD choose yes otherwise open another beer and go into the Bios and for the boot option make sure it says ATAPI or CDROM or something of that kind

FIfth reinstall windows if it is windows 2000 they give you a chance to fix errors if you can do this.

Sixth drink more beer and forget your worries till tomorrow.

organic

Mar 28, 2004, 4:11 AM
Post #5 of 10 (281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

PS> Brian man there are many steps you can take before a full reformat. It is very unlikely a physical problem especially if you were running windows 98 or before and because you had the virus it greatly increases the chances of a simple FUBMR(most repair). Trying reinstalling over the old operating system most likely it is an MBR issue or such which will be easily remedied yes. hmm

carnaged

Mar 28, 2004, 4:16 AM
Post #6 of 10 (281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oh yeah, it's Windows XP.

And I want to avoid reinstalling Windows AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE.

organic

Mar 28, 2004, 4:19 AM
Post #7 of 10 (281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

reinstalling windows will not affect any of the data at all!!! It will only install the windows components please rethink your current endeavor and examine the real issue are computers the real answer we need!!! Reinstalling windows will save you my friend

brianthew

Mar 28, 2004, 4:22 AM
Post #8 of 10 (281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Go with Organic's less drastic solution, unless of course you're going to be using Canadian beer.

overlord

Mar 29, 2004, 8:36 AM
Post #9 of 10 (281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the best sollution:

1. back up all important files (games not included here)

2. format c:

3. reinstall linux

rendog

Mar 29, 2004, 10:04 AM
Post #10 of 10 (281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Go with Organic's less drastic solution, unless of course you're going to be using Canadian beer.

careful on the canadian beer shots man...

a case of Alexander kieths will put you down if consumed like that. hmmm may not be such a bad thing after all :idea: *pshsst* :roll:

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook