Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

ginerbiner

Apr 2, 2004, 6:53 PM
Post #26 of 65 (9500 views)
Shortcut

Re: Sleep well my friend [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Oh, I'm so sorry. My prayers are with all those who knew and loved him. A loss for us all.

reno

Apr 3, 2004, 6:50 PM
Post #27 of 65 (9500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Let's not turn this into a political debate, as it doesn't show the respect due the person mentioned in this thread.

My sympathies to the family and friends.

Very well said, Adam... thanks for keeping us on track.

I extend my sympathy to the family of Scott. May they find strength to make it through this terrible tragedy.

rvega

Apr 3, 2004, 7:34 PM
Post #28 of 65 (9500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I mistakenly started another thread on this. But I'll post the link here as well. It has a nice picture of Scott rock climbing.

www.nytimes.com/2004/04/03/national/03VICT.html

And I send my tears and thoughts of healing to the family.

harrisha

Apr 3, 2004, 8:13 PM
Post #29 of 65 (9500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My concolences and thanks. I don't want to hijack this into a political thread but someone stated earlier that we need o pull out now. We can't pull out untill the job we started is finished or elso the 500+ soldiers and and all the civilians who have died in Iraq have died in vain. If we pull out now we leave a country in a state of anarchy and Iraq won't be any better off. No won wins at war.

My thanks to his family for their sacrifice to help in making this world better for all of us.

ratstar

Apr 3, 2004, 8:15 PM
Post #30 of 65 (9500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Let's not turn this into a political debate, as it doesn't show the respect due the person mentioned in this thread.

Spoken ever so true. That doesnt belong here.

My sympathies.

hawaii_climbing_guy

Apr 3, 2004, 10:38 PM
Post #31 of 65 (9500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
This is why we need to leave...and soon. In honor of your friend I hope a Somalia type uprising will occur! Stop the killing..all it does is hurt...
I hope you don't really mean that. http://www.homestead.com/.../pictures033104.html I don't believe that anyone in their right mind here in America wants to see any more of this. I will not stand by while you suggest that our people deserved this because we toppled a monster's reign of terror.

tempestwind

Apr 3, 2004, 10:46 PM
Post #32 of 65 (9500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My Heart and My Tears to his family.

beaner_says_hi

Apr 3, 2004, 11:03 PM
Post #33 of 65 (9500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I was thinking the same.

I'm very sorry for your loss and for the families impacted by this heinous act. My heart goes out to you.

granitegod

Apr 3, 2004, 11:14 PM
Post #34 of 65 (9500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

An absolutely mind-bogglingly senseless and barbaric act. The horror....

meataxe

Apr 4, 2004, 1:10 AM
Post #35 of 65 (9500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My condolences on this tragic loss.

And to clear up what may be a misconception for some...
In reply to:
If only G. Bush would have allowed other contractors besides the Americans, perhaps we could have avoided this terrible and most unfortunate situation. Thank Dubya and his cabinet for the deaths of our friends.

Not only Americans and other alliance countries are involved in the contracting. You may remember that Canada decided to skip this one...

http://www.canada.com/...f1-bc58-92c0f6198796

He may not be the last Canadian to be killed in the ongoing conflict.

dbtex

Apr 4, 2004, 2:12 AM
Post #36 of 65 (9500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ii'm sorry for your loss. May peace come to you and those who will miss him. Most especially his children and wife...most especially them.

dredsovrn

Apr 4, 2004, 2:13 AM
Post #37 of 65 (9500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry to hear that. Tragic.

climbtothebeet

Apr 4, 2004, 2:40 AM
Post #38 of 65 (9500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oh man, thats hard core, ill pray for ya.

its so easy for us to climb a wall, risking our life for enjoyment. but, what this guy did, risking it not for his enjoyment, but MY safety. hes there because i can't. may he rest in peace, and find heaven beutiful. God bless

addiroids

Apr 4, 2004, 3:02 AM
Post #39 of 65 (9500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude, I'm sorry to hear that. Those people over there truely hate America.

By the way, how many Americans were ambushed and dragged through the streets of Hiroshima and Nagasaki after we finished the war over there? Huh...none. Just a suggestion. I'm sure the mid east post A-bomb would make a great retirement community for the millions of baby boomers whose loving parents ridded the world of Hitler and who are retiring now.

TRADitionally yours,

Cali Dirtbag

Partner macherry

Apr 4, 2004, 3:33 AM
Post #40 of 65 (9500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my condolences to the family and friends. It is terrible indeed. My spouse had been considering a contracting job in Iraq through an engineering firm. Something like this sure hits close to home.

Political commentary aside, no one wants to see such atrocities! Very sad.

Partner tim

Apr 4, 2004, 3:36 AM
Post #41 of 65 (9500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I hope the following does not come across as too 'political'. However, I believe that the families of the four men slain in Fallujah deserve a little better than the sort of mindless pablum I just read. All of these men were distinguished soldiers with decorated careers and knew they were accepting a hazardous task. Nothing, however, can excuse the subhuman acts that were perpetuated upon them, and our moral outrage at the disgusting cowards who participated is inevitable. Nonetheless, your flippant comments are scarcely more impressive than the deeds of the animals in Fallujah...

In reply to:
By the way, how many Americans were ambushed and dragged through the streets of Hiroshima and Nagasaki after we finished the war over there? Huh...none. Just a suggestion. I'm sure the mid east post A-bomb would make a great retirement community for the millions of baby boomers whose loving parents ridded the world of Hitler and who are retiring now.

My god, I hope that's a troll. (Everyone knows that a strip mall parking lot goes there!)

What a delightful idea -- nuke everyone that annoys us. Perhaps we should give the all-clear to India, Pakistan, North Korea, and Iran regarding this. One minor problem -- if we drop a nuke on everyone who does something naughty out of sheer powerlessness, one will eventually be dropped on us (and sooner rather than later). Pre-emptive conflicts are not a sustainable doctrine; if it's ok for the US to attack another nation unprovoked (and with the gravest of weapons), then 9-11-2001 was just another day, and what Al Qaeda did was justified under our own foreign policies (as they pre-emptively attacked the USA in order to punish the women and children who were oppressing Palestine et al). Furthermore, what exactly were we doing over there if nukes are acceptable? Yeah...

Will Fallujah be paved? Probably, even if it's just "by accident". Are Iraqi civilian casualties (in their homes and businesses) somehow more acceptable than overseas American casualties? If you believe so, does that make you a racist, or just a jingoist?

Scott Helvenston, Jerry Zovko, Michael Teague, and Wesley Batalona did not deserve this -- nothing can excuse the actions of the townspeople who participated in these acts of barbarousness. Islam does not pardon them and neither should the US. HOWEVER, it would be no less an atrocity for the US to kill thousands of innocent Iraqi civilians than it was for sub-human Iraqi street thugs to murder and mutilate Scott and his coworkers. Whether by dropping daisy cutters on residential areas of Fallujah, or your (hopefully tongue-in-cheek) suggestion to 'nuke the bastards', the responsibility of a civilized nation is to avoid unnecessary civilian casualties even as the fog of war envelops them. The Japanese, you may recall, attacked the United States, on American soil -- they brought their losses upon themselves. Post-reconstruction Iraq (even Fallujah) is in no position to invade and poses no such threat. If it's OK in your book to bomb the shit out of civilians pre-emptively, it logically follows that what happened to these men was no big deal. I have trouble with that statement... so I'm going to suggest an alternative.

The Blackwater company is placing donations to the families of the four security consultants in a documented trust with notes kept on the declared purpose of the donations. If you would like to help support their families, you may mail checks to:

In reply to:
Memorial Fund
PO Box 159
Moyock, NC 27958

Please Make checks Payable to:
Memorial Fund

Please no cash contributions.

My condolences to Scott's family, he seemed like a man who truly enjoyed life. One suspects that none of the thugs who committed these disgraceful acts will ever know such happiness, and rightly so. Nor should they know the satisfaction of achieving any political goals from their actions, but rather the inexorable and steady hand of justice.

socalclimber

Apr 4, 2004, 4:05 AM
Post #42 of 65 (9500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Boy, I don't even know what to say. Some people are just incapable of accepting that someone is hurting at the loss of a loved one. So, some people just have to pop in with their ever narrowing political views of the universe. Who cares what you think politicaly.

Here's something novel, the person who started this thread is grieving, so, how about supporting them without all the political nonsense? Here's another novel idea:

I'M REALLY SORRY YOU LOST YOUR FRIEND. MY THOUGHTS ARE WITH YOU AND HIS FAMILY.

Not real complicated is it?

kalcario

Apr 4, 2004, 4:05 AM
Post #43 of 65 (9500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

* HOWEVER, it would be no less an atrocity for the US to kill thousands of innocent Iraqi civilians than it was for sub-human Iraqi street thugs to murder and mutilate Scott and his coworkers.*

You mean, it *is* no less an atrocity...

addiroids

Apr 4, 2004, 4:12 AM
Post #44 of 65 (9500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Uhh yeah dude, I was just joking. I am truely sorry for tripper's loss, and I enjoy having all the retirees here in Palm Springs. They have a lot of money and need personal training.

TRADitionally yours,

Cali Dirtbag

sharpender

Apr 4, 2004, 4:23 AM
Post #45 of 65 (9500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As much as I don't like Dubya and want him the hell out of dodge for putting our people in harms way, not to mention the deaths of 6,000 (or is it 9,000) Iraqi civilians, I thank (blame) the psycho terrorists for the deaths of these men. Killing people who are guarding food that will feed the children of Iraq? War is not sad. War is hell. First attributed to General Sherman after he saw what he had done to the South.

andypro

Apr 4, 2004, 5:06 AM
Post #46 of 65 (9500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm so glad someone else (tim) feels the same as I do. It's getting to be a rare day when one can cross someone with compassion instead of hatred in a situation like this.

It's also sad that everyone is blaming the Iraqi's. They didn't do it. The very very small number of resistance still aligned with the bath and mujahadin (my appologies if tha'ts spelled wrong) among many other now insurgant groups are to blame. As well, it's certainly not Islam that deserves blame either. It's one of the most peaceful religions on this planet if practiced properly. You only hear on the news about those who dont, however.

Someone mentioned that, basically, these guys "knew what they were getting in to". Tha'ts true, but also rather sharp at the same time. The most touching thing is that they DID know what they could be walking in to, yet they went anyways...because they wanted to help. Companies make money, not the people. Especially if they knew what it was like over there, we have to commend, honor, and cherish thier commitment to the Iraqi people because they went anyways. That's the saddest part of all...they only wanted to help :cry:

Edit to say: I'd like to clarify what I meant with my statement of "It's also sad that everyone is blaming the Iraqi's." I meant as a whole from what I see in the US, not on RC.com.

thewyseclimber

Apr 5, 2004, 6:18 AM
Post #47 of 65 (9500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To everyone it may concern, and especially to tripperjm, who made the original post:

I apologize for being the first to spout my political viewpoints on this website, especially in regards to a situation as serious and personal as this. As much as I disagree with the Iraqi conflict, this was no place to make this opinion known, and I failed to take into account the feelings and situations of those people who were directly involved. My prayers, apologies, and condolences are extended to the families and friends of those that were killed. May God grant us the peace we all long for so dearly...

jodymc

Apr 9, 2004, 4:37 PM
Post #48 of 65 (9500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My hearts go out to you and all his friends and family. He is yet another person that makes our country great. God Bless Yet Another Hero!

bellatoris

Apr 9, 2004, 5:45 PM
Post #49 of 65 (9500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jack, my condolences to you and his family.
Ascanio

climbersoze

Apr 9, 2004, 6:17 PM
Post #50 of 65 (9500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For anyone from the Hampton Roads area -

Rock Bottom Grill (down off 23rd street at the Va Beach oceanfront) is having a benefit tonight for the families of the guys that were killed in Iraq.

The contractors hung out at the bar the week before heading over to Iraq, and it hit the owner (a man I know) pretty hard, so he wanted to do something for the families.

Again - its Rock Bottom Grill located on Atlantic Ave. between 23rd and 24th street at the Virginia Beach oceanfront.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook