Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

collegekid

Apr 9, 2004, 6:27 AM
Post #1 of 36 (3643 views)
Shortcut

paying to climb at school's wall?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

At my school, student's are charged (a reduced) fee to climb at the climbing wall. How many people out there are also paying to climb at their university's climbing wall? How many climb free of charge?

Just wondering if it's worth my time to try to get the wall paid for by the school.

maculated

Apr 9, 2004, 6:48 AM
Post #2 of 36 (3643 views)
Shortcut

Re: paying to climb at school's wall? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think it's standard fare to pay to climb at a school wall. It costs money to maintain and staff, you know.

spoon

Apr 9, 2004, 6:48 AM
Post #3 of 36 (3643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

At my school it's fifteen dollars for the year for students vs. one hundred something for anyone else. Definitely worth it.

mike_the_sumo

Apr 9, 2004, 11:00 AM
Post #4 of 36 (3643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
At my school, student's are charged (a reduced) fee to climb at the climbing wall. How many people out there are also paying to climb at their university's climbing wall? How many climb free of charge?[
Not specific to your school but to life in general, Nobody climbs for free. When they stop collecting a fee at the door, 9 times out of 10 it ends up doubled or tripled and tacked onto your tuition bill somewhere. You won't see it immediatly, but it'll be there, with interest, in your student loan bill.

ambient

Apr 9, 2004, 11:12 AM
Post #5 of 36 (3643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

At my school wall it's free, and it's free for everyone I take along to.. And at the other wall in my town it's bout $30, so I climb pretty cheap, and also i have about 3-60 miles to some good and some better rock... =)

katanaman

Apr 9, 2004, 11:35 AM
Post #6 of 36 (3643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

all paid for man, its part of the student feescrap, it includes a membership to the place where the wall is at, that membership also includes like swimming and gym stuff and skating, its a great thing to have :)

overlord

Apr 9, 2004, 12:04 PM
Post #7 of 36 (3643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

its pretty standard. unless the wall is crappy and never upgraded (no new holds or features).

klinko

Apr 9, 2004, 1:26 PM
Post #8 of 36 (3643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For non-students it is 10 bucks a time. For students it is either 3 bucks a time for 20 per semester. IMHO its time to upgrade their ropes and belay equipment, but they say the money isnt there. (I bring my own belay eq)

cragmaster

Apr 9, 2004, 2:09 PM
Post #9 of 36 (3643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

At Fort Lewis College in Durango, we pay $20 dallors a year to become a member of outdoor pursuits. Not only do you get to climb at the wall, but you can rent camping equiptment, crash pads, shoes, crampons, mountian axes, skis, snowboards, etc. all this for 20 bucks a year. Its good equiptment too.

Partner bouldertom

Apr 9, 2004, 2:10 PM
Post #10 of 36 (3643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Damn, I wish that I could complain about this. I'm at Penn State...PENN STATE... and we can't get approval for a climbing wall to be constructed. From other peoples' experiences though, I know that some colleges charge a small fee for a yearly pass.

Now I must go forth and battle the administration for a climbing wall that will cure my winter ennui.

nicklikesfire

Apr 9, 2004, 3:23 PM
Post #11 of 36 (3643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just became a supervisor at the wall here at clarkson to avoid paying. plus then you can open the wall and climb whenever you want. Its great, and really not that much work at all. All I do is set up ropes and take them down.

talons05

Apr 9, 2004, 3:28 PM
Post #12 of 36 (3643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm sorry, but it's B.S. to have to pay, folks. If you're a student, there is this thing called "TUITION" and that's money that we pay to our respective Universities for them to cover their costs. As far as my school goes, they have been constantly raising tuition for the past several years. And they had better start showing me that I'm benefitting from this higher cost. Our wall at the University of Arkansas here in Fayetteville is free to all UofA students... Sort of... We have a mandatory fee for the athletic center, so I guess we're forced to pay for it anyway...

A.W.

adventureman

Apr 9, 2004, 4:27 PM
Post #13 of 36 (3643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've mentioned this before in other posts, but since I'm here...

At Oregon State, students do not pay when they want to go climb. I'm sure that somewhere the student fees went up (again) to help pay for the new rec center (including the new climbing gym), so they're still "paying," just not at the door.

For all others (non-students) there is a fee, but it's a helluva lot cheaper than any of the gyms within 1-2 hours of here.

robmcc

Apr 9, 2004, 4:32 PM
Post #14 of 36 (3643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm sorry, but it's B.S. to have to pay, folks. If you're a student, there is this thing called "TUITION" and that's money that we pay to our respective Universities for them to cover their costs.

For your education, yes. Personally, I don't want everything to be rolled into student fees. I wouldn't want to pay for upkeep on a golf course I never used, so why should non-climbing students pay for upkeep on a climbing wall they never use?

Rob

adventureman

Apr 9, 2004, 4:34 PM
Post #15 of 36 (3643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Personally, I don't want everything to be rolled into student fees. I wouldn't want to pay for upkeep on a golf course I never used, so why should non-climbing students pay for upkeep on a climbing wall they never use?

Rob

Very good point.

collegekid

Apr 9, 2004, 6:28 PM
Post #16 of 36 (3643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

with that logic though, students that don't go to the gym, swim, run on the track, use the soccer fields, join clubs, etc shouldn't have to pay their student fees to support these activity centers either.

just about every student activity at school is in some way supported by student fees...which I (actually, my mom and my scholarships) pay for, yet I don't do ANY of those activities (well, i use the gym sometimes). How come other student's particular interests should be paid for by the general student body, yet not others? Even if the entire cost of the wall isn't covered by student fees, a large proportion of it should be.

BTW, my school's wall tops out at 20 feet tall, most of the holds are worn out, we have NO CRASHPADS (just that crappy rock filler), many of the t-nuts need replacement, and the wall hasn't been resurfaced in who knows how long. I am (at least, should be :)) paying 45 bucks per quarter for this ($135 per year) and the wall closes during holidays, saturdays, and is only open 4 to 10 pm on weeknights. Obviously it is less than half the cost of any other gym in my area, however it also has much less to offer (not only because of the small size). From what i've heard on this thread so far, I'm getting ripped off.

mistymountainhop

Apr 9, 2004, 7:03 PM
Post #17 of 36 (3643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My schools climbing wall is my sole source of income, but then again isnt beer money all i college student really needs? The wall i work at is free, but it is sh-tty. It used to be hot stuff back in the late 70s when it was built, now its just a bunch of greasy holds on a 28 ft. wall. if we charged no one would come.

smilingone

Apr 9, 2004, 7:30 PM
Post #18 of 36 (3643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The school I go to just put up a brand new wall in Jan. and it is free to all full time students and five bucks for a day pass, but then you can use the whole gym.

dynoguy

Apr 9, 2004, 8:23 PM
Post #19 of 36 (3643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sucks to be you. OSU has a brand new(about three months old) EP climbing gym. Students get in for free. Needless to say I got into pretty good shape this past winter. Now its time to hit some real stone.

jimdavis

Apr 10, 2004, 10:53 PM
Post #20 of 36 (3643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

UMaine at Orono is free to students. Community members pay $10 a visit or $30 for a mothly pass i think. I think a semester is about $100. Everyone who works the wall is either work-study (paid by the gov.) or is an instructor in our outdoor program as well. Shoes, harnesses and ATC's are free to students as well. Otherwise shoes are $3.

rockafella

Apr 11, 2004, 12:58 AM
Post #21 of 36 (3643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i go to the UW, and not only do you have to pay an annual fee to get into the gym, but you have to pay a quarterly fee to get into the section of the gym that has the climbing wall... but the several hundred dollars i pay to workout still beats the crap out of the thousands of dollars i pay to skip class.

canadiangrl

Apr 12, 2004, 4:45 AM
Post #22 of 36 (3643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

At my local high school climbing wall(at which I attend) we have to pay a 30$ fee as soon as we get out belay ticket. This means we have been tested and are usually pretty serious about climbing. I don't mind paying the fee because I get to use the wall all the time, and we get to use the schools harnesses and shoes, plus all the wear on the ropes and rocks all cost the school money. The wall dosen't get very good funding so to keep it there I don't mind paying :D

flying_dutchman

Apr 12, 2004, 5:37 AM
Post #23 of 36 (3643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the wall at my school, BCIT in Vancouver, costs like five buks but i know the guy who works there weekends and he lets me climb for free then cause its never busy. Half the time its just me and i boulder all the way up ~ its only 20' high. Bouldered outdoor stuff that high.

Its really a patheticly small wall so i refuse to pay to climb it. Now all this sunshine is pissing me off cause i don't have enough time to go outside and climb. Fukking school... fuking small climbing wall...

g.lee
Deleted

Apr 12, 2004, 9:13 AM
Post #24 of 36 (3643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

at my uni its $60 for a membership for the year. Quite expensive really since its a uni wall and only a small bouldering one at that. So if you guys are payin anything cheaper than this i think its probably quite good considering the state our wall is in at the moment as well, which is not very good.

hippie_dreams

Apr 12, 2004, 11:52 AM
Post #25 of 36 (3643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's free to boulder at my school (they make you stay below a 10ft line on the wall - sucks) to be able to top-rope you have to get "certified" and pay 30 bucks for the year...
Not worth it because it's a tiny wall - like 23 feet high max.
Anyhow, I dont pay the 30 because I set some routes there for free...

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook