RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

eatkakifry

Apr 11, 2004, 6:25 AM
Post #1 of 2 (913 views)
Shortcut

Harness Sizing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi,
I bought a black diamond harness about 6 months back through REI. THey have a great return policy, thankfully. The harness size i bought was a Medium and when I tried it on it seemed to fit fine, however when my partner was rappelling me down I noticed that the distance between the harness and my abs was rather large. Now I wonder if I should have gotten a small which when I tried on the two ends barely latched over each other. Any suggestions? Thanks

thewyseclimber

Apr 11, 2004, 7:02 AM
Post #2 of 2 (913 views)
Shortcut

Re: Harness Sizing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Not that I'm an expert or anything...but since nobody else has offered an opinion on this, I'll take a crack at it.

As far as I know, (which often proves to be not very far...) when you're hanging in your harness, there's going to naturally be a gap in the front because the sides are squeezing your body in. I was taught that the waist belt should fit right above the hips, so it would be squeezing you right in your soft abdomen, below your lowest ribs. Therefore the harness would pinch together, causing a gap in the front by the tie in/belay loop. I was taught to fit a harness so you can stick 2 fingers in sideways between your body and the waist belt. Take what you can from my limited knowledge...whoever else knows better, please advise, I'd be interested as well.

On a side note, Aaron Leichty pretty well dispatched the nearest competitors today in the Kansas Cliff Club comp. Nice job aaron. It was a good day of hard climbing. Nice job to everybody, all around.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook