RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

yaki

Apr 16, 2004, 3:14 PM
Post #1 of 16 (2551 views)
Shortcut

leading...weight??
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I weigh abotu 110lbs
I was wondering.. up to what weight can catch for?
I understand it 1 and a half times your weight...
but is that still *safe*?
like coul I belay for someone who is 160lbs or so without either of us being in danger??

lqdslvr

Apr 16, 2004, 4:10 PM
Post #2 of 16 (2551 views)
Shortcut

Re: leading...weight?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just set a good directional anchor and you'll be fine. Let the anchor catch the brunt of the impact. Limits your ability to do a running belay or to modify your position to spot or keep the rope out of the way until the leader gets the first piece in, but everything's a compromise.

abalch

Apr 16, 2004, 4:11 PM
Post #3 of 16 (2551 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You will have everyone chiming in with their opinions on the maximum weight you should belay, so I will jump in here first :lol:

I regularly belay a climbing partner that outweighs significantly. I weigh about 180, he is close to 280. I just make sure that I am anchored well enough to handle an upward pull if he falls. That is the big secret to belaying someone heavier than you--Anchor in. But, it isn't always necessary. I once caught this same climbing partner when he took a fall when he was about six feet above his last bolt, with only about thirty feet of rope out when I had not been able to anchor myself. I saw that he was about to fall, and I squatted, and allowed him to pull me off of the ground, but I was prepared to be pulled off the ground, and only ended up on my tippy toes when he had stopped.

catbird_seat

Apr 16, 2004, 4:22 PM
Post #4 of 16 (2551 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Someone weighing 280 lbs doesn't have any business lead climbing. The equipment was not designed with that sort of weight in mind. I think you should buy a set of double ropes and use them like twins. Also, don't use any pro rated at less than 14 kN.

chadnsc

Apr 16, 2004, 4:26 PM
Post #5 of 16 (2551 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

catbird

If 280 lbs is too heavy to lead a climb then what weight is acceptable?

Partner j_ung

Apr 16, 2004, 4:41 PM
Post #6 of 16 (2551 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Someone weighing 280 lbs doesn't have any business lead climbing. The equipment was not designed with that sort of weight in mind. I think you should buy a set of double ropes and use them like twins. Also, don't use any pro rated at less than 14 kN.

And carry a full rack of screamers! :P

gds

Apr 16, 2004, 4:44 PM
Post #7 of 16 (2551 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Won't doubles (halfs) used as twins increase the forces on the gear?

catbird_seat

Apr 16, 2004, 4:49 PM
Post #8 of 16 (2551 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was being little facetious, but doubles used AS doubles (i.e. alternate clipping) rather than AS twins would decrease the impact force, relative to a single. I'd say that once you get over about 210 you are getting into the heavyweight league. You should take extra precautions, yes, like screamers, etc.

maculated

Apr 16, 2004, 6:42 PM
Post #9 of 16 (2551 views)
Shortcut

maculated moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

maculated moved this thread from General to Beginners.

jono

Apr 16, 2004, 8:53 PM
Post #10 of 16 (2551 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

what kind of routes does this guy climb?
im not just bieng a d-ck i really want to know.

rickvena

Apr 16, 2004, 9:04 PM
Post #11 of 16 (2551 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are special considerations for bigger climbers, but there are some pretty lousy ideas being passed along here. As a 260lb climber, 6'6", I have really put a lot of thought, effort, study(both independent and thru lessons) and practice into this subject. If you know anything about fall factors, placing gear and building anchors there is no reason in the world it should be a problem for someone in that size range to climb. Sure I wont be aiding of a lil alien, ....DARN!!! I'll just have to stick with those rare climbs rated 5.5 to 10c. It's not easy being big....HA

gds

Apr 16, 2004, 9:26 PM
Post #12 of 16 (2551 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think rickvena hits it on the head.

It's hard for me to imagine that a 260 lb climber will overload the majority of properly set pieces. I wouldn't want to think that at 180 I was that close!

And by extension of the logic lighter is always better so 110 lb climbers would be safer than 145 lb climbers.

Sure there are probably cases where weight would be just the extra force to blow a piece---but I would venture a guess that a good, careful, large climber will be safer than lots of little guys who are out there and doing really unsafe things.

Partner chugach001

Apr 16, 2004, 10:21 PM
Post #13 of 16 (2551 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's not that scary, just do your math; Fall Factors are are set on a skinny little Euro climber of 165#, so a 250# climber just multiplies fall factors by 1.5.

Protecting your belays is key until you get enough rope out to decrease your fall factors. And yes, at 225#, I came off an ice route once with one piece in and caught my 130# belayer in the head with crampons as he was launching upward off the ground belay.

An advantage is on rappels, I would back up a marginal anchor and go first. My partner who weighs 145# would watch the results then remove the back-up and slide on down.

Jeff

climbsomething

Apr 16, 2004, 10:30 PM
Post #14 of 16 (2551 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I weigh abotu 110lbs
I was wondering.. up to what weight can catch for?
I understand it 1 and a half times your weight...
but is that still *safe*?
like coul I belay for someone who is 160lbs or so without either of us being in danger??
*Safe* comes from more than just a physical factor like weight difference. Do you know HOW to belay? Can you give a dynamic belay? Do you know how to operate your belay device? No, really, a lot of people, though they won't admit it or or just cos they truly are ignorant, DON'T know how to give a soft catch, how to brace themselves, how to operate a GriGri etc. That is where a lot of safety, or lack thereof, resides- in your training, not your weight.

I weigh a little less than you, and I can belay guys who outweight me by up to 80 pounds because I know what I am doing. Sometimes, I request an anchor, sometimes I don't. And sometimes, if I am looking at a climb where my 180-pound friend may take a lot of lead whips, I DO try to get out of belay duty. It all depends on the situation.

Try running a search using the phrases "belay anchor" or "weight difference" or "dynamic belay." Trust me, it's a gold mine out there...

sheldonjr

Apr 16, 2004, 11:31 PM
Post #15 of 16 (2551 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a skinny 130 lb weakling. And I still worry about impact forces on my gear. The thing that really multiplies the forces on your pro is the fall factor, not the weight of the climber.

As for the original thread topic: When in doubt, anchor in.

skiorclimb

Apr 22, 2004, 11:16 AM
Post #16 of 16 (2551 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This isn't in responce to being a light wieght belayer, with an addaquit anchor and good technique you should be able to belay people alot bigger than you. Belaying a hefty climber isn't fun, if you can get out of it with any excuse, by all means do so.

As to impact forces with heavier climbers, or average climbers carying alot of gear. I recomend that you read the lititure that comes with screamers. Wieght plays a significant role in impact force. Alot of gear that is used for free climbing can fail under fairly routine conditions. I don't know why they picked 80kg(160lbs) for testing gear, I rearly run into male climbers that are less than 80Kg. Than tack on a 15lb rack.

I was surprised when I started looking into FF, wieght, impact force, pulley effect et all. I used to trust implicitly any gear rated to 5KNs, now I use screamers on these pieces. I only wiegh 175lbs, average rack wieght about 12lbs.

Someone fix spell check, please!!!

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook