RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Mental Training: The Rock Warrior's Way

Premier Sponsor:

dredsovrn

Apr 17, 2004, 2:20 AM
Post #1 of 4 (3083 views)
Shortcut

Relative Skill vs Confidence
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I normally climb with a partner with far more leading and climbing experience than I have. This person is also very confident in their abilities, and never seems phased even on difficult run out leads. Sometimes, I even get nervous following on these routes. When I lead, I sometimes feel tentative about my decisions with my normal partner at the belay.

My normal partner has been doing a lot of guiding lately, and I have been climbing my brother-in-law. He is a focused individual and a trustworthy belayer, but probably about as far from me in skill and experience as I am from my normal climbing partner, perhaps more so. I find that I climb with greater confidence with my brother-in-law, even on the same routes I would normally climb with my regular partner.

It made me wonder about the mental processes taking place. I am the same person with the same ability with both people. I must feel a certain way in a "student roll" with a more skilled climber than I do in the "insturctor roll" with one less skilled. Does the instructor roll cause me to look within for the answer and the student looks out? If so, is there a practical way to apply this learning more broadly?

dirtineye

Apr 19, 2004, 5:15 AM
Post #2 of 4 (3083 views)
Shortcut

Re: Relative Skill vs Confidence [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It would do you some good to forget about roles and try to just be a climber climbing with another climber.

I met this 14 year old girl yesterday, daugyter of a friend. she was inspiring to watch. SHe just climbed. not like a girl, just like a climber. NOt worried about mentoring or instuction or conforming to some role or anything but the climbing.

We shoudl all be so lucky.

dredsovrn

Apr 22, 2004, 1:27 PM
Post #3 of 4 (3083 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well said. I don't think I had actively thought about being in one roll or the other, but when I noticed differences in confidence it started to stand out. I guess that is part of the continuing process of becoming conscious. Are we the only people who post here anymore?

dirtineye

Apr 23, 2004, 4:53 PM
Post #4 of 4 (3083 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I hope not.

Forums : Clubs : Mental Training: The Rock Warrior's Way

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook