Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

jipstyle

Apr 28, 2004, 3:45 PM
Post #26 of 34 (2197 views)
Shortcut

Re: V0....bullhonkey!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
V0 should not have small crimps on it.

Why not? Many of the V0s in Squamish have small crimps ... though I suppose 'small' is relative ... but what the original poster describes seems about right for a short V0 to me.

madyak

Apr 28, 2004, 4:34 PM
Post #27 of 34 (2197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gyms are almost always over rated in my opinion. I came off of a four year break from climbing to onsight a 5.12 in a local gym during my first week back. Hmm, why was it then that I had to fight like mad to get up a 5.10a outdoors just a little later?

Bouldering is the same thing. V0 is basically 5.10+. The average climber in America climbs 5.8 to 5.9 That means that in order to accomodate all climbers in the fun of bouldering, gyms severely over grade their boulder problems. I've pulled v10 in a gym before. Do I have any expectations of pulling v10 on my next trip to Hueco? Certainly not.

It has also been pointed out that plastic is so much unlike real rock - especially in terms of color and grip. Not only are holds not coming in florecent colors, they're often smaller too. This is easily made up for in the fact that they often offer superior grip to plastic, especially on those dinky little foot nubins that you'd never try standing on in a gym. So, scour the rock for missed features and try again.

gravitytheory

Apr 28, 2004, 5:05 PM
Post #28 of 34 (2197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bullhonky is a funny word...

leaverbiner

Apr 28, 2004, 5:48 PM
Post #29 of 34 (2197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

First - correct me if I am wrong, but Sourland is Diabase . . . NO GYM CLIMBING will prepare you for Diabase . . . take any climber that has never climbed Diabase or FRICTION dependant rock (southern sandstone is another example) and throw them on something at Haycock and they will get SPANKED!!! So . .. yes, a lot of the rating on diabse 0 haycock, Governor's Stable, Gretna, Sourland, etc. . will seem VERY stiff!!

Oh and Yes, you can definitely have small crimps on V0!!!

curt

Apr 28, 2004, 5:49 PM
Post #30 of 34 (2197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Personally, I think bouldering ratings are s---. This is not another one of those painfully redundant just climb because it makes you happy and don't think about ratings posts either. I like knowing that I am getting better and if there were a system that accurately rated the problems I send then I could see if I am actually improving. However, the longer I climb the more I see just how losely bouldering ratings relate to actual boulders. The scale is just plain arbitrary and more important, irrelevant.

My point is that I don't think there is any reason to rate boulder problems seriously. With routes, ratings are very important - especially trad routes - because they can prevent you from getting in way over your head when you are 50' off the deck. That is very very important. However with boulders, 99% of the time you can see the entire problem before you begin. I usually have a fairly accurate idea of what I plan to do with my body at every point along the way before I even touch the rock. If I get in over my head I know immediately and safely drop off of the rock. You can touch the start holds for most problems that are out of your league and know that you shouldn't try the problem. While working a problem you KNOW how hard it is for you. All the number does is convince you that you should stop working the problem before you have given it your all if it is higher than your average or it will frusterate the hell out of you that should be able to do the problem easily if the rating is low. I don't like either scenario.

One could argue that if there were no ratings then how would you tell your climbing buddies how hard something is? Well that is crap too because I know how hard my climbing friends pull. If I hit the road this weekend, find a problem I like, and send it after say a dozen tries then when I get back to the gym and my buddy asks if he should also go check it out I will have a decent idea if he is going to be able to send it and I can give solid advice without even thinking about ratings.

Let's face it - bouldering ratings aren't good for much besides spray and they aren't even good for that. Ratings differ too much from place to place, gym to gym, and crag to crag. I can tell you that I send V5 and that might tell you that I climb hard and it might tell you that I am weak. Regardless - it will tell you that I like to quantify my greatness and that makes me an ass in my opinion.

Stuart

Nice post. I think you are exactly right.

Curt

rockape

Apr 29, 2004, 3:33 AM
Post #31 of 34 (2197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

point is, u just can't climb v0 crimps. too bad for u!

musicman

Apr 29, 2004, 4:04 AM
Post #32 of 34 (2197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i've noticed that weather or not its sport/trad/aid/gym or whatever, the ratings are generally pretty inconsistent. just do it for fun, who cares if you can climb a 5.10c and your buddy can only climb a 5.10b, its doens't matter, just have fun

innominato

Apr 29, 2004, 4:12 AM
Post #33 of 34 (2197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe it's a sandbag area and the grades are stout. The V scale seems pretty damn subjective anyway.

What's funniest is hearing people rag on how the V grades are soft at Hueco. Crap, they're the standard--that's where the scale was invented. I've noticed a big trend toward sandbagging by at least two V grades in many areas in the last 5 years.

Take it all with a grain of salt.

musicman

Apr 29, 2004, 4:15 AM
Post #34 of 34 (2197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i know this may sound stupid, but i'm new to all this term/slang around here. I am just starting to climb, but anyways, what exactly is "sandbagging" i have a basic idea, but i figured i should get a real answer

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook