Horseshoe Canyon Ranch Camping??
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

roc-dude
Deleted

Apr 29, 2004, 11:23 PM
Post #1 of 4 (2766 views)
Shortcut

Horseshoe Canyon Ranch Camping??  (North_America: United_States: Arkansas: Buffalo_National_River: Horseshoe_Canyon_Ranch)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I read on HCR's website that the campgrounds are closed after April 15. I have also heard that there are campgrounds nearby. Where can I camp? How far is camping from HRC? Is a National Forest Campground? Can I get reservation to the campground? Any beta is useful..

Partner xclimber

Apr 29, 2004, 11:40 PM
Post #2 of 4 (2766 views)
Shortcut

Re: Horseshoe Canyon Ranch Camping?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kyle's Landing on the Buffalo National River is about three miles (of semi-rough dirt) from HCR. You might try getting an Ozark National Forest map. You can camp at large in most places... Call the ranger's offices in Harrison, AR for confirmation and details.

bsignorelli

Apr 30, 2004, 12:14 AM
Post #3 of 4 (2766 views)
Shortcut

Re: Horseshoe Canyon Ranch Camping?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This is easy...

Do you know where HCR is located? It's about 7 miles west of Jasper on Hwy 74 (Newton County). Large brown sign marking the turn for the ranch.

Anyways...

About 2 miles east of the HCR sign is the turnoff for Kyles Landing (large sign marking this). It's about 3? miles downhill to get to the campground. This is a popular canoeing campground so it might be crowded.

Another option is about 5 miles west of the HCR sign and is called Steele Creek. The road down to the campground is much nicer AND it's got much prettier views of the bluffs along the Buffalo River.

Steele Creek is also a canoe campground but it's closer to where a lot of people put into the river and doesn't get as crowded as Kyles can get.

Other options in the area are Lost Valley which is west of HCR (past Steele Creek) and is noted on the state highway map.

Another option is the campground north of Jasper just off of Hwy 7 (there is a sign for it). This is another canoe campground on the Buffalo River.

The above campgrounds are pay per site Forest Service campgrounds.

I posted some info in another thread... http://www.rockclimbing.com/...05&highlight=#614205 check it out...I list some campgrounds as well as some Forest Service links to camping in the area.

If all else fails...

Sam's Throne is east of Jasper on Hwy 123 and has free camping (plus great climbing).

Bryan

bigfatrock

Apr 29, 2008, 3:05 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1461 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bsignorelli] Horseshoe Canyon Ranch Camping?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry to bring this post back from the dead, but I'm heading up a trip their for Memorial Day weekend.

Of the two campgrounds you mentioned how far is the road down into the campgrounds, and what is the capacity? Do they have toilets? We are likely going to have some girls going that will want this. Showers would be nice too since Arkansas is tic infested.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook