Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

bighigaz

Jun 3, 2004, 4:24 AM
Post #1 of 44 (8533 views)
Shortcut

Accident @ gym in Spokane, WA
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

A friend of mine was in Spokane, WA last week, she wanted to get this out, and I know RC.com is a good way to spread the word. If anybody has any further info on the accident, please let us know...

ORIGINAL POST EDITED:
The original message in this post was removed by request of the informant. I misunderstood their request, and shared information without their consent.

The accident involved two women, one fell 40 or 50 feet on to the gym floor and sustained serious injuries. The exact cause of the accident is unknown for now, and the condition of the climber is also unknown.

I will update this message when more public information comes available.

My apologize for infringing on the privacy of the witnesses to the accident.

UPDATE from original informant:
"Just to let you know, the woman broke her pelvis in 3 different spots, they operated, and after a week, she was released from the hospital. Feel free to let the members of RC.com know that she was released from the hospital and doing well."

Be safe out their.

-James

esoteric1

Jun 3, 2004, 4:36 AM
Post #2 of 44 (8533 views)
Shortcut

Re: Accident @ gym in Spokane... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

that gym wouldnt help me out with work when i needed it and was stuck in spokane. I had been setting routes for a few years prior and they couldnt help out a fellow climber...sheesh

sinshan

Jun 3, 2004, 4:45 AM
Post #3 of 44 (8533 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude, can you stop thinking about yourself for five seconds? This post is about someone seriously injured for a casual mistake (one made by even great climbers - read Lynn Hill's book if you're wondering) and you reply with some petty gripe about the gym?

c'mon, people.

climbingaggie03

Jun 3, 2004, 4:46 AM
Post #4 of 44 (8533 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok, so I have two questions, and one comment, also I really feel bad for the girl hurt, and everyone involved, and I hope that people will learn from this accident, instead of having their own.

1. while i know 50 ft is a long way to fall, and that padding wouldn't save her, why aren't the floors padded?

2. What do you mean she hadn't tied her knot? she hadn't tied it at all? or hadn't tied it correctly.

3. I agree that a body hitting the ground from a height is a bad sound (especially when it's your own) which is why you always always always have your safety checks, even at the gym.

trailbound71

Jun 3, 2004, 4:49 AM
Post #5 of 44 (8533 views)
Shortcut

Re: Accident @ gym in Spokane, WA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If that woman is dumb enough to climb without checking and double checking her harness and all outher checks she got what she deserved.what a dumass!

bighigaz

Jun 3, 2004, 4:54 AM
Post #6 of 44 (8533 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Unfortunately, that is all the information I was given. The message was sent to me by a friend, and I referred her to RC.com. Hopefully she'll share more of the outcome when the info becomes available. But, yeah, I was suprised about the type of flooring as well... Though it likely wouldn't have made a difference. All we can do is hope she is okay, and learn from her mistakes...

This is just a guess, but I have read of several accidents where haste resulted in a partially tied knot, and the climber didn't realize it until he/she leaned back at the anchors. This could have been avoided by following one of climbings most basic rules. ALWAYS double check your safety, AND your partner's. As long as we climb, we should never think we're too experienced to ingore that. You might as well drive against traffic with no seat belt... you'd have a better chance of survival!

PS, Trailbound, easy on the bashing... no need to kick someone while they're down. I'm sure she realizes the mistake, as does her belayer. Nobody "deserves" to fall off a wall.

curt

Jun 3, 2004, 4:56 AM
Post #7 of 44 (8533 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Ok, so I have two questions, and one comment, also I really feel bad for the girl hurt, and everyone involved, and I hope that people will learn from this accident, instead of having their own.

1. while i know 50 ft is a long way to fall, and that padding wouldn't save her, why aren't the floors padded?

2. What do you mean she hadn't tied her knot? she hadn't tied it at all? or hadn't tied it correctly.

3. I agree that a body hitting the ground from a height is a bad sound (especially when it's your own) which is why you always always always have your safety checks, even at the gym.

I wondered some of the same things. I am assuming the gym in question is "Wild Walls" in Spokane. The following is from their website:

In reply to:
Wild Walls is a unique climbing gym located in downtown Spokane, Washington in the historic armory building. The facility includes a state of the art 40-foot high freestanding monolithic climbing structure and retail pro shop. In addition to the climbing wall, the company offers use of an extensive amount of weight machines, a treadmill, a stair stepper and a Treadwall.

More than two years of research and development resulted in one of the world’s finest climbing gyms. The business opened in the winter of 1995. Timon Behan is the President/Owner with 15 full and part time employees.

Wild Walls is unique in that the structure is a freestanding monolith. An enormous amount of energy was poured into the features and flow of the gym. Christian Griffith, a world-class climber and climbing gym designer, built an incredible model integrating all the ideas accumulated over two years. SolidRock from San Diego took Christian’s and Timon’s ideas and engineered them into a model with Model Vision. The AutoCad simulation of the structure survived a simulated earthquake of 7.0 on the Richter scale.

The main structure incorporates over 33,000 pounds of steel and two miles of weld wire. Hundreds of sheets of 3/4 inch plywood cover the steel frame. Wire mesh and hand troweled epoxy concrete cover the entire structure. Over 16,000 holes were drilled into the structure for placement of holds. The floor around the climbing structure is filled with 3 feet of gravel and has 23 drains so the gravel may be rinsed to minimize dust.

So, the fall was not 50 feet and there was some "padding" in the form of gravel. apparantly the original poster called the gravel "river rock."

Curt

nmoroder

Jun 3, 2004, 5:12 AM
Post #8 of 44 (8533 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If that woman is dumb enough to climb without checking and double checking her harness and all outher checks she got what she deserved.what a dumass!

Listen buddy, a comment like that about someone making a deadly mistake is downright disgusting. Please for the sake of everyone who reads this site, shut the hell up. Everyone makes mistakes from time to time, no matter how much we try to avoid them. This lady made one that may have cost her life. Who knows, she may have a husband and kids. I am sure that those who care for her don't think that she "deserved it."

I might sound like a jerk for this, but to tell you the truth; I don't give a damn. From now on consider me an enemy.

Partner beanricecheese

Jun 3, 2004, 5:14 AM
Post #9 of 44 (8533 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm with ya all the way man.

-Jaime

curt

Jun 3, 2004, 5:22 AM
Post #10 of 44 (8533 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I don't know if you meant this to be funny or not, but nobody (even if they do something dumb) deserves to be hurt or killed doing something they enjoy. Hopefully you will reconsider your inappropriate comment.

Curt

trailbound71

Jun 3, 2004, 5:25 AM
Post #11 of 44 (8533 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

nmorodor your profile says you started climbing winter/spring 2004 if this is tru you are a neewbee and In my opionion you have no say so go back to the gym and practice top rope some more.When you get some years of experience then you can have a say till then shattt uppp

nmoroder

Jun 3, 2004, 5:32 AM
Post #12 of 44 (8533 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll be the first to say that I am new at this, but I know that people don't deserve to be injured or die doing something they enjoy if they make a single mistake. I know this not from "climbing experience." You are just digging yourself in a hole, quit while you are still ahead.

curt

Jun 3, 2004, 5:33 AM
Post #13 of 44 (8533 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
nmorodor your profile says you started climbing winter/spring 2004 if this is tru you are a neewbee and In my opionion you have no say so go back to the gym and practice top rope some more.When you get some years of experience then you can have a say till then shattt uppp

I notice your profile says even less about you. Curious isn't it?

Curt

trailbound71

Jun 3, 2004, 5:34 AM
Post #14 of 44 (8533 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like to keep it close to the vest

kachoong

Jun 3, 2004, 5:35 AM
Post #15 of 44 (8533 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

trailbound71 wrote:

In reply to:

...how arrogant can a person be!
...remind us next time you forget your brain before you climb, to stand over you and say 'what a dumass!'

....simple mistakes can very easily happen....and thankfully some of the time they can teach us rather than kill us....

the gym is probably the place where checking should be done more frequently, as there are many more distractions.

I hope she recovers in full and is soon out there on rock again.

bighigaz

Jun 3, 2004, 5:36 AM
Post #16 of 44 (8533 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

My friend, your profile doesn't say anything about you. Unless your trying to hide something, I suggest you be carefull before you destroy your rep on this sight. From my own experience, they're going easy on you so far.

Trully, we all make mistakes. IN FACT, it is a documented fact that the MAJORITY of serious or fatal accidents in numerous sports, professions, and everyday activities, are made by EXPERIENCED people. Don't bring in the "newbee" bash. You'll get pounded. Check out this thread if you don't believe me:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...0555&highlight=noobs

punkclimber52

Jun 3, 2004, 5:38 AM
Post #17 of 44 (8533 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm gonna have to agree with Curt, and everyone else, on this one...just shut up trailbound71. you appear to be more of a n00b than anyone else.

curt

Jun 3, 2004, 5:48 AM
Post #18 of 44 (8533 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Well that's a first. I've never before heard anyone use the phrase "close to the vest" in substitution for "up my own asshole."

Curt

telemarkist

Jun 3, 2004, 5:54 AM
Post #19 of 44 (8533 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

trailbound, why don't you fill out your profile and maybe post a pic so we have a face to attach the a$$ your making out of yourself to

areuinclimber

Jun 3, 2004, 6:05 AM
Post #20 of 44 (8533 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

hey man listen, im about as newb as you can get and until you think you have the balls to make me shaattt uppp this is what i have to say:
your probably a good guy that made an idiot comment thinking others will hop on your little demented band wagon and now your stuck defending it.
well i hope this never happens to you (or myself for that matter) becuase even YOU with that atrocious (sp?) comment dont deserve that. dont consider me an enemy but DEFINETLY dont consider me a climbing partner

have a nice, safe, day

paija

Jun 3, 2004, 6:28 AM
Post #21 of 44 (8533 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

trailbound really makes me wish I believed in karma. What a jerk.

re: the accident; I got some (very) gentle ribbing today for checking my partners' harnesses and knots. I'm really glad I do it though, and if I ever feel a bit silly about I'll remember this story...yikes.

papounet

Jun 3, 2004, 7:53 AM
Post #22 of 44 (8533 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
So stupidly replied that you are the first to make my killfile,
well done

All my thoughts goes to the injured climber.
From the first report, she escaped the worst.
If you can get in touch with her, let her know that 100% of the community of climbers wish her well (morons don't count) and would be happy to welcome her here. The path of recovery will be long and painful, but she will get better.
There has been a recent thread with some inspiring recoveries.

overlord

Jun 3, 2004, 8:08 AM
Post #23 of 44 (8533 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

what doest his teach us???

even when in the gym (regardless if its TR or lead), sheck your partner. it only takes about 5secs to inspect the knot/belay device and tug the rope a bit to see if it holds/if the belay device lockks properly.

now compare that little effort to the time and energy required to bring somebody to hospital (even from a gym). not to mention other consequences.

hope shell be ok.

ullr

Jun 3, 2004, 8:27 AM
Post #24 of 44 (8533 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Back to the subject......This accident is most unfortunate. Nobody is a "dumbass". Just a brief period of not paying attention. Could, and does, happen to anyone.

Last week at ORG I saw a guy about to start up a 10d with his mother belaying. Before he started, he turned around, I happened to glance at his harness and noticed he started his figure 8, but didn't finish it. I thougt for a second, did I just see that, or was it actually tied correctly. Before he started climbing I decided it couldn't hurt to mention it. Turns out the first half of the figure eight was done and threaded through his harness, and that's it. This guy could have completed to route, leaned back to lower off, and then died infront of his mother who was belaying him. He casually completed the knot and his mother thanked me for "saving my boys life".

The best we can hope for in these unfortunate situations is to learn something. Not be a brazen a_ _ hole.

Partner one900johnnyk

Jun 3, 2004, 11:02 AM
Post #25 of 44 (8533 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Well that's a first. I've never before heard anyone use the phrase "close to the vest" in substitution for "up my own asshole."

Curt

while this person is probably a moron, ripping someone for not including shit in their profile is poor form

on another not, is the gravel or rock that odd? i have climbed in a few gyms on the east coast that have actual river rock in them (golfball to smaller sized, very smooth and rounded...)..

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook