RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

tart

Jun 7, 2004, 9:43 AM
Post #1 of 7 (1815 views)
Shortcut

Bouldering Info for Lake Tahoe?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

We will be in the Lake Tahoe area July 3 - July 7. Can anyone recommend some areas where I'll be able to find some bouldering for my 13-year-old son? He onsights V5-V6 and works V7-V8. Is there a guidebook?

the_dude

Jun 8, 2004, 4:32 AM
Post #2 of 7 (1815 views)
Shortcut

Re: Bouldering Info for Lake Tahoe? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There is no guidebook to Tahoe bouldering. Everything is pretty much word of mouth. Also make sure to have a pad with because most the bouldering is tall and the ratings are sandbagged. As far as the areas, there are tons. But it depends on what end of the lake you'll be staying on. If your staying in south lake tahoe, contact Sports LTD (the local shop). Those guys should point you in the right direction. If you'll be On north Lake or Truckee, contact The Sports Exchange(530-582-4510, ask for Jeff or Dave). There is also an unupdated website about tahoe bouldering that has a little info, I don't know the exact website but just do a google surch for"tahoe bouldering" and Im sure you'll come across it. If you've seen Rampage and are looking for those problems, your pretty much out of luck. Most of the stuff in that video is impossible to find without someone taking you out there. The directions are just to complicated to right down. But don't worry, there are tons of other problems of awesome quality that the folks at these two shops can direct you to. Hope you have a great trip and your son has a blast!
Cheers

padge

Jun 8, 2004, 6:31 PM
Post #3 of 7 (1815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Try D.L. Bliss State Park, not a whole lot, but good quality in a beautifull setting. The Pie Shop, and Echo View Estates on Sawmill Road are pretty good, a little grainy but many problems, some highball. Old County Road is good but you probably need someone to show you around. Donner has some bouldering but if your there the rope climbing is better (the real good boulders are hard to find).

tart

Jun 9, 2004, 1:50 AM
Post #4 of 7 (1815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We are staying with friends in Truckee. I was kind of hoping to hear that there is a "gathering place" for boulderers where he could hook up with some other people who know the area.

jerrygarcia

Jun 9, 2004, 2:50 AM
Post #5 of 7 (1815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
We are staying with friends in Truckee. I was kind of hoping to hear that there is a "gathering place" for boulderers where he could hook up with some other people who know the area.

There is no "camp 4" in Tahoe, sorry.

Bliss State Park has some bouldering

rent a boat and cruise up the east shore, you will see boulders easily from the water

Donner state park

Buy this book and check out the bouldering section. There are bouldering spots all over Tahoe but not a lot in one main area. Try behind Pie shop or at sugarloaf for some boulder action.

the_dude

Jun 9, 2004, 3:35 AM
Post #6 of 7 (1815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Donner state park, not donner summit has bouldering

What? Donner Summit doesn't have bouldering? What about the Grouse slabs, above snowshed, White Lines, Pimp Slap, The Real Deal....
And if your refering to Donner Summit(the actual peak), That has some of the longest moderate traverses in the tahoe area.

Anyway, Tart, If you're staying in Truckee call the Sports exchange or stop by the place. They are right downtown, easy to find. They'll help you out. If your just taking your son bouldering, don't waste money on the guidebook. It's like 25 bucks and has 2 pages on bouldering. Your best bet is to get directions to the Grouse slab boulders, There are about 35 problems from VO through V10. Stop by that shop and have them draw you a map.

Cheers

jerrygarcia

Jun 9, 2004, 3:46 AM
Post #7 of 7 (1815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Donner state park, not donner summit has bouldering

What? Donner Summit doesn't have bouldering?

I dont boulder, strictly Trad.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook