RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

climbingfreak45

Jun 22, 2004, 4:05 PM
Post #1 of 25 (5428 views)
Shortcut

Sick knot in the line... HELP
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Call me bright but instead of using some fancy method of puting up the line i tied my line to a tree and to a anchor in the back of a truck bed> after i pulled it tight and slacklined for a while, i got off and backed the truck up to untighten the line. Then i realized the unmovable knots which attatched the truck to the tree. I got the anchor free of the truck but the line... well it likes the tree alot and wont come off. Anyone got any idea besides cutting the tree/ line to get the knot off?? o yea its a Water knot HELPPPP

petsfed

Jun 22, 2004, 4:09 PM
Post #2 of 25 (5428 views)
Shortcut

Re: Sick knot in the line... HELP [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Rub the knot between the palm of your hands (like making a snake out of clay) until the knot is loose enough to start picking at. You could be there for a while.

plund

Jun 22, 2004, 4:19 PM
Post #3 of 25 (5428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You could also try the ol' rubber mallet treatment - when I TR using my 50' "webolette" the figure 8 / overhand sometimes requires a bit of pounding (on the rock or with a hex) to loosen it, but then again it hasn't been "truck-tightened"!! Also, a liberal application of profanity may help (your stress level, if not the knots!) Good luck.

Partner pedro_burrito

Jun 22, 2004, 4:44 PM
Post #4 of 25 (5428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Call me bright but instead of using some fancy method of puting up the line i tied my line to a tree and to a anchor in the back of a truck bed> after i pulled it tight and slacklined for a while, i got off and backed the truck up to untighten the line. Then i realized the unmovable knots which attatched the truck to the tree. I got the anchor free of the truck but the line... well it likes the tree alot and wont come off. Anyone got any idea besides cutting the tree/ line to get the knot off?? o yea its a Water knot HELPPPP

I applaud the elegance of your setup! You followed the Simple part of SRENE. My only suggestion is the next time you set this up, use a friction hitch around the tree instead of a knot. Then you won't have a knot to untie.

Damn, I was going to get a bunch of pulleys and rachets. Now I only need my big red truck and an oak tree to set up my first slack line.

seidon

Jun 22, 2004, 11:17 PM
Post #5 of 25 (5428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Whats SRENE meen???? (BTW im the guy w/the truck we used.)

Partner coldclimb

Jun 22, 2004, 11:24 PM
Post #6 of 25 (5428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You could also try the ol' rubber mallet treatment - when I TR using my 50' "webolette" the figure 8 / overhand sometimes requires a bit of pounding (on the rock or with a hex) to loosen it, but then again it hasn't been "truck-tightened"!! Also, a liberal application of profanity may help (your stress level, if not the knots!) Good luck.

This works! Take a hammer, and pound that knot against something flat. Don't beat the heck out of it, or shred the webbing or anything, but tap it a bit, and it will loosen up with ease.

ben87

Jun 22, 2004, 11:43 PM
Post #7 of 25 (5428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

SRENE is an acronym for making good top-rope anchors.

It means Simple, Redundant, Equalized, No Extension

korporal

Jun 22, 2004, 11:46 PM
Post #8 of 25 (5428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use secure instead of simple. Secure meaning that the gear or trees that the anchor is built off are well, secure.

bitsofsod

Jun 23, 2004, 1:19 AM
Post #9 of 25 (5428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Try getting the knot wet. I know it's counterintuitive, but it worked when I tried to get a cinched bowline out of my slackline (now I use a mule hitch).

seidon

Jun 24, 2004, 3:56 AM
Post #10 of 25 (5428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the help everyone...hopefully tomorrow morning (giving its not raining) im gonna go out and beat the knot w/a 2x4 or something solid and flat behind it other then the tree. If that dont work ill wet it up and do it some more. Hopefully this doesnt weaken the fibers in the line and cause it to be a risk to still use for climbing purposes. Which reminds me, after using the webbing for slacklining, is it in anyway risky to still use it for outdoor climbing purposes. I didnt know if slacklining would cause the fibers to stretch in a dangerous manner or something for some reason, but if it does then i deffinatly dont want to be relyin on it to keep my alive.

Partner coldclimb

Jun 24, 2004, 6:28 AM
Post #11 of 25 (5428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't use it for climbing after using it for slacklining. There's no evidence that I have personally seen that says it'll kill you, but everybody I've seen give an opinion on the matter, including th manufacturers of the webbing, say not to use it for climbing after slacking on it. Consider your slackline equipment solely designated to slacklining, and you'll be good. :)

seidon

Jun 24, 2004, 2:59 PM
Post #12 of 25 (5428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Darn...oh well, good to know though. THANKS!!! Guess i gotta scrounge up another $30 to get "replacement webbing."

plund

Jun 24, 2004, 3:59 PM
Post #13 of 25 (5428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Did you get that bad boy out?? If so, what was effective?

tenn_dawg

Jun 24, 2004, 4:49 PM
Post #14 of 25 (5428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As others have said, just bash it with a hammer. rotate the knot while you're doing it. Getting it wet works too, and is especially beneficial if used in conjunction with hammer bashing.

About reusing the webbing....

I've got a piece of old beater webbing that has been used in countless slackline setups. I've probably bashed 30 knots out of it, it's hard to even see any damage to the webbing. The fact that it still holds fat boy slackliners and has never broken (or even complained) is a testament to how little bashing affects the strength.

If someone has access to a puller and wants to test this, please do. I'm betting the webbing retains over 85% of it's original strength.

seidon

Jun 24, 2004, 7:03 PM
Post #15 of 25 (5428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I might try hookin up my lil Toyota Tacoma to it and loopin the webbing over something in the air and then connecting that to the RAM and seein if it will hold up the Tacoma when pullin forward in the Ram. IDK though...that seems like the kinda thing that will push even a new peice of webbing...hmm...

ninjanick

Oct 23, 2004, 1:15 AM
Post #16 of 25 (5428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i just bought all the equipment to set up a slackline. its raining out so setting it up well have to wait. but at the store they showed and explained to me what knots to use where. and they said to use a water knot on the tree. now uve got me worried ill end up never getting it off. is there another knot that would make more sense, cuz i just dont want to end up having to cut the webbing.

-nick

mbez

Oct 23, 2004, 1:50 AM
Post #17 of 25 (5428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A mule hitch works great for attaching to a tree. For the tightening end I use a clove hitch to biners with a webbing sling girth hitched to the other tree.

climbingfreak45

Oct 23, 2004, 2:14 AM
Post #18 of 25 (5428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yea we got that out a while back, and after that we knoted a biner in the end of the line and put another in the other end and hooked it to the truck and to a eybolt in a tree( the eye bolt was alredy there, dont go callin me a tree killer)

johnson6102002

Oct 26, 2004, 11:38 PM
Post #19 of 25 (5428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the good old hammer has helped me many a time with nasty knots rotate after ever 2 hits or so

jeremy11

Oct 28, 2004, 5:29 PM
Post #20 of 25 (5428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

use a girth hitch to attack the line to the tree and this problem will never occur.

SRENE means SOLID, redundant, equalized, no extensions (straight out of How to Rock Climb by John Long) it is not just used for top rope anchors either.

jb

Nov 3, 2004, 1:56 AM
Post #21 of 25 (5428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pound it with a hammer.

END

david.yount
Deleted

Nov 3, 2004, 3:29 AM
Post #22 of 25 (5428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
SRENE is an acronym for making good top-rope anchors.

It means Simple, Redundant, Equalized, No Extension
SRENE

Solid (i prefer this to 'secure')
Redundant
Equalized
No Extension

(thanks jeremy11)

How to connect webbing to a tree, and easily retrieve the webbing.

1) pad the tree with cardboard, or blanket, or sleeping pad, or something (do a google search on CAMBIUM DAMAGE)

2) utilize any number of knots, but please protect the trees

david yount.

PS no, i didn't give beta on releasable knots; how about the mule hitch (just protect the tree)

yamama

Dec 2, 2004, 3:21 AM
Post #23 of 25 (5428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey... well to prevent all this hammer'n from ever happening again why don't you just clip a biner in the knot before you pull the hell out of it. A friend told me to do that a while ago and since then i have never had any trouble getting any slackline knots out.

Partner coldclimb

Dec 2, 2004, 3:25 AM
Post #24 of 25 (5428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hey... well to prevent all this hammer'n from ever happening again why don't you just clip a biner in the knot before you pull the hell out of it. A friend told me to do that a while ago and since then i have never had any trouble getting any slackline knots out.

This works too, but hammering works fine, and you don't have to have metal in your line. :wink: I've also had biners welded into knots after hard slack sessions that took hours to untie. Hammering beats all methods I have tried so far.

barefooter

Dec 2, 2004, 4:09 AM
Post #25 of 25 (5428 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i just bought all the equipment to set up a slackline. its raining out so setting it up well have to wait. but at the store they showed and explained to me what knots to use where. and they said to use a water knot on the tree. now uve got me worried ill end up never getting it off. is there another knot that would make more sense, cuz i just dont want to end up having to cut the webbing.

-nick

Here's an easy way to set it up
1- Tie an overhand on a bight on one end and girth hitch tree
2- Approx. 4-5 ft. from other tree clove hitch 2 carabiners, gates oppossing
3- From the carabiners, go around the tree and clip one biner then go back around and clip the other biner
4- Now just pull like hell then just rap the tree with whatever excess webbing and the friction will pretty much hold it in place

I got this setup from one of rrradam's post, if you can't understand my description do a search for his because he described it better.

(Edited to say make sure you rap the tree with cardboard, it'll keep the sap off you line)

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook