RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

cologman

Jun 14, 2004, 2:57 AM
Post #1 of 9 (2045 views)
Shortcut

Accident at Monitor Rock?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just returned from a day of climbing at Monitor Rock, Sunday 6/13, and saw a friend who indicated there had been an accident there sometime over the last couple of days. Supposedly a woman fell 100' feet and was transported alive but wasn't expected to survive. Anyone know anything more on this or if its even true?

deleted
Deleted

Jun 14, 2004, 3:46 AM
Post #2 of 9 (2045 views)
Shortcut

Re: Accident at Monitor Rock? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jeff --

i understand she was supposed to be on rappel, but somehow either came unattached from the rope, or was never attached to the rope. she fell approximately fifty feet, sustaining multiple fractures, multiple internal injuries, and severe head trauma. evidently it wasn't pretty.

leadville/lake county fire rescue got the call and had her flown out on the flight for life helicopter. as of my last inquiry she was still comatose in a denver hospital, and, sadly, not expected to recover.

cologman

Jun 14, 2004, 4:00 AM
Post #3 of 9 (2045 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Geo,
Thanks for the info. Sorry to hear its true, was hoping it was a mistake. My thoughts and well wishes go out to her and her loved ones.

deleted
Deleted

Jun 24, 2004, 2:11 PM
Post #4 of 9 (2045 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[b:44277ebc3c]UPDATE[/b:44277ebc3c]

yesterday i spoke with some of the personnel who were on the scene. they indicated the victim fell off one of the routes just to the left of the nose.

she was in her early twenties; had just graduated from berkeley; and was on her way home to florida to visit family before starting her new job.

apparently, though her multiple fractures and internal injuries were serious, her head injury was of the greatest concern; she was not wearing a helmet.

the latest word is that she remains comatose in a denver hospital and her ventilator will be turned off in the next few days.

quite the unfortunate situation, i would say.

sarcat

Jun 24, 2004, 2:15 PM
Post #5 of 9 (2045 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

AGAIN, this stinks! Any word as to how she fell?

cologman

Jun 24, 2004, 2:18 PM
Post #6 of 9 (2045 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry to hear that. Was hoping for the best. My condolences to her family and loved ones.

deleted
Deleted

Jun 24, 2004, 3:50 PM
Post #7 of 9 (2045 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i'm uncertain, as rescue didn't get the call; it went to the fire department since she was known to be on the ground and the base of monitor is 2 minutes from the road at the most.

two of the firefighters -- themselves climbers -- have proposed several scenarios, all plausible:

1. she reached the anchors on the route (sport) and blew the procedure of threading the rope through the anchor shuts in order to lower off.

2. she clipped the anchor and upon leaning back came untied from the rope.

3. she was attempting to rappel, but neglected to rig through her rap device.

i'm at a loss to explain the lack of technical info on this accident except to postulate the on-scene fire personnel were more concerned with stabilizing and transporting rather than the details as to how it happened. i was told that due to the severity of her injuries the accident scene was quite a mess.

knowing the position of the rope and whether or not it had a knot in her end -- in addition to details about what gear remained at the anchor and if she had a rap device in position -- would certainly help answer some questions.

most importantly, i have no info about her partner or anything (s)he might have reported.

joshklingbeil

Jun 24, 2004, 4:49 PM
Post #8 of 9 (2045 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

News like this sucks. Hopefully she survives. Everyone remember to tripple check yourself before exposing yourselfs to the effects of gravity.

piocha

Jun 24, 2004, 5:06 PM
Post #9 of 9 (2045 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was very sorry to hear the news about this tragic accident at the monitor. Such a great palce to climb, wouldn't have ever thought.it would become into nightmare for any climber. I learned how to lead sport there a few yeras ago and, always had great repect for the area, Some great climbs indeed, super classic but unfortunately i did notice after climing there a few more times the anchors where getting a bit weathered and may be deemed unsafe to climb on after a few more winters. Did this accident have anything to do with faulty anchors? or was it just a human mistake? What route was she on? Please rememer everyone don't ever feel like clipping into to the end of a route should feel comfortable, comfortable like routine, cause when you feel ike this like there is nothing that can go wrong and you know u must be doing everything right is when something slips by... alwasy tripple check, and be SURE everything is and looks like it suppose to be before untying your belay, tying back in etc... i sure havent stopped doing so since my monitor days.
deepest condoloences for the climbers family
big shout to the leadville crew and LAKE county S&R

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook