Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Tahquitz
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

rokstahr39

Jul 6, 2004, 6:43 AM
Post #1 of 18 (2646 views)
Shortcut

Tahquitz  (North_America: United_States: Utah: Salt_Lake_-_Utah_Counties: Rock_Canyon: The_Kitchen)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

anyone climb in Tahquitz this weekend? I did on sunday, it was awesome! I liked the rock much better than J-tree!

Becky

guyzo

Jul 6, 2004, 6:53 AM
Post #2 of 18 (2646 views)
Shortcut

Re: Tahquitz [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sound like you are starting to figure it out, in the old days we went to Tahquitz mostly and only went to josh when the weather closed us out. I still have trouble figuring out why JT is soo popular. I mean why go climb mostly crumbly rock and do very short climbs when just a few miles away you have multi-pitch climbs on the best granite found anywhere. Glad you had a good time.

rizzuh

Jul 6, 2004, 7:42 AM
Post #3 of 18 (2646 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

... the approach.

rjavery10

Jul 6, 2004, 9:06 AM
Post #4 of 18 (2646 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Becky,

I was there on Sunday. I did the Error (5.6) with a couple of 5.8 roof variations. It was a really good route.

It was really crowded on the south side of the rock after I did the climb and went over to do the Left Ski Track and found the slowest party in the world on it. I watched this guy for 1 hour go about 60 feet. No Kidding.

Which route did you do?

rjavery10

Jul 6, 2004, 9:08 AM
Post #5 of 18 (2646 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
... the approach.

The approach from the north trail is easy. Just go up the talus field. Why anyone does that Lunch Rock trail is beyond me.

Either way, hike more. Its useful in trad.

rokstahr39

Jul 6, 2004, 9:51 AM
Post #6 of 18 (2646 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah... I didn't like the approach too much, we went up the north side I think... lol... the skree (sp) slope, I think thats what it was called was just loads of fun with a pack. Yes, i'm a pansy, but oh well. But it was a ton of fun... 2 weeks til my first multi-pitch climb! YAY!!! i'm soooooo excited

rjavery10

Jul 6, 2004, 7:13 PM
Post #7 of 18 (2646 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Becky,

I think I may have hiked up with you. Were you with your family at the time?

scotto

Jul 6, 2004, 7:46 PM
Post #8 of 18 (2646 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
... the approach.

The approach from the north trail is easy. Just go up the talus field. Why anyone does that Lunch Rock trail is beyond me.

Either way, hike more. Its useful in trad.

we are going to tahquitz this coming weekend and the last time we went we did the lunch rock hike - could you elaborate more on this easier way up.....

rokstahr39

Jul 6, 2004, 9:44 PM
Post #9 of 18 (2646 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was with my mom and little sister at the time...my dad and little brother were already starting to climb... we did hike up with two guys, one named randy I think... don't know the other guys name...

barrel

Jul 6, 2004, 11:20 PM
Post #10 of 18 (2646 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

we are going to tahquitz this coming weekend and the last time we went we did the lunch rock hike - could you elaborate more on this easier way up.....

An alternate approach starts off the Devil's slide trail. Looking towards San Jacinto, head dead right of the fancy new toilets. Takes some luck to find the trail at the beginning, but even if you don't have any, head towards the huge rock. You'll land in the scree field sooner or later. At this point, head straight up the scree/talus, or look a little to your left and you might see hints of a trail just off the scree.

I don't think it's an issue of ease. Both approaces are evil. Lunch rock gets you near angel's fright, and this one gets you near whodunnit. Depending on what you want to climb, you can take either to get you there asap.

stirfry

Jul 6, 2004, 11:33 PM
Post #11 of 18 (2646 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I still cant believe people think the approach to Taquitz is actually hard. Do climbers still hike or just drive up to the boulders?

thegreytradster

Jul 6, 2004, 11:51 PM
Post #12 of 18 (2646 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The best approach for anything to the right of The White Maiden is the trail to Lunch Rock that branches off from the Ernie Maxwell Trail at the L.A. Riverside Co. line This trail is well beat out and easy to follow. There is no "easier" way to Lunch Rock.

For climbs to the left of The White Maiden go right at the start of the Devils Slide Trail descending into the creek. after a few yards the hikers trail by the stream jogs up over a recently fallen very large tree. Before going up over the tree cross the stream to the right and you will pick up a well stamped out trail that ascends the right side of the stream drainage at a shallow angle. Avoid the steeper short cuts. Stay on this trail even though it appears at first that you are going to far left of the rock. The trail will turn towards the North Gulley eventualy. Try to pick the most obvious trail, (there are several) that contours right to the base of the North Buttress.

The Lunch Rock trail is well established and several alternative trails have finaly grown over and healed. Please try to stay on the most obvious North side trail so it develops as well and multiple erosion problems dont!

Consider the approach practice for approaches to "real" climbs. :wink:

scotto

Jul 7, 2004, 12:15 AM
Post #13 of 18 (2646 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Do climbers still hike or just drive up to the boulders?
if at all possible I try to pull right up next to the climb which is why I like jtree so much. just remember the farther you get from the car the harder it is to see the t.v. and use the microwave and expresso machine.

rjavery10

Jul 7, 2004, 5:54 AM
Post #14 of 18 (2646 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I was with my mom and little sister at the time...my dad and little brother were already starting to climb... we did hike up with two guys, one named randy I think... don't know the other guys name...

Yeah, I was the other guy next to randy. Hope you had a good time up there. I will be back next Sunday.

rjavery10

Jul 7, 2004, 5:56 AM
Post #15 of 18 (2646 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Do climbers still hike or just drive up to the boulders?
if at all possible I try to pull right up next to the climb which is why I like jtree so much. just remember the farther you get from the car the harder it is to see the t.v. and use the microwave and expresso machine.

I try to anchor to the car whenever possible and belay out of the trunk.

Seriously, I think hiking is lost on all these boulder monkeys. For me, the hike is half the fun.

guyzo

Jul 7, 2004, 6:04 AM
Post #16 of 18 (2646 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That hike is pretty lightweight, If you think that it is hard you will miss out on most of the really great climbing out there. :o

rokstahr39

Jul 7, 2004, 7:03 AM
Post #17 of 18 (2646 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Yeah, I was the other guy next to randy. Hope you had a good time up there. I will be back next Sunday.

I had a wonderful time. Ended up wit ha bruise on my forehead, but I don't know how it got there. Oh well. How was your day? Good I hope! I'll be back in a couple weeks probly.

Becky

tcantor333

Jul 8, 2004, 11:42 PM
Post #18 of 18 (2646 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, said!!!!!

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook