Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Grand Tetons
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

saderinger

Jul 7, 2004, 3:01 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1975 views)
Shortcut

Grand Tetons  (North_America: United_States: Wyoming: Western_Wy_: Grand_Teton_NP)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The second week in August a friend and I where planning a backpacking trip to the Tetons however I know nothing about the area and was wanting to get some tips from people with experience. We would like to spend about 5-6 days out on the trail and would love to do some climbing as well. We would love to hike in and do an alpine route or two and would love some input on what good routes and good trails that we could do are. Another question, will we need snow gear or is it all melted by this time of the year. Also I asume that there will be afternoon thunderstorms daily is this correct?

thanks so much,
Anthony

Partner missedyno

Jul 7, 2004, 5:12 PM
Post #2 of 5 (1975 views)
Shortcut

crazylikeafawkes moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

crazylikeafawkes moved this thread from General to Regional Discussions.

pmagistro

Jul 7, 2004, 5:52 PM
Post #3 of 5 (1975 views)
Shortcut

Re: Grand Tetons [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hola amigo!

I spend a few weeks in the climbing in the Tetons last summer....beautiful area. I can't really tell you anything about backpacking...but can recommend a couple of routes depending on what you are comfy leading on crappy Teton granite.

To tell you the truth though, if I had the choice between the Tetons and Wind Rivers...no question I would head to the Winds. More peaks, more remote, better rock, less people.....more skeeters too but you can avoid them by going above treeline.

Edit: We didnīt have any problems with regular afternoon storms in either range; rather a few days of beautiful clear weather followed by a storm then more clear skies. Also reread your original post....access in the Tetons is really easy; you only need a day to get onto almost any route in the range. In the Winds you can hike in for a day or three and get to some really nice wild spots and climbing routes. Gannet might fit what you are looking to do....definitely a snow climb though.

PM me for more info!

saderinger

Jul 7, 2004, 8:13 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1975 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Can you tell me more a bout the three day hikes into the wind river range? Do you know of a good reference book or website that i could get some hiking and climbing info on. I am kinda new to trad i am confident at 5.7 but am realy just looking for a great hike with a great climb some exposure and most importantly a great view from the top. any advice i could get for the tetons or wind river would be amazing!
you guys are great thanks so much
anthony

pmagistro

Jul 8, 2004, 4:31 PM
Post #5 of 5 (1975 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hola hola,

I donīt know my way around the range quite that well....though I will say that three days is pretty much a minimum for any climbing there. (One day in, one day to climb, one day out. Long hiking days.) You could hike into Titcomb Basin and do the scramble up Fremont, or climb Gannet...though three days would really push it for that. The area around Deep Lake and the Cirque of the Towers has a bunch of SUPER classic rock routes on great granite....there is a relatively easy line on Pingora that might go for you, 5.6 or so.

Check out the Kelsey guide...
http://www.amazon.com/...959?v=glance&s=books

And good luck!

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook