RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

lokiraven

Jul 22, 2004, 3:42 AM
Post #1 of 25 (3758 views)
Shortcut

anyone used robotcams from rock empire?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Im trying to get my trad rack started up and I found a deal for 8 of these cams for $229. anybody know if this is a good deal? Thanks

cgailey

Jul 22, 2004, 3:45 AM
Post #2 of 25 (3758 views)
Shortcut

Re: anyone used robotcams from rock empire? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Have heard only bad about these. Save your money for a better set...i.e. power cams, camalots, tech friends...etc. There is a reason why these cost more and are more commonly found on people's racks.

Partner coylec

Jul 22, 2004, 3:45 AM
Post #3 of 25 (3758 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I bought 'em. I use 'em.

I'll be honest, you can't really get more cams for the price (unless you start buying used). But, these aren't the best cams on the market -- that's why they are cheap. The 4 and 5 will give you headaches, they walk like its their job and are generally a pain (though, you can make them work). There are gaps in their sizes as well.

However, you do get 8 cams. You could get 4-5 "name brand cams" for the same price. Make a decision on whether to spend the money now or later.

I wish I'd thrown down more money and gotten better cams (metolius, BD, CCH) to start.

coylec

grinspoon

Jul 22, 2004, 3:53 AM
Post #4 of 25 (3758 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I bought Robots #1-5 for $130 this spring. They work, good beginner cams for the money. I took my first trad fall on the #1. It wasn't the best placement, but it held. Good thing it did, because I fell 15ft and ended 5ft from the ground. After that incident, they've definatley gained my trust. I wish they were a little wider though, #4&5 tend to walk, so I've cut the sewn slings and tied on longer slings.
If money isn't a problem get Camalots and Aliens, but if you need cheap cams now..get robots.

roboclimber

Jul 22, 2004, 4:17 AM
Post #5 of 25 (3758 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just saw these guys last weekend after I had read rave reviews about them on this site (I was going to buy them, but changed my mind). I am just starting to assemble my rack and have bought all Metolius FCU's (which I like alot). These Robotcams are cheaply made, not very durable, and probably will not stand up to years of abuse (there is alot of plastic in these units); however, the smaller sizes are very stable when placed. Do not waste your money on these units; opt for something on sale (even if it means assembling your rack slowly).

hema

Jul 22, 2004, 4:58 AM
Post #6 of 25 (3758 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As allready stated, not the top dog of cams, but the smaller sizes (0,25 to 3) are pretty useful and good.

Although your set-price is a bit steep, as when I bought them, I had to only shell about 20 Eur a pice (ie. full set for 160 Eur~180$). But then a gain I got them from straight from Hudy Zcech Reb. For the bigger sizes (4 and 5) try to get either RE Flex's are or buy another brand (a good choice would be DMM as it is cheaper than WC or BD).

ashmoo

Jul 22, 2004, 5:28 AM
Post #7 of 25 (3758 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I bought the full set of these cams when I first started trad leading, and have been happy with my decision.
Their great advantage is of course that for a set amount of money you can get the maximum number of cams. If you can afford a full set of some other cams, go for it, otherwise I reckon they are a good decision.

Sure, the larger ones aren't as stable (but they aren't dangerously unstable) and the overlap between #2, #3 and #4 has some gaps, but for the price you can have a full set and get some other brand to fill in the gaps.

The other advantage is that getting the lower quality models teaches you what to look for in a 'good' cam.

climber_osu

Jul 22, 2004, 6:26 AM
Post #8 of 25 (3758 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the full set and am pleased with my purchase. I have had no issues with safety or durability and feel confident in their abilities. Cheap doesent make them unsafe, it makes them less colorful. That being said, I am looking to get a set of camalots to suplement/replace the robots. I have gotten my $210 worth of use out of my robots.

Partner holdplease2

Jul 22, 2004, 6:59 AM
Post #9 of 25 (3758 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't mean offense to anyone who has these cams and likes them...and I certainly am not saying that they aren't safe.

But for a person who lives for booty (ok, not THAT booty) I don't even bother to dig these out of the wall when I find them fixed. I climb with aliens, bd camalots, DMM, and metolius TCU and FCUs on my rack, so I am not just a brand-loyal person.

But I have not enjoyed climbing with the rock empire cams because they have not been that easy to use, the cam range vs the trigger range means that they get stuck more easily, and they just don't seem to be designed as well as other cams. Kind of like you drive a luxury car for awhile then, well, not to offend anyone, but then you drive a Kia. Or whatever, sorry kia owners. You can tell the difference. That doesn't make the kia bad...

Eventually, if you get these cams, you will probably shelve them and get BD, metolius, or wild country. If you wait 3 years to do this, then you got your money's worth. If you get cash in 6 months and switch, well, then you didn't.

Its all a matter of when you think you will get more money because eventually you will want different cams, I bet.

-Kate.

And no, I don't drive a Kia. But my furnature is from Ikea, so its close enough.

dredsovrn

Jul 22, 2004, 11:05 AM
Post #10 of 25 (3758 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The robot cams are OK. They can be a lilttle narrow for my taste. Not as smooth as Metolius, and the larger sizes can be a bit unstable, so just watch your placements with those.

hyhuu

Jul 22, 2004, 1:11 PM
Post #11 of 25 (3758 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That's what I have (I'm cheap). They are fine, I got no complain. I also use WC, DMM, Camelot from my friends' rack before. My conclusion is that once you learn how the gears work and use it properly then it's all good. And frankly, after doing a few climbs (that's hard for me) with tricky micronuts placement, talking about the finer point of placing different kind of cams seems trivial. Climb on.

hyhuu

anykineclimb

Jul 22, 2004, 1:35 PM
Post #12 of 25 (3758 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've got old Trango's and RE's on my rack. I like em and trust them.

I've used all other cams on the market, but for the time being, my cheap ass uses these. I guess you can say I've gotten by but I've seen worse cams out there(cassin..) I'd rather be out climbing than sitting around collecting gear waiting to climb.

If you've got the cash go for "better" stuff. Be sure to try different brands out though. Some LOVE BD's others hate em or prefer WC or Metolius, or HB, or DMM, or CCH, or.........

markc

Jul 22, 2004, 2:22 PM
Post #13 of 25 (3758 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Eventually, if you get these cams, you will probably shelve them and get BD, metolius, or wild country. If you wait 3 years to do this, then you got your money's worth. If you get cash in 6 months and switch, well, then you didn't.
-Kate.

As someone who purchased Rock Empires for $200 when building my rack, I have to agree. I eventually upgraded to BD. While RE are certified, they are discount cams. (Good discount car comparison, by the way.) The trigger action isn't as smooth, the lack of overlap between sizes can be frustrating, and the #5 is especially narrow and worrisome.

That being said, they were sufficient to get me leading. I had very few regular partners with racks, and Robots fit the bill during my first season or two. To continue the car analogy, a lot of us had a beater for a first car. You come to both love and hate it, and eventually go with something nicer if you can afford it. At least it got you from A to B in the meantime.

The first time a friend really fixed my .75 micro-robot, I abandoned it. I knew it was going to be a fight, as only one of the lobes was moving at all. It was in a really awkward placement, and after a little thrashing I decided it wasn't worth it. That started the BD revolution, which was assisted over that winter by X-mas and my birthday.

Longwinded, but I HTH,

mark

joneiche

Jul 22, 2004, 3:57 PM
Post #14 of 25 (3758 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a set of robots as well as a camalots from .4-4.5, aliens blue-red, and a set of forged friends and I use them all. I would agree with what others have posted about the 4 and 5 robot, they are rather narrow and tend to walk.

My recomendation would be buy the smaller sizes of the robots and supplement them with forged friends. at $35 a piece for the friends you are getting a great deal for great cams. just be aware that forged friends will sometimes get tangled on your rack as well as the fact that you need to be carful when placing them in horizontals (gunks tie off). However, for the price you can't beat them.

Realize that every different piece on your rack will find itself usefull at some point in time so keep your options open!

lokiraven

Jul 24, 2004, 12:39 PM
Post #15 of 25 (3758 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the input folks, much appreciated.

Partner tyify

Jul 24, 2004, 5:23 PM
Post #16 of 25 (3758 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are poor however the Rock Empire Cams are a great choice. I have bought the full 8 set and had no real problems. #4 and #5 just have to be slung at all times and then there not horrible. The Micros are really really nice and seem to always get placed. I would buy these for now and then fill in with some Camalots or some Aliens. Buy everyones favorite piece (Yellow Alien, Pink Tricam, etc..) after you've bought a full set of cams and you will have a very nice functional rack.

lv2climb7

Jul 24, 2004, 6:23 PM
Post #17 of 25 (3758 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

smellyferret

Jul 24, 2004, 6:52 PM
Post #18 of 25 (3758 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What about the Trango Flex Cams. They are only 40 bucks. I dont know much about them but they got good reviews in Climbing Magazine.

caughtinside

Jul 24, 2004, 8:12 PM
Post #19 of 25 (3758 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
But my furnature is from Ikea, so its close enough.

Furniture? And here I thought you were a real dirtbag. 8^)

Partner holdplease2

Jul 24, 2004, 11:45 PM
Post #20 of 25 (3758 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You caught me.

I don't have any furniture.

However, one time I found a futon frame on the sidewalk in NYC and drug it up into my apartment. It was from Ikea. I just liked the alliteration, so I sort of lied. Literary license, you know?

:)

-Kate.

caughtinside

Jul 24, 2004, 11:53 PM
Post #21 of 25 (3758 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Apartment? How bourgouis!

I burned the futon frame I had in a 55 gallon barrel, to warm my fingers since my wool gloves were fingerless.

Just kidding. I'm no dirtbag. My car has tinted windows, and was manufactured in europe.

dorkmaster

Jul 25, 2004, 12:29 AM
Post #22 of 25 (3758 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
My car has tinted windows, and was manufactured in europe.
are they bullet proof? 8^)

smithrock76

Aug 5, 2004, 7:27 AM
Post #23 of 25 (3758 views)
Shortcut

Re: Why yes I have [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I believe they are a good set of cams. I bought a set in Josh for a smokin' deal. I bought themto fill in some gaps in my exsisting rack. They have worked well for over two years. You can't beat the Price.
Lead On!

skateman

Aug 5, 2004, 1:26 PM
Post #24 of 25 (3758 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I bought the 1-5 set for $134. You can't beat the price! However, #4 & #5 seem a little
unstable. 1-3 work just as good as my Metolius FCU's, although the quality isn't on the
same level as the Metolius. However, I do prefer the extendable sling to the non-extendable
offered by most other brands.

Like others have said, good starter set, but you may want to upgrade as your budget
permits. At least you will have doubles for routes that require extra cam placements.

s-man

metis

Aug 6, 2004, 3:37 PM
Post #25 of 25 (3758 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I picked up a set from Ethan at Coyote Corner in JTree in March 04.The price was right $230. for a set of 8.You could pick and choose what ever you wanted.I used them during my stay a JTree and they worked like a charm.I don't know any place back in Canada where I could have got the same deal.I have no regrets buying them.Sure there are better out there but for the price you can't go wrong,Climb on.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook