Forums: Climbing Information: Climbing History & Trivia:
Does anyone know *who* Darrel Hatten is?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing History & Trivia

Premier Sponsor:

howlermonkey

Aug 7, 2004, 5:30 AM
Post #1 of 14 (4820 views)
Shortcut

Does anyone know *who* Darrel Hatten is?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Does anyone remember Darrel? AKA Jack Pine? AKA Doug Fir?

bhilden

Aug 7, 2004, 6:23 AM
Post #2 of 14 (4820 views)
Shortcut

Re: Does anyone know *who* Darrel Hatten is? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Electric Ladyland, Hockey Night in Canada.....

What a character and definitely a Yosemite legend. I remember being at the base of
El Cap and having Darrel rappel down after fixing to Sickle. He had recently been
kicked out of the Valley for shopliifting. The conversation went something like this:

Bruce: Darrel, is that you? What are you doiong back in the Valley/

Darrel: [donning a pair of dark sunglasses] The name's Doug, Doug Fir.

Brings back memories when climbers were non-conformists and bucked tradition.
It seems to me that the majority of present day climbers are trying way too hard
to conform. It's kind of boring. Yup, climbing has gone mainstream. Sigh.

Bruce

ps - I love those trying-to-conform "No Fear" bumper stickers. No self respecting
climber would ever put one of those on their car. If you don't get scared climbing
you are in serious denial or out bolt clipping.

howlermonkey

Aug 7, 2004, 6:33 AM
Post #3 of 14 (4820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude, thanks for sharing a memory of a dear old friend. I haven't seen Darrel for many years now and I hope to see him again some day.

Whenever people ask me if climbing is scary, I just tell them "I wouldn't do it if it wasn't!"

studs

Aug 7, 2004, 8:46 AM
Post #4 of 14 (4820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Heard he died of drug related AIDS .

howlermonkey

Aug 7, 2004, 3:02 PM
Post #5 of 14 (4820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I heard that rumor too, but I don't believe it. The climbing community is rife with unsubstantiated rumors.

studs

Aug 11, 2004, 9:06 AM
Post #6 of 14 (4820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ya ,I wouldnt believe it .They say Elvis is dead and hes been living next door to me for 10 years.

dee

Aug 17, 2004, 11:06 PM
Post #7 of 14 (4820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We used to call Darryl H. "Cro Magnon Man" but, in a loving way!

peas

Aug 17, 2004, 11:40 PM
Post #8 of 14 (4820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've never met Darrel Hatten, but if he's the same guy who put up a bunch of Squamish aid routes, then he was a pretty bad ass climber.

vivalargo

Aug 18, 2004, 7:03 PM
Post #9 of 14 (4820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hattan was always Cro Magnon to us in Camp 4. A sweethart of a guy and a genuine badd ass on the walls. Hope you're doing well, DH, wherever you is...

JL

peas

Aug 23, 2004, 7:56 PM
Post #10 of 14 (4820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have some bad news for those of you who knew Darryl. This was posted by Drew Brayshaw from cascadeclimbers.com on August 22.
http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/...d/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1

In reply to:
Darryl Hatten, a prominent Squamish climber in the 1970s, died in Victoria on August 21st, as a result of injuries sustained in a fall from a tree. He was in his late 40s, and leaves a brother, sister, mother, girlfriend, other family, and innumerable climbing friends. Darryl started climbing in the early 1970s, and made many significant ascents at Squamish and in Yosemite, particularly with Eric Weinstein. His forte was aid and wall climbing. At Squamish, he climbed Up From the Skies, Cerberus, Getting Down on the Brown, Pan Granitic Frogman, and Son of Pan. And the first free ascent of the Split Pillar on the Grand Wall, in 1975. His ascents in Yosemite included the North American Wall, very early ascents of the Zodiac, the Shield, and Electric Ladyland, and the second ascent of El Capitan's Pacific Ocean route (1977), then the hardest wall climb in the world. Darryl was well known for his energy and enthusiasm, his loyalty to his friends, his beer drinking capacity, and his occasional exuberance. He was also a skilled tree topper and later tree surgeon, sometimes known as 'Doug Fir'. Darryl had occasional brushes with the authorities, most famously for riding a bicycle (nude) through Yosemite Valley's Four Seasons restaurant, a stunt which led to his being banned from the Park. It is not yet known whether/where/when there will be a service, but Darryl's climbing friends hope to have an appropriate event to mark his passing.

Sad news to hear. My condolences to his family and friends.

kman64

Aug 25, 2004, 8:12 AM
Post #11 of 14 (4820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wish i had seen this thread earlier this month, Daryl would have loved to chat with you guys. I've worked on and off with him for 15 yrs doing trees. In fact we just did a lot clearing job together on Wed and Thur and then i lent him 40 bucks for beer and smokes Fri. He went to rescue a cat out of an Arbutus tree on Sat in the rain. Apparently he slipped and fell about 70 feet to the rocks below. I've seen him fall a few times. The guy was a machine. Unfortunatly he was getting pretty sloppy last couple of years. He really seemed to have lost his drive and will to live. I have no doubt it played a part in his not being able to recover. I didn't think i'd miss him this much, it's really sad, he had a good heart. Apparently there's a thing for him at the Tudor House Pub in Victoria Wed night around 7 pm. Every time i hear a Neil Young song i'll think of him. RIP Hacker.

Kent

howlermonkey

Aug 26, 2004, 4:24 AM
Post #12 of 14 (4820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fuck man. My heart is breaking. It's so hard to lose a brother. Yerian just called me a few minutes ago, and there are tears in my eyes as I write these words. How ironic that it was just a few weeks ago that I posted here looking for an old friend. Makes me feel that if we had found him things might have been different for Daryl...just a couple of old friends from the Valley trying to get in touch again, and tell him how much we love him.

I found this picture of Daryl a few minutes ago...
http://www.cyberpresse.ca/actualites/article/1,63,0,082004,773060.shtml

cchildre

Aug 26, 2004, 5:38 PM
Post #13 of 14 (4820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just read about that guy. The headline I read was almost a little comical the way it was written. I pictured the typical cat in a tree that you see on television a mere 10 feet off the ground. Nothing funny about this at all mind you. A 65 foot fall out of a tree is a serious thing. I am so sorry that he has been lost to all of you, he sounded like a great guy. Do not beat yourself up over not getting with him sooner. I lost a friend earlier this year that I plans to visit two weeks after he died and I have been kicking myself for the past six months that I did not plan it earlier and that does no one any good. My condolences to friends and family.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/187837_mountaineer25.html

howlermonkey

Aug 26, 2004, 6:36 PM
Post #14 of 14 (4820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the kind words. There is a memorial planned for Darryl at Squamish. BC on September 8th. I am planning on going. It would be nice to have one in Yosemite too for all his friends down here in the States.

Forums : Climbing Information : Climbing History & Trivia

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook