Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

organic

Aug 24, 2004, 12:00 AM
Post #1 of 76 (6351 views)
Shortcut

What are your climbing goals and...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

What are your climbing goals and what are you doing to achieve them? Has your training routine been improving your climbing and what do you think is the best training excercise you do to improve your climbing?

I hope to enter the Dec. Triple crown in the V6-V8 range.

To achieve my goals I have been climbing about 5 days a week. I try and boulder 3 days and do routes 2 days usually do laps after each bouldering session. I also have been working my core doing simple ab workouts every 2nd or 3rd night or so. My training has been improving my climbing a lot. I think the best training excercises I do are; laps help the best for building my forearms up and bouldering is great for my back and biceps.

Look forward to hearing everyone elses input! Also if you have some good ways to train pinch strength without buying any equipment I would be thankful for the input.

joe

Aug 24, 2004, 12:51 AM
Post #2 of 76 (6351 views)
Shortcut

Re: What are your climbing goals and... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

nutcracker in a day.

hipdos

Aug 24, 2004, 2:04 AM
Post #3 of 76 (6351 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My goal is pretty badly defined at the moment but the general idea is to be able to consistently climb grade 25 sport (12a/b) which I reckon opens up an endless variety of classics for me to try. Trad goals are undefined as I don't do enough of it.

My training techniques are equally badly defined. However, I have recently been reading a lot about the mental side of training (WW...) and also picked up Horst's latest book. Having struggled to improve a grade for three years now, I plan to focus strongly on the mental side and periodisation on the physical side. When you get older you realise that you cannot improve by just climbing as much as possible. Organic - climbing 5 days a week will work well when you are young and indestructable, but eventually you will need to focus on other areas to achieve full potential. Of course if you are only bouldering then this may not apply...

cgailey

Aug 24, 2004, 2:48 AM
Post #4 of 76 (6351 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I want to become more proficient in all aspects of alpinism; alpine rock, big wall, general mountaineering, mixed, and of course sport. I enjoy everything from bouldering to hauling monster packs up glaciers for days on end, and I just want to spend more time doing all of that...that is my goal! 8^)

davisjl1979

Aug 24, 2004, 4:12 AM
Post #5 of 76 (6351 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Trad a 5.10, and boulder a V6. Training consist of climbing whenever I can, and saving up enough dough to get the trad gear :wink:

jt512

Aug 24, 2004, 4:41 AM
Post #6 of 76 (6351 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
nutcracker in a day.

NIAD. I've heard of that.

-Jay

ldsclimber

Aug 24, 2004, 5:20 AM
Post #7 of 76 (6351 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

MY goal for climbing is to Climb Consistantly at 5.12 on gear . What I'm doing to reach that goal is 1 Moved to SLC 2 Climb All the Classic routes in LCC and BCC and Boulder three times a week At LCC. I don't climb Plastic mostly becase I always hurt my fingers.

pbjosh

Aug 24, 2004, 5:57 AM
Post #8 of 76 (6351 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
nutcracker in a day.

dude's straight hard yo

rockn_j

Aug 24, 2004, 7:42 AM
Post #9 of 76 (6351 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My Goal: *Enjoy climbing as much as possible.
*Climb us much as possible.
*Be able to climb at a consistant grade

My training: *Climb as much as possible
*A couple of pull-ups every now and then when I'm bored 8^)

overlord

Aug 24, 2004, 8:25 AM
Post #10 of 76 (6351 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my goal is to climb. as much as possible.

climbnhi

Aug 24, 2004, 9:11 AM
Post #11 of 76 (6351 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I try to make two or three goals each time I go out. I tend to forget my long term goals unless I have something to remind me. The other weekend, my goal was to push my trad limit up a notch, which I did, by three full grades. I think setting realistic objectives that I can focus on during a trip sets me up for success. Whereas setting a goal of onsighting 5.12, while realistic, is something I will loose sight of in the scope of my ultimate goal/mission in life, which is to climb as much as possible.

darth_gaydar

Aug 24, 2004, 12:44 PM
Post #12 of 76 (6351 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Smoking everyone else's stash.

organic

Aug 25, 2004, 12:22 PM
Post #13 of 76 (6351 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
My goal is to be able to on onsight 5.13 this winter.

training consists of training 3 days per week in the gym and one 1/2 day outdoors. ( I should do more outdoors but don't have the time)

at the gym I do 1 or 2 ARCs just below local lactate threshold (that is the fore arms), I also do continuous intensity repetitions (for example 15 V3s with 2 mins rest between each) power endurance traversing, 4X4s, and 6X8s.

at the crag I up and down climb routes just below my lactate threshold level for 10 - 15 min. each. Do several on sights, do laps on routes just below lactate threshold, and go for the maximum volume of routes in a day.

thanks for asking.

What is an ARC?

corpse

Aug 25, 2004, 1:49 PM
Post #14 of 76 (6351 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My goal is to get to the crag via crappy approach without my back bothering me, then I can enjoy the climbing more :-) ok, thats half of it.

And in reasonable order....
- Get more efficient at self-rescue stuff (ie: practice! mostly book learning so far)
- Get in some 2-4 pitch climbs on easy terrain for the exposure
- Get comfy leading 9's - leading 10's will be a couple more years at my rate.
- After the above, some taller multi-pitch would be nice

And my number one goal which I never lose site of, is to HAVE FUN CLIMBING.

pjcozzi

Aug 25, 2004, 2:09 PM
Post #15 of 76 (6351 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My number one goal is to have fun without killing myself.

After that I want to
* become a solid 5.6 trad leader (stop laughing, remember when you first started trad)
* become a solid 5.10 climber on TR

I’ve been going to the gym 2-3 times a week trying to push my limit (5.10-) and also focusing on technique on easier climbs (5.7ish). I try to lead trad once or twice a month.

Pat.

jt512

Aug 25, 2004, 3:02 PM
Post #16 of 76 (6351 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I’ve been going to the gym 2-3 times a week trying to push my limit (5.10-) and also focusing on technique on easier climbs (5.7ish). I try to lead trad once or twice a month.

Pat.

One problem with this approach is that you don't need technique on 5.7 climbs.

-Jay

nicebooty

Aug 25, 2004, 3:16 PM
Post #17 of 76 (6351 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you do to need technique on a 5.7 climb. You need technique to climb anything, otherwise you wouldt get off the ground.

jt512

Aug 25, 2004, 3:19 PM
Post #18 of 76 (6351 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
you do to need technique on a 5.7 climb. You need technique to climb anything, otherwise you wouldt get off the ground.

You need about as much technique to climb a 5.7 gym route as you need to climb a ladder.

-Jay

corpse

Aug 25, 2004, 3:33 PM
Post #19 of 76 (6351 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

c'mon there jt, is that an elitist POST? :wink: You most certainly need technique for a 5.7, just as you do a 5.5 - albeit, not as much technique as a .9 or something, but a .7 you are not going to climb clean (typically) without any climbing experience.. A ladder CAN be climbed without climbing experience. My 7 yr old can climb a ladder, why can't she onsight any .7 she hits??? experience and technique!! BTW - isn't a ladder a 5.0/5.1 climbing anyways? Thats like comparing a 5.6 to a 5.10+, big diff.
Not to mention, leading a 5.6 is WAY different than TR'ing a 5.6 - the mental aspect of a new leader makes it more challenging.

jt512

Aug 25, 2004, 3:38 PM
Post #20 of 76 (6351 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
c'mon there jt, is that an elitist POST? :wink: You most certainly need technique for a 5.7, just as you do a 5.5 - albeit, not as much technique as a .9 or something, but a .7 you are not going to climb clean (typically) without any climbing experience.. A ladder CAN be climbed without climbing experience. My 7 yr old can climb a ladder, why can't she onsight any .7 she hits??? experience and technique!! BTW - isn't a ladder a 5.0/5.1 climbing anyways? Thats like comparing a 5.6 to a 5.10+, big diff.
Not to mention, leading a 5.6 is WAY different than TR'ing a 5.6 - the mental aspect of a new leader makes it more challenging.

He's talking about a 5.7 gym climb. Most anybody walking in the door for the first time could "on-sight" a 5.7 gym climb. How are you going to learn technique when the route doesn't challenge you? The original poster says he can TR two to three number grades harder. Why isn't he working technique at that level?

-Jay

nicebooty

Aug 25, 2004, 3:44 PM
Post #21 of 76 (6351 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i dont no why u people even bother posting to things, if you cant be nice. no one cares if u can onsight your 5.13's with barely any technique or watever, but the fact is for the majoritiy of the people in the world they cant just walk in and climb a 5.7. ive brung many people who never climbed to the gym and they can just climb a 5.5 . . . ..

jt512

Aug 25, 2004, 3:51 PM
Post #22 of 76 (6351 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i dont no why u people even bother posting to things, if you cant be nice. no one cares if u can onsight your 5.13's with barely any technique or watever, but the fact is for the majoritiy of the people in the world they cant just walk in and climb a 5.7. ive brung many people who never climbed to the gym and they can just climb a 5.5 . . . ..

No one is not being nice. Grow up.

I disagree with you: most people can walk up and on-sight 5.7 in the gym. For that matter, most people who would attempt it in the first place can TR 5.7 "on sight" their first day. Maybe not at the Gunks.

-Jay

brianc

Aug 25, 2004, 4:09 PM
Post #23 of 76 (6351 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I’ve been going to the gym 2-3 times a week trying to push my limit (5.10-) and also focusing on technique on easier climbs (5.7ish).
Pat.
Has anyone considered what he/she may mean is that they focus on technique at lower grades to engrain it for harder grades? That for many of us, esp. when pushing our limit, technique often flies right out the window if we're not conciously thinking about it.

jt512

Aug 25, 2004, 4:26 PM
Post #24 of 76 (6351 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I’ve been going to the gym 2-3 times a week trying to push my limit (5.10-) and also focusing on technique on easier climbs (5.7ish).
Pat.
Has anyone considered what he/she may mean is that they focus on technique at lower grades to engrain it for harder grades? That for many of us, esp. when pushing our limit, technique often flies right out the window if we're not conciously thinking about it.

Most 5.7 routes don't require the technique(s) needed climb 5.10. To climb the typical 5.7 gym route. You face the wall 90% of the time and climb it like you're climbing a ladder. Try doing that on 5.10. Unless you're quite strong, you'll find that you need an entirely different set of techniques to climb the route at all, much less, to climb it efficiently.

-Jay

brianc

Aug 25, 2004, 4:41 PM
Post #25 of 76 (5319 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Most 5.7 routes don't require the technique(s) needed climb 5.10. To climb the typical 5.7 gym route. You face the wall 90% of the time and climb it like you're climbing a ladder. Try doing that on 5.10. Unless you're quite strong, you'll find that you need an entirely different set of techniques to climb the route at all, much less, to climb it efficiently.
-Jay
Exactly. Kinda tough to work technique if you can barely hang on.

My point is this. I'm sure you've taken out brand new climbers. Some of them just get body position - leaning this way stabilizes in that direction, this foot positioned just so gets me to the next hold, etc - and some don't - they always looks desperate and unsure. So you try and teach the "donts" those thousands (or at least a few :) ) of engrams of movement that you've developed over the years. They're not all necessary to the climb at hand but they will prove useful in the future.

There is value in practice is there not?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook