Forums: Climbing Information: Technique & Training:
Wooden hang boards...anyone know where to buy?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

Partner mahlon

Sep 2, 2004, 5:12 PM
Post #1 of 16 (2500 views)
Shortcut

Wooden hang boards...anyone know where to buy?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just a quick question, I remember seeing something about a new wooden hang board coming out, think that it was on this site but can't find anything on search. Pretty sure it said that metolius was making it but didn't see anything on their web site.

Well anyhow, if any of you know of a link to anything about these please post it.

overlord

Sep 4, 2004, 10:38 AM
Post #2 of 16 (2500 views)
Shortcut

Re: Wooden hang boards...anyone know where to buy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

make your own???

its actually pretty simple.

one way to do it is in layers. you jsut cut shapes into sheats of wood and then glue them together (make sure you plan it right, though).

the other is to get a thick piece of wood and carve it out.

or you can just nail holds to a wooden plank.

chalked4dyno

Sep 4, 2004, 1:14 PM
Post #3 of 16 (2500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, it was Metolius that makes it. You probably saw it in Maculated's gear review. Where to get it?...no clue... i'd start with the Metolius website.

chalked4dyno

Sep 4, 2004, 1:19 PM
Post #4 of 16 (2500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I checked http://www.metoliusclimbing.com/training.htm
It seems like metolius doesn't have it on their website yet, you may have to wait a while before it's available.

Partner mahlon

Sep 4, 2004, 1:51 PM
Post #5 of 16 (2500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the responses guys, yeah I think it was in Maculated's review, and yeah I had checked Metolius' website first before I posted here. Well if anyone else knows anything please post, if not I guess I'll just have to wait till it comes out or as the other poster said build my own.

johnny_b_goode

Sep 4, 2004, 3:16 PM
Post #6 of 16 (2500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Metolius sells little strips of wood to screw to a another peice of wood for making a hangboard in their catalogue. The dimensions and price are both listed there, and I will post them as soon as i find my catalogue. I assume it must be particularly easy to make, and if you don't mind your strips of wood not saying Metolius on them then your local hardware store is calling your name. Now where did I put that catalogue.......

Matt

thewyseclimber

Sep 4, 2004, 5:31 PM
Post #7 of 16 (2500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, you can make your own without too much difficulty. I would use something like a treated 2x8, cause the treatment makes it stronger and less likely to split. I just used about 18 inches of a 2x8 and a drill press with a router bit, and made various depths and widths of pockets with a little creativity. I've got 2, 3, and 4 finger pockets, and I'm working on slopers for the top. I'm sure you could use a regular drill instead of a press, but the press worked well to get the desired depth more accurately. Just be creative, and have fun.

saskclimber

Sep 4, 2004, 6:03 PM
Post #8 of 16 (2500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Metolius sells little strips of wood to screw to a another peice of wood for making a hangboard in their catalogue.
The little strips of wood are designed to make a camps board/wall, not a hangboard.
http://www.hkclimbing.com/training/campus.jpg
as opposed to..
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=25289
no worries though..

when campusing, you generally move up the "ladder" by using your arms only. On hangboards, you do just that...hang

That said, you COULD use campus strips on a hangboard, but it would get very boring and not be of much benfit, because you could only train your crimp strength pretty much.

overlord

Sep 4, 2004, 6:23 PM
Post #9 of 16 (2500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

campus rungs can be used like a hangboard, but like said above, it wold get boring really quick.

the second pic is a quite decent wooden hangboard. saw some larger ones (one was actually about 3 times as large, but nobody says you have to start with something this big).

veganboyjosh

Sep 4, 2004, 6:26 PM
Post #10 of 16 (2500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lookie here:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/articles/index.php?id=141

i'mma try and build something similar to this today, with wood from the alley behind my house.

also, wyse suggested using treated 2x material. i would suggest against that, as that stuff was treated with all kinds of toxic stuff to keep it from rotting. when i worked in construction, if i had to handle that stuff, i'd wear gloves, cos if you scuffed your hand or arm with it, you'd have an irritated rash the rest of the day in that spot. and if you're gonna be hanging on it for a workout, it's gonna get under your skin. gross stuff.
regarding making it split resistant, i never had that experience, quite the opposite, that stuff split all the time.

daryl314

Sep 5, 2004, 4:58 AM
Post #11 of 16 (2500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Metolius sells little strips of wood to screw to a another peice of wood for making a hangboard in their catalogue.
The little strips of wood are designed to make a camps board/wall, not a hangboard.
http://www.hkclimbing.com/training/campus.jpg
as opposed to..
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=25289
no worries though..

when campusing, you generally move up the "ladder" by using your arms only. On hangboards, you do just that...hang

That said, you COULD use campus strips on a hangboard, but it would get very boring and not be of much benfit, because you could only train your crimp strength pretty much.

just crimp strength? you can do open handed hangs on campus rungs with 1-4 fingers. i don't think tossing a campus strip on a hangboard would be a bad idea. the wood is really skin-friendly.

nosilaclimbs

Sep 5, 2004, 5:32 AM
Post #12 of 16 (2500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Metolius is coming out with a wooden hangboard made of alder wood to complement their wooden alder grips in the Spring of 2005.

korntera

Sep 15, 2004, 9:31 PM
Post #13 of 16 (2500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Are there any pictures of the wooden hangboard? I can't seem to find any, i might just wait and get that one if it has all the features of the simulator.

johnson6102002

Sep 15, 2004, 10:05 PM
Post #14 of 16 (2500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i made a wooden hangboored but if you are planning on buying one and you want one just like the simulator then why not get the simulator? it has so many options and if u have the funds now why wait to get a wooden one exactly the same?

nosilaclimbs

Sep 15, 2004, 10:15 PM
Post #15 of 16 (2500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Metolius has a picture of the new wooden board in their Spring 2005 catalog (if you can get a hold of one). It does look more like the Simulator than any of the other training boards. Actually, I hear from an inside source that it should be coming out in November of this year not in Spring as I was told before. I wouldn't have your heart set on November though. Many times vendors will say it's coming out on a certain date and then production gets screwy and thing go awry. Take the Trango Cinch for example. Trango said it would be out in March of 2004 and finally it has arrived in September of 2004. You might want to give Metolius a call.

johnny_b_goode

Sep 17, 2004, 8:29 PM
Post #16 of 16 (2500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, excuse my totally ass-a-nine response. I wasnt thinking about what i was writing.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook