RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

therealdeal

Sep 10, 2004, 10:40 PM
Post #1 of 17 (5484 views)
Shortcut

Volkswagen Eurovan Camper: Opinions
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey,

I'm buying a 2002 VW Eurovan Weekender. This has the poptop, but not the stove and fridge.

Anybody have one of these, or any Eurovan?

Any problems?

Anything you love/hate?

Thanks,
Neal

telluryan

Sep 10, 2004, 10:49 PM
Post #2 of 17 (5484 views)
Shortcut

Re: Volkswagen Eurovan Camper: Opinions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have got the vanagon style Westy. Love it. Better clearance than the eurovan. Stove/ Fridge rarely gets used except for storage.

Would be rough to cook bacon in the van and always live w/ the smell on everything. Great for coffee in the am or boiling water though...

Weekenders are nice though...

c-money
Deleted

Sep 10, 2004, 11:09 PM
Post #3 of 17 (5484 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds nice! The newer style EuroVans are nice: big, but not too huge. A little more metal/cushion up front for protection in collisions. They can be pretty pricey however...

I wouldn't really want the fridge or stove anyway... fridges in earlier models often create body-rust issues (I don't know if this is an issue with newer body-types). It is easy enough to use a cooler and campstove. Cooking outside of your van will keep the interior from getting too stinky on roadtrips: you can always set up a tarp to cook under in ugly weather.

Pop-top is nice - good to stretch the legs and stand-up if you a stuck inside - but would not really be a deal-breaker for me...

The main thing to consider with VW, in my mind, is the issue of repairs and breakdowns. If you breakdown in some little town without a VW mechanic, you may be looking at a long tow to someone who is willing to work on your vehicle (a friend of mine had to get towed from basically Yosemite to Walnut Creek). If you are mechanically inclined, this might not be an issue...

Vans are the way to travel... you should have some fun roadtrips soon!

therealdeal

Sep 11, 2004, 12:01 AM
Post #4 of 17 (5484 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bump...

thanks alot.

anymore info out there...???

carbo

Sep 11, 2004, 12:03 AM
Post #5 of 17 (5484 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have had no experience with Eurovan but plenty of recalls and leaking gaskets on an Audi. Reliability might be an issue
check this out
http://www.myvwlemon.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=EuroVan&number=7&DaysPrune=1000&LastLogin=

davidji

Sep 11, 2004, 12:06 AM
Post #6 of 17 (5484 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hey,

I'm buying a 2002 VW Eurovan Weekender. This has the poptop, but not the stove and fridge.

Anybody have one of these, or any Eurovan?

Any problems?

Anything you love/hate?

Thanks,
Neal
From the one I road tripped in a few years back, the only problem I remember (other than a busted fridge) was clutch slippage. Clutch wasn't worn out either, just too weak for such a hefty van.

Don't know if they offered the 5cyl as late as '02, but I'd avoid 5cyl 5-speed in favor of V6 auto.

therealdeal

Sep 11, 2004, 12:12 AM
Post #7 of 17 (5484 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have had no experience with Eurovan but plenty of recalls and leaking gaskets on an Audi. Reliability might be an issue
check this out
http://www.myvwlemon.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=EuroVan&number=7&DaysPrune=1000&LastLogin=

yeah...that is a good site. alittle spooky (if you've pretty well bought the car in question like Ihave) but its best to get both sides of the story...and you certainly get one side there!

i,ve got a A4 2.8L Audi and its had little quirks, but never anything major, and the drivetrain has been ultra dependable...but of course, it only has 132,000 miles....

climbs4fun

Sep 11, 2004, 12:12 AM
Post #8 of 17 (5484 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I love my Westy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wouldn't get one without the stove. I don't use my refridgerator though.

therealdeal

Sep 11, 2004, 12:15 AM
Post #9 of 17 (5484 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
From the one I road tripped in a few years back, the only problem I remember (other than a busted fridge) was clutch slippage. Clutch wasn't worn out either, just too weak for such a hefty van.

Don't know if they offered the 5cyl as late as '02, but I'd avoid 5cyl 5-speed in favor of V6 auto.

the 2002 has a 201 hrspwr v6...i've driven the full camper extensively (which must be a bit heavier) and it has some nice pull....they overhauled the v6 after 2000.

thanks!

climbs4fun

Sep 11, 2004, 12:20 AM
Post #10 of 17 (5484 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mine is a 1990 4cyl auto. Sucks when the water tank is full, but empty, it isn't too bad. Just avoid hills. :wink:

therealdeal

Sep 11, 2004, 12:23 AM
Post #11 of 17 (5484 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have got the vanagon style Westy. Love it. Better clearance than the eurovan. ...

yeah...that is a big reason why i did not want the full camper, b/c the propane hook up and waste water outlet make it really low slung...not the best thing for a climber's vehicle.

thanks!

carbo

Sep 11, 2004, 12:39 AM
Post #12 of 17 (5484 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You could be fine one never knows (our A6 2.8L has had quite a few gaskets replaced). Get the extended warranty if you can, we did and it has paid itself off.
Enjoy the road trips

billiebob

Sep 11, 2004, 12:58 AM
Post #13 of 17 (5484 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You are lucky it's not the camper with the stove and fridge. On my partner's 2000 eurovan camper, there were annoyances from DAY 1.
The spare battery kept going dead. 10 trips to the dealer and 4 batteries later, they found a short somewhere. The venetian blinds wouldn't stay mounted, the mouldings on the kitchen panels came right off, and other plastic parts quickly broke. The water pump on the VR6 went within a year or so as well. The propane tank was mounted so low it nearly always bottomed out on pretty casual dirt roads. I suppose it could be moved, but it's a big job. Also, handling was HORRIBLE with the heavy kitchen appliances all on the left side of the rig.

That said, it got excellent fuel economy and is far more comfortable than a pickup. The stove and fridge worked perfectly all the time.

The Weekender (what you got) handles FAR better, and has FAR fewer crap to break. It's a great ride, as long as you can tolerate higher than average frequency of repair and higher than average repair costs.

Good luck

therealdeal

Sep 11, 2004, 2:00 AM
Post #14 of 17 (5484 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

That said, it got excellent fuel economy and is far more comfortable than a pickup. The stove and fridge worked perfectly all the time.

The Weekender (what you got) handles FAR better, and has FAR fewer crap to break. It's a great ride, as long as you can tolerate higher than average frequency of repair and higher than average repair costs.

Good luck

Yeah..I gotta admit, having owned a couple of german cars, deep down i'm ready to have the odd (lets hope) maintenaince issue with this van...who knows maybe i'll get super lucky, i'll let ya'll know.

the one thing though...with the german cars i tend to get a solid feeling/driving car that feels pretty much the same with 300k miles as it did with 25k...

thanks for the input!

overlord

Sep 11, 2004, 6:53 AM
Post #15 of 17 (5484 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dont be too afraid of the lemmons. its like lotery, some times you jsutdont have any luck.

we have a VW car (skoda octavia) and never had a serious problem in about 5 years. actually the only problem requiring towing was when i blew the oil reservoir (dont know the term, under the engine) on a rock :oops:

therealdeal

Sep 11, 2004, 1:45 PM
Post #16 of 17 (5484 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

...the oil pan.

Yeah, I like VWs...I'm psyched.

Thanks...

karlbaba

Sep 11, 2004, 2:42 PM
Post #17 of 17 (5484 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've had 3 VWs but not the newer ones like the Eurovan. I've had friends with the more recent VWs.

I'm sick of the weak engines and frequent maintenance problems.

Now I have a camper van conversion based on a Ford Econoline. These kinds of vehicles are available used at cheaper prices than VWs and are more powerful. I still get about 15 miles per gallon but haven't had any major problems in 75000 miles.

I know folks thinks VWs can be cool and fun, but I'd start building up a savings for the "emergency new engine" fund from day one

Peace

Karl

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook