Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

enjoimx

Sep 23, 2004, 4:51 AM
Post #26 of 61 (6991 views)
Shortcut

Re: nalgene myth shattered [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

the plastic bottles you buy at the grocery store already filled with filtered water dont break either. And they are much cheaper than nalgenes. I still dont understand why a water bottle is so trendy.

dm

Sep 23, 2004, 5:01 AM
Post #27 of 61 (6991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
the plastic bottles you buy at the grocery store already filled with filtered water dont break either. And they are much cheaper than nalgenes. I still dont understand why a water bottle is so trendy.

I agree. Nalgenes are a total ripoff and a plastic bottle does the job as well, can be cheaply replaced and is lighter. The only time I use a Nalgene is when I need a wide mouth bottle for snow.

naw

Sep 23, 2004, 5:52 AM
Post #28 of 61 (6991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have personally had a Nalgene fall out of my pack while 4th classing up an almost vertical face and watched it bounce about 200 feet down, free-falling 30-50 feet between bounces. I didn't feel like climbing back down to find it but when I downclimbed later on that night I found it amoungst some brush at the bottom. Guess what: It had some scratches on it and the strap connecting the lid to the bottle was almost ripped through, but the bottle itself was fully intact and still full of deliciously refreshing gatorade. I'll continue to buy them when I need new water bottles. On a side note, I went cheap when I was out in Colorado doing 14ers a few months back and picked up a couple generic bottles. Result? They had both failed by the end of the month.

thewyseclimber

Sep 23, 2004, 7:13 AM
Post #29 of 61 (6991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Obviously some fun can be had in trying to purposely break your nalgs, just for kicks. Last summer, after repeatedly throwing my friend's as high as I could to watch it fall on the hard packed dirt road, and after hitting it with a burly old wooden baseball bat, I finally shattered it by flinging (after pouring half the water out) as hard as possible into a set of stone stairs. Fun times. Has anybody had experiences with the "imitation" colored nalgenes? I believe maybe wal mart sells some sort of thing like that. My friends at camp this summer were imitation nalg users, and insisted theirs were supposed to be just as strong as the real thing. We never got the chance to do a proper scientific comparison test.

far_east_climber

Sep 23, 2004, 10:06 AM
Post #30 of 61 (6991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, I guess it's more for marketing. I once saw a full gatorade bottle drop on it's corner and shatter like glass... kind of strange.

Partner sauron

Sep 23, 2004, 12:28 PM
Post #31 of 61 (6991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My bottle of laundry detergent fell off my laundry basket on my way to the laundry room, and dumped half it's contents on me and the ground.

Maybe if it had been made from Lexan, it would have survived...

- d.

crackboy

Sep 23, 2004, 11:19 PM
Post #32 of 61 (6991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bet ya most if not all the stories of nalgenes breaking were not completly full of water.. if its half full or so the force of the water hitting the bottle is going to break it. i knew a guy who used to be able to blow out the bottle of old school coke bottles by hitting the top end.

some of the physics geeks will probably stop by with a scientific explanation of it

Partner coldclimb

Sep 23, 2004, 11:30 PM
Post #33 of 61 (6991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Never seen a nalgene break yet myself, but I've seen one go 200 feet off a climb and survive. It was an old-school one, not lexan. Looked like it busted from above, but it was fine when we got back down to it. Guess it must have just been a dust cloud, not water spray. I've also bashed a few against rocks, and only got scratches on them for my troubles. Plenty strong enough for me. :D

cgailey

Sep 23, 2004, 11:34 PM
Post #34 of 61 (6991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Never seen a nalgene break yet myself, but I've seen one go 200 feet off a climb and survive. It was an old-school one, not lexan. Looked like it busted from above, but it was fine when we got back down to it. Guess it must have just been a dust cloud, not water spray. I've also bashed a few against rocks, and only got scratches on them for my troubles. Plenty strong enough for me. :D

I guess that was about 200 feet wasn't it? I still use that bottle :righton:

micahmcguire

Sep 23, 2004, 11:47 PM
Post #35 of 61 (6991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had a full nalgene bottle tumble over 3000' off the side of Eagle Peak in the Chugach and it was not broken. I've also, just for kicks, tossed them from a number of cliffs and over the sides of buildings and such, and only ever broke one. It had previously frozen solid in my car the night before when the temperature had dipped below -20F.

Good water bottles

Partner tgreene

Sep 23, 2004, 11:58 PM
Post #36 of 61 (6991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For a true scientific test, one needs to be shot off the top of Devils Tower, or better yet, El Cap, with a water balloon sling shot...

For a better evaluation of this very scientific study, both the new and old styles should be launched, and video must be taken! :twisted:

gremlin

Sep 26, 2004, 9:47 PM
Post #37 of 61 (6991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I dunno, a friends nalgene fell out of his bag yesterday while we were hauling it up to the top of Strike a Scowl at the NRG(60 feet maybe?), and it came down and hit the bottom ledge and just sorta stopped there and was perfectly fine. So I guess it's a good part luck as to the bottle surviving a drop or not.

EDIT: And it was around a half to 2/3rds full at the time.

andy_reagan

Sep 26, 2004, 10:01 PM
Post #38 of 61 (6991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was bummed when they stopped making the nalgenes with the wolf or cougar emblems.

soulwithoutfear

Sep 26, 2004, 10:11 PM
Post #39 of 61 (6991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This past summer, my collegues and I made it our goal to break a Nalgene and I just have to say that it is not as easy as some people are making it sound. This Nalgene was a little over a year old and was in great condition. We filled that baby up with water and for 4 weeks we beat it in every way we could think of. We threw it off of the climbing tower numerous times and smashed it against rocks with all the force we could. We even had Nalgene Wars (a newly invented game created by us, The COPE staff) in which you throw full Nalgenes at each other using anything you can to block them including trees, sticks, other Nalgenes, and even crash pads. After the first few weeks we created a stick on which I wrote Death-To-Nalgene and for the rest of the summer we hit it as far as we can, golf style. After it spilled a few times from the cap being off, I hit it one last time and shattered a small part of it off. The Nalgene Legacy

microbdcamalot

Sep 26, 2004, 11:47 PM
Post #40 of 61 (6991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if it breaks, but a new one. its a damn bottle. get over it.

Partner tgreene

Sep 27, 2004, 12:17 AM
Post #41 of 61 (6991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
if it breaks, but a new one. its a damn bottle. get over it.
HATER! :evil:

tawl

Sep 27, 2004, 12:18 AM
Post #42 of 61 (6991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I was bummed when they stopped making the nalgenes with the wolf or cougar emblems.

Wolves and cougars ate our roast beef...

cschnur

Sep 27, 2004, 12:36 AM
Post #43 of 61 (6991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i let a friend test the unbreakable theory. he filled it with water and dropped it down the stairs in his dorm full of water i believe. needless to say it shattered but i have been unable to do any damage to mine i did stretch one by filling it too full of water and freezing it, but its still going strong. the only damage in the field i have been able to inflict is breaking the ring that holds the cap

tradmanclimbs

Sep 27, 2004, 1:01 AM
Post #44 of 61 (6991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

never owned a nalgene. i just take a soda or water bottle, wrap it in duct tape with assesory cord or webbibg loop. they usualy last a year or so. i have a sport cap on my current beater 8^)

Partner one900johnnyk

Sep 27, 2004, 1:18 AM
Post #45 of 61 (6991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ANYTIME YOU DROP ANY BIT OF GEAR YOU SHOULD RETIRE IT AND THIS PROVES IT OHMYGOD!! THERE WERE PROBABLY MICRO-FRACTURES FROM A PREVIOUS FALL BUT YOU FELT LIKE THE PRICE OF A NALGENE WAS WORTH YOUR LIFE AND NOW YOU PAID THE ULTIMATE PRICE. TWICE!!!

Partner philbox

Sep 27, 2004, 2:51 AM
Post #46 of 61 (6991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

/\/\/\/\/\/\ BURT BRONSON?

Partner tyify

Sep 28, 2004, 2:40 AM
Post #47 of 61 (6991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"Those in the non-refilling camp state that only bottles specifically made to be reused should be. For starters, they say that all kinds of bacteria can thrive in made-to-be-disposed bottles, even after washing. An additional concern is that harmful chemicals can leach out of single-use plastic bottles and into your drinking water. Chemically speaking, the plastics used to make single-use bottles are not designed to stand up to washing. Therefore, the heat from wash water — either from hand washing or machine washing (and possibly also from the detergents used) — can degrade the plastic of the bottles, increasing the likelihood of chemical leaching."

I don't know the scientic validity of the above statements but just thought it'd be kinda interesting. Another reason to stick with nalgenes is a good one IMO!

Partner tyify

Sep 28, 2004, 2:42 AM
Post #48 of 61 (6991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just found some more stuff...once again can't vouch for validity but just interesting.

http://www.encorp.ca/cfm/index.cfm?It=909&Id=9

scgreene2000

Sep 28, 2004, 3:04 AM
Post #49 of 61 (6991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use my grandmothers old red douche bag and that is UNBREAKABLE! Also it is easier to sleep with on alpine routes.

saskclimber

Sep 28, 2004, 3:08 AM
Post #50 of 61 (6991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here on the University of Saskatchewan Campus, it seems like EVERYBODY is carrying Nalgene's... I guess you know you're Canadian when.... (I know American's use them too, but hey, I like being patriotic)...Viva La Nalgene!!!
http://www.geocities.com/superchev01/nalflag.jpg

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook