RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

adeptus

Sep 26, 2004, 8:06 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1528 views)
Shortcut

Petzl SIDELOCK binding?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Have any of you tried the new binding system from Petzl? I was thinking about getting the Sarken crampons, but the rubber thing on the side looks like it’s going to break off easily, especially when it’s very cold.
Are they any good or should I just stick to my good old Charlet Moser Black Ice?

drake

Sep 29, 2004, 7:01 PM
Post #2 of 3 (1528 views)
Shortcut

Re: Petzl SIDELOCK binding? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a pair of the Sarkens and a pair of Black Ice. The Black Ice have worked well for me but i like the front points on the Sarkens for hard Alaskan ice. The down side to the sarkens is they dull quickly and the front plate has to be replaced ($75 a pair) instead of front points (compare to the Grivel G14's). The Sarkens climb rock well and weigh 13.5 oz less than the G14's (with antibott plates). They are lighter than the Black Ice also.
I have heard of the little rubber pull breaking off but I had no trouble as cold as 10 below. In a pinch, I would just use my pick to fasten the crampon until I got off a route. I do like the low profile sidelock system compared to the conventional set up.

Conclusion:
I will keep using the Sarkens for alpine routes. They climb great and the weight savings can't be passed up.

I like my G14's as a back up pair and for roadside WI.

I save my Black Ice just in case I need something for a slog or something that required scrambling on easy rock & snow (because they are durable on rock). They worked fine on the North Face of Athabasca.

drake

farva

Oct 18, 2004, 4:43 AM
Post #3 of 3 (1528 views)
Shortcut

Re: Petzl SIDELOCK binding? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the Vasak, which has the sidelock.

Good:

These crampons are really light for a semi-technical crampon
Antibots are included
Attachment mechanism is very secure once engaged

Bad:

I had to sand down the sole of my Scarpa Invernos at the heel to get the bail onto the rear welt.
The locking mechanism is kinda tedious to engage with gloves on & it feels like it is going to break every time you roll it over (It has not broken yet though)

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook