RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Used Gear / Great Deals

Premier Sponsor:

j_magnuson

Oct 4, 2004, 7:54 PM
Post #1 of 7 (1761 views)
Shortcut

FS: BD Ice tools and Helmet
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

For Sale:

1 Pair BD Black Prophets: These are a pair of straight shafted, non-Carbon fiber tools. They are great beginner or Alpine tools. They have new-ish Cobra picks (1 light season on them), are modular with two hammers and a spare adze (the adze alone is $40 from BD provided they still have any). I'll include the BD lockdown leashes that are on them. I'm asking $100obo+shipping for the set and will listen to any serious offers.

BD Half Dome Helmet: New, with only one or two minor scratches. No hits on it, no stickers. One size fits most, $40obo+shipping.

If you have any questions or would like pictures, please PM me or email me at joshuamagnuson@[NOSPAM]hotmail.com (remove the "[NOSPAM]" of course!).

Thanks,
Josh

csproul

Oct 4, 2004, 9:44 PM
Post #2 of 7 (1761 views)
Shortcut

Re: FS: BD Ice tools and Helmet [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

check your pm

furrymurry

Oct 5, 2004, 8:16 PM
Post #3 of 7 (1761 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

and check the PM again

gunkiemike

Oct 6, 2004, 12:20 AM
Post #4 of 7 (1761 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

These tools would be a good candidate for converting into leashless tools. Here's what I did to a pair of old X-15's:

http://www.gunks.com/photopost/data/500/16DIY_leashless.JPG

The handles are laminated plywood (panelling) and fiberglass. There's a long piece that slides up inside the hollow aluminum shaft (and is screwed in place there) and the whole thing is spiral wrapped with more fiberglass. I'll let ya know how they work as soon as winter arrives They sure were a fun summer project!

j_magnuson

Oct 6, 2004, 1:55 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1761 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The tools have sold. The helmet is still available.

Josh

farva

Oct 10, 2004, 6:14 AM
Post #6 of 7 (1761 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Interesting mod. Looks fairly sturdy. Did you have any method of proof loading these? I hope you copied the angle relationship of the pick / handle hand grip from a production leashless tool. If it is off, the pick will bounce off the ice (something I noticed in my experimentations)

gunkiemike

Oct 10, 2004, 7:23 PM
Post #7 of 7 (1761 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Interesting mod. Looks fairly sturdy. Did you have any method of proof loading these? I hope you copied the angle relationship of the pick / handle hand grip from a production leashless tool. If it is off, the pick will bounce off the ice (something I noticed in my experimentations)

Have only hung off them on my home wall to test them. OK, I bounced a bit too. We'll have to wait for some ice to see if they really work. I am especially curious to see if they can take a lateral (out of plane) loading. Needless to say, I will stick to toproping and following with these initially. Hell, I don't lead mixed stuff anyway.

I eyeballed the handle angle; nothing more precise than that. Based on what I've heard from folks who tried BD's leashless tool introduced last season, I doubt mine could bounce off the ice any worse than those. Besides I've got a pretty good wrist flick and have been able to adjust to a wide range of tools, from 35 cm Cassin hammers, to Quarks and Aztars, to BD's swing-heavy monsters.

Forums : Archive : Used Gear / Great Deals

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook