Modeling a climbing rope?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

Oct 7, 2004, 6:07 AM
Post #1 of 18 (7060 views)
Shortcut

Modeling a climbing rope?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

There have been a lot of questions on the physics of climbing systems on this site. For example cam loading, forces involved in anchors with different angles, and such. I really dig these posts. Please keep them up.

I have heard arguments for the maximum loading that can occur during a climber fall. My friend even said to me “you do the math and tell me”. When I responded, “I don’t know how to model a climbing rope, do you”?

Now I like idealizations and know the “real” world has its nuances, like friction across biners in anchor analysis. I personally neglect it and say the force will be less (worst case scenario). My question is, does anyone know how I can model an idealized climbing rope, or can you point me to some literature. I really would like to do some analytical analysis of climbing systems and the rope portion of the system has got me stumped (I am board right now).

I am looking for a mathematical relation to model a climbing rope. I assume it is like a spring dampening system in car suspension (f = kx – bv, where f = rope generated force, x = rope stretch, and v = climber fall velocity). Is this correct and what would the coefficients k and b typically be (I believe k is dependent on the length of rope “paid out”). I apologize if this is too geeky for rc.com. I don’t mean to upset any of you none physics geeks, but its been bugging me for a while. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Ken

Partner eyecannon

Oct 7, 2004, 6:27 AM
Post #2 of 18 (7060 views)
Shortcut

Re: Modeling a climbing rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://toad.stack.nl/~stilgar/calc.php

overlord

Oct 7, 2004, 7:26 AM
Post #3 of 18 (7060 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yes, i model it as a spring, though one with much dampening (you dont get much up/down swinging when you fall)

Partner tisar

Oct 7, 2004, 8:10 AM
Post #4 of 18 (7060 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Have you seen the fall simulator on the petzl homepage (sport/technique/climbing/falling, I tried to get a direct link but it doesn't work out)?

Perhaps you'll be able to reprogramm it if it doesn't suit your needs.

- Daniel

robmcc

Oct 7, 2004, 3:05 PM
Post #5 of 18 (7060 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
yes, i model it as a spring, though one with much dampening (you dont get much up/down swinging when you fall)

It doesn't act precisely like one, though. If you're looking for a completely accurate answer, you need to do something different.

The spring "constant" for a rope is not constant.

Rob

sarcat

Oct 7, 2004, 3:09 PM
Post #6 of 18 (7060 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

And I was hoping to see a hot babe just wearing a rope strategically placed.

timstich

Oct 7, 2004, 3:22 PM
Post #7 of 18 (7060 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I thought this thread was about how to drape a rope over a naked model. In which case I was going to suggest taking a look at that snake on Natasha Kinski circa the '80s.

overlord

Oct 7, 2004, 3:22 PM
Post #8 of 18 (7060 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

It doesn't act precisely like one, though. If you're looking for a completely accurate answer, you need to do something different.

The spring "constant" for a rope is not constant.

Rob

yes, im aware of that.

thegreytradster

Oct 7, 2004, 3:25 PM
Post #9 of 18 (7060 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Yo'll have to find an early 80's Mountan magazine with the Mamut add for that. There was less rope with each issue. :twisted:

alpnclmbr1

Oct 7, 2004, 3:25 PM
Post #10 of 18 (7060 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

There actually was a picture in a climbing mag that came close to fitting that description. (on-sight, circa 95)

As far as the OP.

The best would be:

Rope systems analysis

http://www.losalamos.org/climb/xRopes.pdf

These are useful:

Beal Impact force
http://www.impact-force.info/anglais/impact.html

forcesinleadfalls.pdf
http://www.uoregon.edu/...orcesinleadfalls.pdf

Physics for Cavers: Ropes, Loads, and Energy
http://bstorage.com/...rlenergy/Default.htm

Oct 7, 2004, 6:45 PM
Post #11 of 18 (7060 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry about the misleading title. hehe too funny

Thank you all for the information. alpnclmbr1, that was exactly what I needed, www.losalamos.org/climb/xRopes.pdf, excelant site. Too bad about the climbers though. :(

Ken

sarcat

Oct 7, 2004, 7:08 PM
Post #12 of 18 (7060 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I moved to Abuqurque in the summer of '96. You even mentioned climbing to anyone and they all looked at you like deer in the headlights about your intelligence. I never really knew what happened in the Sandias. I was a n00b at the time and it all went over my head.

Now I understand.

Thanks for the link.

Partner eyecannon

Oct 7, 2004, 9:20 PM
Post #13 of 18 (7060 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Shoot, you didn't like my link? :(

dpurf

Oct 7, 2004, 9:27 PM
Post #14 of 18 (7060 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

go to this site http://www.coreyography.com/

enter into it

click on the B&W and go to the 4th picture

That is how you model a climbing rope :shock: :shock: :D

That is for you Tim :wink:

wlderdude

Oct 7, 2004, 9:50 PM
Post #15 of 18 (7060 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Are you looking to model the DYNAMICS of rope?

Wow, that's pretty tough stuff. None of that stuff will be constant.

Remeber the mechanisms for extenssion. The basic poisson effect thing you get when you pull on anything can be modeled linearly. However, modeling the twisted bundles untwisting under tenssion (the primary contributor) will be tough. A static rope would be much easier.

It may very well be that the b value is so high, the system is overdamped to the point that a simple linear model is as good as a proper one. You will need to take into account the sheath geopetry if you play with b.

On the other hand, it is pretty common to bounce on a long fall. That would be an underdamped system.

Sorry, I probably just confused you more. I know I am.

Partner rgold

Oct 7, 2004, 10:59 PM
Post #16 of 18 (7060 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The losalmos .pdf reference gives what might be called the naive model, in which friction in the lower biners in the system is not accounted for. The model has (I am assured by people who have done or seen tests) proved to be a good approximation of what happens if the leader falls on the first piece with relatively little friction of rope against rock and a static belay. (By the way, the fact that the "spring constant isn't constant" does not seem to be a significant issue, unless you try to calculate it from body weight elongation data, in which the damping effects of the rope construction for low loads appear to produce errors.)

Although there is little difficulty in extending the naive model to account for rope slipping through the belay device, lifting of the belayer, and the effect of screamers, these extensions are not available anywhere I know of as public documents.

A more sophisticated model can be found at here (Thanks to Dirtineye to pointing this out to me.) This one gives a picture of how friction in the system can raise the "naive" fall-factor to a considerably higher value and so engender higher forces than predicted by the naive model. One thing this tells us is that the naive model provides, in many situations, a "best case scenario" if the belay is, for some reason, static. However, unlike the naive model, this one requires a lot of "real life" data in order to even get started, and so is not really the kind of thing you're likely to play around with in your spare moments. The Beal site has a particular instance of the sophisticated model that can be manipulated pretty easily.

Oct 8, 2004, 5:56 AM
Post #17 of 18 (7060 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah I guess I spoke too soon. I didn't get to read the whole thing, because I was at work. Definetly looking to model rope dynamics, and yes its tough. Was hoping for a simplfied model but not as simple as a spring.

Oh and sorry eyecannon your link was good too. thanks

This last post looks more like it, but I haven't got much time right now. Hey, I am real glad you all posted, makes me feel better about geekin out on this stuff.

Ken

collegekid

Oct 8, 2004, 6:12 AM
Post #18 of 18 (7060 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not sure what sort of damping coefficient and spring constant a rope has. Those could be easily found with some (fun) experiments...

I think the most difficult part to model would be the inelastic range of loading (the most important part). Afterall, the whole point of the simulation would be to see the effects at the extremes, right?

Anyway, I've recently been learning how to program and do differential equation simulations with MATLAB. If the rope was super simple, i.e. only working in the elastic range where it could be treated as a spring/mass/damper system, it'd be pretty easy to model with matlab. You could even have animations associated with the model, so you could watch the effects of changing the mass, damping, and spring properties.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook