Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

slobmonster

Oct 8, 2004, 5:26 AM
Post #26 of 36 (2763 views)
Shortcut

Re: Best All around climber? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
....out of Americans I'd say Pete Takeda
Oh, good lord, please come to the states and meet these poor schmucks before lionizing them so. An ability to be published is hardly a metric for "best all around" anything... except, perhaps, a commentator or observer.

Here: in my head, I will visualize the names of the many, many excellent and unheralded climbers we've never read about in the press. Collectively, their resume is far more impressive, and inspiring, than any collection of dot.com buffoons.

monkeyarm

Oct 8, 2004, 5:27 AM
Post #27 of 36 (2763 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Alex Lowe once said, "The best climber in the world is the one who's having the most fun."

So get off this stupid competition which climber could do the most one finger pullups while shearing a sheep threads

If you have enough time to seriously think enough to make an argument for this then you need to find yourself a hobby cause climbing obviously isn't taking up enough of your time

kalcario

Oct 8, 2004, 5:46 AM
Post #28 of 36 (2763 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

*come on its not that freakin technical...dead or alive...who is the best? *

Your question makes no sense. What do you mean, "dead or alive, who is the best?" The worst living climber in the world pretty much shreds on the best dead one, wouldn't you say?

I think you mean, "who is the best climber who ever lived", which would be a non-dead guy named Messner who doesn't climb anymore.

dredsovrn

Oct 8, 2004, 10:58 AM
Post #29 of 36 (2763 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In all fairness though, I guess the best climber in the world right now is the one having the most fun.

Exactly what he said

What a bunch of crap. Let's face it. Climbing hard is often no fun at all while it is occuring.

paynec

Oct 8, 2004, 11:23 AM
Post #30 of 36 (2763 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

whatever, thats your opinion as this is mine. when im climbing really hard and it's starting to hurt thats when im having fun. as for the question there is no clear winner.

dynomaster

Oct 8, 2004, 11:56 AM
Post #31 of 36 (2763 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ME!!! ME!!!! ME!!!!

akicebum

Oct 8, 2004, 8:13 PM
Post #32 of 36 (2763 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Look in that post I wanted to draw some attention the full arena of climbing. i don't know who this guy "dresdorn" or whoever is but come on. I climb routes that make me want to sell all my gear the minute I get home. I have had months of rehab for injuries I have incurred climbing. Yeah, sometimes it sucks. Whatching a chockstone walk down a chimmney as your partner abseils off it sucks , body belays suck, when friends die climbing it sucks.

It is still fun to climb. I use the word fun to describe the cornicopia of emotions and relizations I have when I climb. We are free when we climb. Kurtyka calls apline style free style, do what you need to do to feel totally cut off from the rest of the world. Its adventure. The climbers I listed started as outstanding rockclimbers then they evolved.

I do think this postings a relative becuase the people we are discussing shaped the way we climb and think about climbing. It doesn't matter that one climber onsighted some 14a route while another only onsights 13d+ they are all awesome and have their own motivations. So back of on the combative nature of this discussion. We are all, in all likelyhood, discussing climbers with a better climbing record than ourselves. If we were talking this way about Nascar we would sound like a bunch of Jackasses, "Dale Earnhardt Jr.'d kick Dale Earnhardt's ass anyday of the week."
"Hell no, Dale Earnhardt is the best ever was er ever will be no question."

Seriously.

Partner iclimbtoo

Oct 8, 2004, 9:19 PM
Post #33 of 36 (2763 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my vote is for dingus...and lynn hill...and wolfgang gullich...and Anatoli Boukreev...and jt512...and rrradam...and curt...and yuji...and John Long...and Reinhold Messner...and Alex Lowe...oops, I went over the quota, didn't I?

prest_one

Oct 9, 2004, 10:31 AM
Post #34 of 36 (2763 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Katie Brown... Well actually maybe shes not the best rock climber but defently the hottest.

ralphwolf

Oct 9, 2004, 3:16 PM
Post #35 of 36 (2763 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

All around?
I'm still amazed by Yvon Chouinard.
No one had more impact (heh,heh,heh) on modern rock and ice technique and equipment. Helluva alpinist AND a Premier Capitalist.

Mark

adeptus

Oct 9, 2004, 5:12 PM
Post #36 of 36 (2763 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, of course WALTER BONATTI was the greatest trad-, aid-, big wall-, ice- and alpine climber the world has ever seen!!!!!!!!!
Glad that this silly discussion is finally over :D

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook