RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

thewyseclimber

Oct 14, 2004, 11:52 PM
Post #1 of 7 (955 views)
Shortcut

Helmet question
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Being the poor college student that I am, I have not yet made the purchase of a climbing-specific helmet. I currently have 2 helmets that I use when I climb, one being an old yellow Edelrid helmet that my summer employer retired (but that i snagged because it wasn't especially damaged, just old), and a skateboarding helmet.

I generally wear the skateboarding helmet when leading, and leave the climbing helmet for the belayer (that's another thing..how many belayers wear helmets? I've seen very few pictures documenting this on the site...). My thinking is this: the skateboard helmet would do just as well at protecting the head from impact on the rock in case of a fall as the climbing helmet, but the Edelrid would perform better in protecting the head against rockfall, which would more likely be encountered below the climber (whether on TR or sport, all that I currently have access to at this point).

Anybody care to contend this thinking, or offer helpful advice? How important is it that i invest in a new helmet? Anybody do anything similar?

usmc_2tothetop

Oct 15, 2004, 12:08 AM
Post #2 of 7 (955 views)
Shortcut

Re: Helmet question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Your skateboarding helmet should do just fine. They look kind of close to a climbing helmet anyways. The protection should be fine. It's probly best that your belayer wears a helmet. I recently went to Mt. Nemo up in Canada where it is all Limestone. The rock there looks so chunky and it just looks like it's waiting to fall off. Although when you grab it, it is solid. BUT while I was belaying my buddy some dumba*s kids up top started throwing rocks down. Even though they were baseball size or smaller at that speed they could possibly even kill someone. I had to get close to the rock wall. The belayers helmet is not only for they're safety, it is also for yours since your life is in one of they're hands. If you can find the recent thread about a guy who was approaching a wall, had his helmet off and bent over to tie his shoe. He took a bowling ball sized rock to the head. Unconcious and convulsing he was air-lifted out I believe and in critical condition. Petzl has a great helmet but last I checked I think they go at about $50 to $55. Good luck. Climb safe.

rendog

Oct 15, 2004, 12:13 AM
Post #3 of 7 (955 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

being the poor student....a good helmet would be a wise investment.

the other two helmets should do but personally I would only use them in a situation that dictaterd that I have no other choice.

I love my helmet. BD Half Dome. comfy, unobtrusive but a bit on the pricy side (I think 85$CDN)

just my .02$ worth

Partner coylec

Oct 15, 2004, 1:00 AM
Post #4 of 7 (955 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You're going to school. I know I'm paying close to 40k a year for my education, and a 70 dollar help is a wise decision to protect the 120k investment in my brain.

coylec

Partner tyify

Oct 15, 2004, 2:02 AM
Post #5 of 7 (955 views)
Shortcut

nthisthebesta moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

nthisthebesta moved this thread from General to Gear Heads.

korntera

Oct 15, 2004, 2:17 AM
Post #6 of 7 (955 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I bought a cassin helmet for like $35 american at climbmax in portland. I think there website is pageangear.com or something like that. I ALWAYS wear a helmet belaying. A rock from the climber is more likely to hit you than then a random rock hitting the climber. And if a rock hits you the climber is "off belay" and can't get down because you are dead so you both die. If you are my belayer i have you wear a helmet.

Partner euroford

Oct 15, 2004, 3:09 AM
Post #7 of 7 (955 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i've had others, but now use a petzl ecrin roc. the best around imo.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook