Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

mother_sheep

Oct 22, 2004, 2:31 PM
Post #1 of 87 (36738 views)
Shortcut

Accident in Eldorado Canyon 10/21/04 "Angus"
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

According to Fox 31 this am 2 hikers (they were climbers) ran into some trouble on Redgarden yesterday. One of the climbers took a leader fall and fell approx 50'. He died. It was a man and a minor. They have not released the names of the victims yet.

Partner jammer

Oct 22, 2004, 2:36 PM
Post #2 of 87 (36735 views)
Shortcut

Re: Accident in Eldorado Canyon 12/21/04 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Do you mean 10-21-04? HAve you had your coffee this morning??? :wink:

nthusiastj

Oct 22, 2004, 2:36 PM
Post #3 of 87 (36735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This happened in the future?
Seriously though. I'd be interested to hear what happened and to who. Hopefully it's no one we know.

mother_sheep

Oct 22, 2004, 2:37 PM
Post #4 of 87 (36735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Do you mean 10-21-04? HAve you had your coffee this morning??? :wink:

HAHA! OOps. I'll change it. I'm very, very tired.

colqueerio

Oct 22, 2004, 3:32 PM
Post #5 of 87 (36735 views)
Shortcut

Re: Accident in Eldorado Canyon 10/21/04 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

From Fox 31's website. The men are described, alternately, as hikers and climbers. Not clear what happened. Does anybody know? CAPS are Fox's, not mine.

EL DORADO CLIMBER RESCUE - posted 10.22.04
NEW THIS MORNING, ONE CLIMBER IS DEAD, AND ANOTHER IS RESCUED AFTER GETTING STRANDED ON A MOUNTAIN. AN OVERNIGHT SEARCH AND RESCUE EFFORT WRAPPED UP ABOUT TWO HOURS AGO IN EL DORADO CANYON...A POPULAR CLIMBING SPOT JUST SOUTHWEST OF BOULDER. NOT ONLY DID RESCUE CREWS HAVE TO WORK IN THE DARK, AND ON ROCKY TERRAIN, BUT IT'S VERY COLD. THE EFFORT BEGAN AT ABOUT 7 LAST NIGHT WHEN ONE OF TWO HIKERS TOOK A 50 FOOT FALL. THE TWO MALES..ONE AN ADULT, THE OTHER A MINOR WERE DOING A TECH CLIMB ON THE MOUNTAIN AND RAN INTO SOME PROBLEMS. SOMEONE HEARD THEM CALLING FOR HELP...AND THAT'S WHEN THE SEARCH BEGAN. RESCUE WORKER WERE ABLE TO BRING THE SURVIVING CLIMBER TO SAFETY -- BY BRINGING HIM BACK UP THE MOUNTAIN AND WALKING HIM OUT. THAT WAS ABOUT 11:30 LAST NIGHT... HE WAS COLD BUT HIS CONDITION OK. THE LEAD HIKER, WHO FELL, DIED ON THE MOUNTAIN DID NOT SURVIVE.

killclimbz

Oct 22, 2004, 3:42 PM
Post #6 of 87 (36735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Was anyone out there yesterday? Any idea what route they were on? It did get pretty freaking cold yesterday, and the winds were pretty high. Lots of debris and such does get blown off the cliffs in Eldo. I almost got taken out once years ago by such an incident.

nthusiastj

Oct 22, 2004, 5:41 PM
Post #7 of 87 (36735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We drove into Eldo yesterday after work and it was pretty chilly. We planned on climbing ONLY because we thought it was going to be nice. We bailed and hit the gym instead.

So, climber, hiker, technical hiking, lead hiking, climbing huh? Do people in Colorado have no idiea what the difference is between hiking and climbing?

Partner amber

Oct 22, 2004, 5:55 PM
Post #8 of 87 (36735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

there are mountains in eldo?

winglady

Oct 22, 2004, 9:02 PM
Post #9 of 87 (36735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Channel 9 News came up with this brilliant statement on their website:
"The two men were climbing on the rock wall garden when one of them fell about 50 feet."

:roll:

With the abundant number of climbers in the Denver & Boulder areas, you'd think the reporters might contact just one of them to help them understand a story before they print it or air it.

You'd think so, but obviously you'd be wrong!

matixa

Oct 22, 2004, 9:42 PM
Post #10 of 87 (36735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
From Fox 31's website. The men are described, alternately, as hikers and climbers. Not clear what happened. Does anybody know? CAPS are Fox's, not mine.

THE LEAD HIKER, WHO FELL, DIED ON THE MOUNTAIN DID NOT SURVIVE.

Not trying to belittle a tragic accident, but I am stuck by this quote from FOX.

shorty

Oct 22, 2004, 10:05 PM
Post #11 of 87 (36735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
you'd think the reporters might contact just one of them to help them understand a story before they print it or air it.
After pulling an extended stint in broadcasting, no, I don't expect reporters to dig into the facts. The climbing world is worth a few sound bites here and there, especially if we've done something that seems truly grand or truly stupid -- with the latter being more likely to be mentioned. Let's face it, we climbers are considered just a little loony by most of the population, who tend to reaffirm this opinion with each additional accident.

Injury and death are unfortunately potential dangers to our sport. But then again it's also dangerous to drive a car, walk down steps, eat Big Macs and junk food for 30 years, have unprotected sex, smoke cigarettes, get bitten by a mosquito, work as a soldier or contractor in Iraq, and on and on.

I'm not belittling the loss of friends and family in this accident -- I've been on scene for too many accidents and attended too many funerals not to understand the grief we experience after a accident. With a little luck, all the facts may eventually flow down through the mainstream media. Once this occurs, we can offer our support for the survivors and try to learn how to keep ourselves out of a similar situation.

csoles

Oct 22, 2004, 10:17 PM
Post #12 of 87 (36735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's amazing that our so-called "local newspaper" still has nothing about this on their web site. So far, the only thing I've seen is a brief mention from RMR that the leader who died was on Anthill Direct and the belayer was stranded.

There was also a girl who took a 60-foot slide after deciding to back off a solo of the First Flatiron. Busy night for RMR. Details on the Sheriff's web site.

Partner pt

Oct 23, 2004, 2:10 PM
Post #13 of 87 (36735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is a terrible tragedy for the family and for the climbing community.

I just read in the Denver Post that the climber was on Ant Hill Direct (5.9) on Red Garden Wall. Evidently he took a long leader fall. This climb does have some longer run out sections.

They also gave the climbers name:

Alexander McInnes. He was 39 years old. My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Peace

Jeff

el_capitan

Oct 23, 2004, 3:33 PM
Post #14 of 87 (36735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm in a bit of a shock as I write this and I don't know if I really should and I hope I don't offend anyone but I wanted to say a few things because a million things are running through my mind. I knew both of the climbers and have climbed with them recently. The climber that died, his real name was Alexander McInnes but he went by Angus and he has been on the front range climbing partner thread, thats where I actually met him a few months ago. His screen name was oldmanonarock. The other climber I only met once climbing with Angus but from what I know he just moved to the states from Russia and he was just a kid, 18 or so. I found out in a terrible way last night when I actually called Angus to see if he wanted to climb this weekend and the phone was answered by his girlfriend who I have never met. We talked briefly and she didn't really have any more information then what was released.

The reasons I'm writing all this is to say that Angus was a very safe climber. I don't believe that he was in over his head because we have climbed together in Eldo on similar routes. He wasn't some climber who was inexperienced and was stupid. I believe that it was truly just a horrible incident that didn't happen by bad judgement. And in thelast few months that I have gotten to know Angus, he was also a good person. He talked about his son, who he was obviously proud of and his girlfriend who he adored. I ask that your thoughts and prayers go out to those who are affected. I am trying to get more information but with little luck. If anyone has any more information or were there climbing that day could you please send me a PM so I could forward it to his family?

Please be safe.

Partner nextascent

Oct 23, 2004, 4:27 PM
Post #15 of 87 (36735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll second el_capitans comments after climbing with Angus several times at Eldo. Angus was genuine...I don't know how else to put it. He only said what he felt...and usually in a colorful way that had you grinning. His humor was contagious. The first time I climbed with Angus I was somewhat overwhelmed by his generousity...but later I came to know that it was just who he was. el_capitan mentioned that the other climber had just moved from Russia...I met their entire family on a day trip to eldo once. Angus had taken the "american host" role to another level: inviting them to his home for dinner, employing the sons til they got on their feet, taking them climbing. He even showed the parents how to climb. My heart breaks for Angus' family and for Kirills family. I don't claim that I knew him long...but it was easy to know him well very fast. Angus was "stand up" (that's how he referred to his pop). I don't know what else to say...if you pray, pray for his family (father, son, girlfriend) and his extended family (Kirill, Alexey, Nina and Vlad). If you don't pray, just do an "Angus" today...share your smile.

angus21

Oct 23, 2004, 5:17 PM
Post #16 of 87 (36735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello All,
This is Brittney, Angus's stepdaughter (not officially but nevertheless he was going to marry my mother). First I would like to say thank you to all the nice words spoken about Angus, he was truly an amazing man. For those of you who didn't know Angus he was an off-the-wall type, loved to say the f-word, and had the biggest heart. He hated to shower and cut his hair and could usually be spotted smoking a cigarette and drinking his eighth double latte of the day. Angus was the type of person who didn't care about money, having a nice house, or living the way that society thought he should, he was just happy being a free spirit and embarking on new adventures. He always made me laugh and always had wise words that were usually freckled with sarcasm. Angus was a bit of a wild man, always crashing and rolling the go-cart or taking corners so fast that he would blow out the tires. Yet he was also the one who would bring home people who were struggling and sometimes homeless just help out how he could, even if they were strangers.
The greatest thing, for me, though was how he loved my mother. He loved her unconditionally, to him she was perfect just the way she is. And in many ways he set our family free. He showed us how to have screamin-good time, laugh at life, and that what really matter was just enjoying each moment. I am so thankful that he was in our lives and I will always look up to him. I miss him so much.
As far as I know A.*(I am not printing his name because I don't know if he would be ok with that), our wonderful friend, was on belay and Angus was on lead. They were on the 4th pitch and couldn't find the route so Angus traversed left to get to a crack so they could get down safely. When he was about 10 feet from the bolts he fell. A.* felt a big tug but he was around the corner and couldn't see him, so A.* tied the rope onto a rock and tried to get to him meanwhile calling his name and trying to reach him on the walkie talkies. He couldn't see or get to him, so he slowly lowered him down until he could feel that Angus had reached the bottom. He then started calling for help, two climbers called the police. Rescuers said that Angus was pretty tangled up in his gear when they found him. The coraner is unsure how he died exactly. He was knocked unconscious during the fall but none of his injuries were lethal, the coraner is still trying to piece it together.
For anyone who knew Angus, we will be holding a memorial service at my mothers house on Sunday Oct. 31, 2004, in the afternoon. For directions please call Angus's cell phone 720-434-3169.
Also Angus has a 15yr old son, whom we will be setting up a trust fund for where people can donate to.

"they will see us waving from such great heights, come down, they'll say. But everything looks perfect from far away, come down now, but we'll stay." -Iron and Wine, song title Such Great Heights, on the Garden State Soundtrack.
Also I would like to post a picture if someone could tell me how.
Thank you, Brittney

PS: My wonderful Russian Friends: I love you and we are thankful for your friendship. Angus was so thrilled to go climbing with you.

zozo

Oct 23, 2004, 5:50 PM
Post #17 of 87 (36735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Brittney,

Very touching tribute, I didnt know Angus although we had pm'ed a few times about getting together in Eldo. I was very shocked and saddened to hear this. My thoughts are with you and your family today.

Dave

killclimbz

Oct 23, 2004, 6:03 PM
Post #18 of 87 (36735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am so sorry to hear it was someone from this site. If you climb long enough, you are eventually going to know someone that dies from this sport.

My condolences to friends and family.

colqueerio

Oct 23, 2004, 6:05 PM
Post #19 of 87 (36735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm very sorry to hear about Angus' death. I didn't know him, but nothing but good thoughts and energy go out to his family, friends, rc.com buddies and everyone who ever shared a rope with him during his life. This is sad, sad news indeed.

Partner amber

Oct 23, 2004, 6:15 PM
Post #20 of 87 (36735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Brittany, Thanks for the wonderful tribute to Angus. Something you said really touched me -

In reply to:
The greatest thing, for me, though was how he loved my mother. He loved her unconditionally, to him she was perfect just the way she is. And in many ways he set our family free. He showed us how to have screamin-good time, laugh at life, and that what really matter was just enjoying each moment. I am so thankful that he was in our lives and I will always look up to him. I miss him so much.

I've met such people in my life, and they forever altered my path. Although I didnt know Angus personally, it saddens me deeply to know that such a person is no longer with us.

My condolences to you and your family. If there's anything at all that I (or any of us) can do, please let us know.

All the best,
amber

gblauer

Oct 23, 2004, 7:21 PM
Post #21 of 87 (36735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Brittany, My condolences to you and your family. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Gail

bustinmins

Oct 23, 2004, 7:29 PM
Post #22 of 87 (36735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I didn't know Angus that well but we had sent messages back and forth a couple of times. However, I feel that I know him better from the affection other people shared for him. They described him as always helpful, fun and encouraging. A man who would help out his fellow man whether it be with the shirt off of his back or taking him up a climb. Angus was a man that lived life rather than watching it pass him by. Friends I cannot and will not grieve for such a man. He lived his life the way it should be lived. I think Arnaud Desjardins said it best when he said:

"Daring to live means daring to die at any moment but also means daring to be born."

May peace, love and compassion surround the friends and family of this great man.

In Celebration of his life,

James Durden

matixa

Oct 23, 2004, 7:49 PM
Post #23 of 87 (36735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Brittney,

My heartfelt condolenses to you, your family and friends. As someone else mentioned, what a nice tribute to Angus.

Take care........my (and I'm sure many others) thoughts are with you.

Dana

hardmanknott

Oct 23, 2004, 8:07 PM
Post #24 of 87 (36735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Brittney,

Check your PM Inbox. (link at very top of page)

Use that e-mail address to send the pic, so I can link it to this thread.

Dave

mistertyler

Oct 23, 2004, 8:29 PM
Post #25 of 87 (36735 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sincere condolences to the family, friends, and everyone involved -

With regard to his injuries and cause of death, it was mentioned that he was knocked unconscious in the fall. Has harness hang syndrome been ruled out as a possibility?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook