Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

pheenixx

Oct 28, 2004, 2:39 AM
Post #26 of 35 (2563 views)
Shortcut

Re: Ouray for beginners [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
attention reno, climbsomething, sheep-girl, pheenix, sharpie.

if you come a week (or a few days) early. i will be there climbing with my friend abbott and others, and then leaving about the time all the crowds arrive. we will be climbing non-fuggin-stop so it will be easy to find us.
we have extra ice tools and are willing to lend them to little people who live in un-godly hot climates surrounded by thousands of old people in RV's.

i would love to climb with you all.

That's mighty neighborly of you elvislegs. Thanks.. :D I look forward to meeting / climbing / hanging with ya whatever.

In reply to:
I WANNA KLIMB ICE WITH SEAN!!!! I'll flail like a total gumby. I'll be like, wah, my toes are cold and my snot is frozen and take dammit take!!!!!11 It'll be rad.

Not sure what SEAN you mean but I'm klimbin' with him Sunday... :D Will you come and take pictures..? (I noticed your're a RAD photog Hill) I'll let you borrow my x-tra set of mono-points for a day or I'll buy you film, a beer, 3 beers whatever....u-name it....I'll introduce you... :lol:

pheenixx

Oct 28, 2004, 2:48 AM
Post #27 of 35 (2563 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
....(the partners I am going with have a single set of tools, so I can't borrow). So, should I buy tools before I go or should I/can I rent tools once I get there? I am almost certain that I will use the tools again (even if I dislike waterfall ice, I have plans for some alpine ice this spring). Thanks.

Why can't you borrow your "partners" tools..?? If you are all 3 climbing together, only the person climbing needs the tools. Or you can borrow a free pair for the day in Ouray then if you pick up another rope + belayer, 2 people can be climbing at the same time (different routes of course). With alpine ice - you may want different tools. Don't buy unless your sure -- it's a lot of $$. WI tools tend to be more curved/angled for x-treme vertical ascents.

timd

Oct 28, 2004, 4:43 AM
Post #28 of 35 (2563 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

An RC.com party would be pretty sweet. but the question is, how would we know who everyone is in order to get together to climb? Any suggestions?
I plan on being there Friday-Sunday.

anykineclimb

Oct 28, 2004, 4:51 AM
Post #29 of 35 (2563 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OK everyone from rc.com wear a fleece jacket, a BLACK one. so we can identify each other.

But seriously, theres a thread in the gatherings section on a Ouray get together.

I'd love to meet and climb with you crazy peeps.

I'm thinking on being there thursday to saturday

sharpie

Oct 28, 2004, 7:01 PM
Post #30 of 35 (2563 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...iewtopic.php?t=48602

zozo

Oct 28, 2004, 7:07 PM
Post #31 of 35 (2563 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just about everyone going from the springs has never ice climbed before. It would be fun to get a group of ice noobies together. We can all suck at the same time!!

reno

Oct 28, 2004, 7:27 PM
Post #32 of 35 (2563 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
So, should I buy tools before I go or should I/can I rent tools once I get there? I am almost certain that I will use the tools again (even if I dislike waterfall ice, I have plans for some alpine ice this spring). Thanks.

Do not buy tools until you've had a chance to climb with them.

I was looking to buy some ice tools last year. Went to the REI in Denver, hefted a few pairs, thought I liked the BD's the best, but didn't care for the Trango Madame Hooks.

Went to Ouray, climbed with the same BD tools, and didn't like them at all. On the contrary... couldn't stand 'em. On the other hand, I climbed with the Madam Hooks, and I loved 'em.

Tools feel different. They plant different, they swing different, they pull different. They're different. So until you climb with them, don't buy.

You'll have plenty of options to sample in Ouray. Heck, you can climb with 3 different sets a day for 3 days straight and not try them all.

Patience, grasshoppah.

claramie

Oct 28, 2004, 7:54 PM
Post #33 of 35 (2563 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Form an AZ contingent to go up to Ouray?... I'd be down for that if the timing works out. I very well could be free in January. Please keep me in the loop on this.

Clayton

pheenixx

Oct 28, 2004, 8:40 PM
Post #34 of 35 (2563 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
An RC.com party would be pretty sweet. but the question is, how would we know who everyone is in order to get together to climb? Any suggestions?

In reply to:
OK everyone from rc.com wear a fleece jacket, a BLACK one. so we can identify each other.

...and who won't be wearing black..?? :?

I won't and have been trying to find other colors in Ice Wear (which now exist). I'm bored with looking like city-folk or working in a morg.

Got another idea....I have a Rockclimbing.Com sticker and it looks like the perfect pattern to make some sort of *Flags* or *Banners*. Does anyone have access to print a few on some fabric or plastic water-proof fabric..?? We could cut and attach them to a pole and stick into the ice where we are climbing... comments..?? :P

sharpie

Oct 28, 2004, 8:48 PM
Post #35 of 35 (2563 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How about moving this conversation over to the Ice Fest thread...that way everyone from the site that is going can be in on the skinny...Ouray is a GREAT place for beginners...Come on join the fun over here:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...iewtopic.php?t=48602

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook