Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

joshy8200

Oct 29, 2004, 5:31 PM
Post #26 of 30 (2520 views)
Shortcut

Re: Best crags in the south [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ohh...another website you might want to check for more information on NC climbing would be carolinaclimbers.org. You can get more input from locals on there.

superdiamonddave

Oct 29, 2004, 8:05 PM
Post #27 of 30 (2520 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah....now that's what I'm talking about! See those sweet horizontal incut jugs? That's what I am looking for, cause over here they all go straight up! What's the deal with pro in general; runout, bomber, sketchy? And anyone know what guidebooks I should get my mitts on? One's that cover the classics at a number of different crags would probably be fine. Once I get an idea of rocktype and quality things will become pretty clear. And what about Arkansas? Just read a review of Sam's and that place looks sick. And if any of y'all ever come out this way to climb and need anything pm me. Yose, Bishop and Josh are just a few hours from my humble little abode.
A four star route in Arkansas would have to be "Right to Flight" aka "The Nose". It is located at Mt. Magazine, Ark and is a 5.9+ overhanging all trad jug fest with horizontal cutters. A definate "must do" and one of my favorite routes...You'll love the diving board!

I believe there are pics of rrrAdam climbing it in the Arkansas section of RC.Com.

Partner j_ung

Oct 29, 2004, 9:25 PM
Post #28 of 30 (2520 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What's the deal with pro in general; runout, bomber, sketchy? And anyone know what guidebooks I should get my mitts on?

Dear beta whore :P, most of the steep routes in NC are pretty well-protected. All those incut letterbox slots eat cams greedily! Check out Shull and Lambert's select guide.

http://www.mountaineersbooks.org/searchproducts.cfm

BTW, what time of year are you headed out here? That does make a difference.

kaylinr

Oct 29, 2004, 9:53 PM
Post #29 of 30 (2520 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just thought I'd throw another vote in for Horseshoe Canyon if you come through Arkansas. Miles of beautiful bomber sandstone cliffs. $5 a day to climb, and so worth it. I think they have somewhere in the vicinity of 300 bolted routes with some good trad cracks in between. 5.6 to 5.13 so something there will challenge you. And when its all said and done you can stay in a cabin onsite and relax in the hot tub, or drive 3 miles down the road and camp on the buffalo river.

Kaylin R.

blindfrogguy

Oct 30, 2004, 5:02 PM
Post #30 of 30 (2520 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I MUST put a vote in for Sams Throne as well as Cave Creek, if you're going to be in the Buffalo River area. Both places cost 5 dollars less than HCR. :lol:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - South

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook