Forums: Climbing Partners: US - Mountain States:
Front Range Snow Sliders Backcountry Thread
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - Mountain States

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 23 Next page Last page  View All

wannabe

Nov 19, 2004, 5:07 PM
Post #126 of 568 (49554 views)
Shortcut

Re: Front Range Snow Sliders Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I found the moon rise/set table. Here's a link-pretty cool info. For Nov 26th
moon rise 1622, moon set 0658.

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/cgi-bin/aa_rstablew.pl

shorty

Nov 19, 2004, 6:03 PM
Post #127 of 568 (49554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For those of us who like our heels locked down at all times, Colorado Ski & Golf / Boulder Ski Deals is running their demo days this weekend at Loveland. It's a good chance to try this year's toys for real, rather than just relying on magazine reviews and word of mouth.

crazyfingers

Nov 19, 2004, 7:10 PM
Post #128 of 568 (49554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
You guys have any good recommendations on snow shoes? I am getting some REI bucks for xmas...

KT

What's your primary use for them and how much do you weigh?

I'll check wannabe's thread thanks for the tip... primay use: shoeing in for freshies on back country pow and getting the huskies out for their snow fix.
I'm 6'7" and weigh ~210

KT

shorty

Nov 19, 2004, 7:34 PM
Post #129 of 568 (49554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Shorty, is registration on the mountain or does it have to be taken care of in the Front Range?
Either way, but the process can be a little slow at Loveland.
In reply to:
Oh, wait, I can pretty much demo anything I want at Winter Park any time I want.
True, but does the WP parking lot have 15 to 20 vans from most of the major brands loaded up with multiple ski models and sizes? Can you try anything from race stock slalom & GS to all mountain carvers to mid-fats to powder boards? Can you try a dozen different pairs of boards in one day? (My personal record is 14 pairs over 26 runs -- plus a couple of runs on my own equipment.)

Neener neener (in return).

killclimbz

Nov 21, 2004, 8:16 PM
Post #130 of 568 (49554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well Friday and Saturday were great at Berthoud. Managed to get up on Russell and drop the chutes on the North Side. Nice big lines and great snow. No Name peak is in and would be worth a trip. Unfortunately the guys I was with did not have any avy gear or knowledge and No Name was definitely a little more suspect than the Russell chutes. It was snowing pretty good at the pass when I left, but from looking around at the ski area reports I would be suprised if the pass got more than 4".
Speaking of snow Wolf Creek got 29 inches!!! Unbelievable. Now I am thinking it would be nice to get a backcountry day there on Friday. Monarch got 6 inches, and they may get more, but geez that is a lot of snow in 24 hours. Wannabe, you'll have to give us the Monarch report, but I am starting to think of ways to get down to Wolf Creek. Anyone in Alamosa?

climbs4fun

Nov 22, 2004, 3:46 AM
Post #131 of 568 (49554 views)
Shortcut

climbs4fun moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climbs4fun moved this thread from US - Mountain States to Community.

killclimbz

Nov 22, 2004, 3:29 PM
Post #132 of 568 (49554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok, I am waiting for reports from Wannabe on Monarch, though I have to say that it doesn't look like it's the place to go yet. I am out on the moonlight ride for Friday. For one, I am going out all day that day and the second reason is that I am working the next day at the Wildy. Kind of forgot about that.
Anyhow, I am starting to lean towards Berthoud Pass for Friday if anyone is interested. No Name peak is in and if it's clear, I want to try to do it. It's one of the best descents around. Anyone interested?

wannabe

Nov 22, 2004, 6:34 PM
Post #133 of 568 (49554 views)
Shortcut

Re: climbs4fun moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi peeps, I have to report the snow conditions at Monarch are not as good as I would like. There is about 6in on top of a thin base. While there are spots that are skiable, I don't think it is worth a trip at this point. The turnout before the summit offers some of the best snow, several feet in spots. The West side is still pretty thin. :?

So what's happening this weekend? Anyone want to join me Fri. if the weather is good?

killclimbz

Nov 22, 2004, 8:45 PM
Post #134 of 568 (49554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hi peeps, I have to report the snow conditions at Monarch are not as good as I would like. There is about 6in on top of a thin base. While there are spots that are skiable, I don't think it is worth a trip at this point. The turnout before the summit offers some of the best snow, several feet in spots. The West side is still pretty thin. :?

So what's happening this weekend? Anyone want to join me Fri. if the weather is good?

Hey Vince, thanks for the update. I was starting to suspect that would be the case. Maybe the next storm system will bring a little more snow up north. Monarch usually gets a good dumping, only second to Wolf Creek. Did I mention Wolf Creek got 29 freaking inches!!!??? Anyway, I'm out for the moonlight thing, but I do want to get in on that, maybe the next time around. It would be blast to hike up to some of the big chutes and get some turns on those. I can think of a great moonlight tour on the North Side of Current creek to do once the base comes in. It would give us two descents with minimal trees and maximun exposure to the moons light. Powder should be good there too.

wannabe

Nov 23, 2004, 4:42 PM
Post #135 of 568 (49554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Hey Vince, thanks for the update. I was starting to suspect that would be the case. Maybe the next storm system will bring a little more snow up north. Monarch usually gets a good dumping, only second to Wolf Creek. Did I mention Wolf Creek got 29 freaking inches!!!??? Anyway, I'm out for the moonlight thing, but I do want to get in on that, maybe the next time around. It would be blast to hike up to some of the big chutes and get some turns on those. I can think of a great moonlight tour on the North Side of Current creek to do once the base comes in. It would give us two descents with minimal trees and maximun exposure to the moons light. Powder should be good there too.

Sounds good, I'm also looking for partners on the 1st-6th of Dec. I have to take a few days off before the end of the year or I will loose them.

killclimbz

Nov 23, 2004, 7:01 PM
Post #136 of 568 (49554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Sounds good, I'm also looking for partners on the 1st-6th of Dec. I have to take a few days off before the end of the year or I will loose them.

I'm off Tuesdays and Fridays. Let me know if you want to take one of those days off to get out. I'll be happy to be your date. :shock:

wannabe

Nov 24, 2004, 3:02 PM
Post #137 of 568 (49554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok honey :shock: , I have Fri the 3rd off. I gots me a snow date.

killclimbz

Nov 24, 2004, 3:57 PM
Post #138 of 568 (49554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Ok honey :shock: , I have Fri the 3rd off. I gots me a snow date.

It's a date!

killclimbz

Nov 24, 2004, 4:36 PM
Post #139 of 568 (49552 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
OMF God, I love men who are in touch with their feminine sides, but this is scaring me! :lol:

Care to make it a threesome? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

killclimbz

Nov 24, 2004, 5:04 PM
Post #140 of 568 (49552 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
OMF God, I love men who are in touch with their feminine sides, but this is scaring me! :lol:

Care to make it a threesome? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sure! My place or yours?!?!? :shock:
Yours....You are in the mountains already.... :wink:

wannabe

Nov 24, 2004, 5:17 PM
Post #141 of 568 (49552 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You "guys" are killing me! :D :D :D :shock:

killclimbz

Nov 24, 2004, 6:19 PM
Post #142 of 568 (49552 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, I just caught a trip report on Teton Gravity on Guanella pass. I am guessing that this was for Geneva Basin. Anyone know how much of a pain in the arse it is to get back there with a car right now? If I remember correctly it's a dirt road not maintained by cdot.

timstich

Nov 25, 2004, 1:45 AM
Post #143 of 568 (49552 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Was this thread moved to Community for a while, or did I imagine that? Seriously, I have not been partaking of the doob. In any case, glad it is here again.

beckerw

Nov 25, 2004, 3:00 AM
Post #144 of 568 (49552 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

looked on CDOT. i'm a dummy though....which road goes to guanella? Cameron had decent snow yesterday and was filling in around diamond peaks. are you still thinking berthoud on fri. gary?

killclimbz

Nov 25, 2004, 3:48 PM
Post #145 of 568 (49552 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, I am still thinking Berthoud. Guanella is that pass that goes from Georgetown over to 285. Definitely worth a trip. I need to get up to Cameron also.

beckerw

Nov 28, 2004, 4:22 AM
Post #146 of 568 (49552 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

anyone...my girlfriend and i were at berthoud this sat 11/27. we came down mines 2 and she lost her snowshoes on the descent. if anyone found/finds them please give me a holler. they were yellow Atlas showshoes with her name on them.

cheers

killclimbz

Nov 28, 2004, 3:41 PM
Post #147 of 568 (49552 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry to hear about the snowshoes. Sounds like if you don't find 'em you're going to be bootpacking when Shanna is around. :shock:
How was Mines 2? That's one of the more avy prone chutes around. Hope you guys dug before dropping that. It's also a great run.
It absolutely dumped on Friday it must've been good. For anyone that is interested, I will be heading back up on Tuesday. Anyone is welcome to join. Probably going to hit Berthoud Pass, but Cameron or Wood Creek or options.

killclimbz

Nov 28, 2004, 3:46 PM
Post #148 of 568 (49552 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just checked the Monarch ski are, they got 25" in the last 48 hrs :P . Sounds like the Monarch pass I know. Could be pretty good there. Thinking that Monarch Pass is a distinct possibility on Tuesday. Vince, do you think that would give the area enough coverage?

cologman

Nov 28, 2004, 4:37 PM
Post #149 of 568 (49552 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Monarch is in good shape. My daughter teaches there and has been there for the past several days and says the skiing is good. Although the area isn't 100% open no area is. she says she expects them to open several of the black diamond runs today. :D They are reporting 17" in the last 24, appears to be about the best new fall in the state.

killclimbz

Nov 28, 2004, 4:42 PM
Post #150 of 568 (49552 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Monarch is in good shape. My daughter teaches there and has been there for the past several days and says the skiing is good. Although the area isn't 100% open no area is. she says she expects them to open several of the black diamond runs today. :D

Wolf Creek is 100% open, but I'm not going down there...yet. Thanks for the update 8^) . I am guessing that the BC down there could be pretty sweet by Tuesday.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 23 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - Mountain States

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook