Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

beowulf

Dec 6, 2004, 5:29 PM
Post #76 of 94 (9945 views)
Shortcut

Re: Questions for you Noobs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Well I just started climbing. I mostly climb to stay in shape and because I find climbing exciting. It feels good to be hanging by my finger tips 50 ft up. Its more of a perceived risk, then an actual risk. But I like it anyway. Another reason is the people that I climb with. They are my type of people. Risk takers. People willing to push the boundries of what they can do physically. I am not a sit around and watch TV all day kind of person.

wannabearockclimber1492

Dec 7, 2004, 12:51 AM
Post #77 of 94 (9945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i havn't started rock climbing yet and i want to. 1st tho, mi parents say i have 2 get sum questions answered. recently, mi friend asked me this question: wat do u climb? then he started listing things like v1.8 and stuff like that. My question is what was he talking about? :?:

declinebass

Dec 7, 2004, 1:26 AM
Post #78 of 94 (9945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gives mesomething to do and its outa the norm here in oklahoma

theflyingsquirrel

Dec 7, 2004, 1:58 AM
Post #79 of 94 (9945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ugh its good for you. i need to get in shape. its fun. my goals are to become a kick ass free soloist and trad man. can ya dig it?!

timmah

Dec 7, 2004, 3:11 AM
Post #80 of 94 (9945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Dingus,

In reply to:
Why are you taking up climbing?
Not really sure - my reasons are always changing. I climbed my first TR route because I'd never done it before and had nothing else to do that Sunday. My reasons now oscillate between loving the movement, the places climbing takes me (both physically and mentally), the company it generates and the changes it brings about in me (again, physically and mentally).

In reply to:
What is your image of success? What sort of climber do you imagine yourself becoming in 5 years?
Success for me is on a number of levels. I do enjoy the more immediate success of sending a route, but what I really enjoy and aspire to maintain is the feeling of.. contentment (?) that I achieve after a few solid days of climbing. When this happens, fear dies away and is replaced by the most absolute and peaceful focus - a kind of forced meditation. What I really want to do is to find this place again and be able to stay there.

In reply to:
Do you think you will still be climbing a quarter century from now? What are you doing now to make sure you get to where ever you are going? Where are you going?
Can anybody really answer these questions? :) I can't. I hope I'll still be climbing, but a short while ago I wouldn't have ever imagined where I'd be now.

Cheers,
Tim

beowulf

Dec 7, 2004, 3:43 AM
Post #81 of 94 (9945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have friends that have been rock climbing for awhile. But the best place to begin is by going to a local indoor rock climbing gym. There you will be able to get all of your questions answered and instruction on climbing.

decorahhughes

Dec 7, 2004, 4:17 PM
Post #82 of 94 (9945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Figured I'd throw in my first ever posting.

Starting climbing in January of 2004. I work at a college in Northeast Iowa that happens to have a climbing wall. One of my student workers (I work in the IT department and help manage about 25 students) suggested I come down for a beginners night. Went down, climbed a bit, fell a lot, and made it up two of the five ropes. Pretty much hooked after that.

Got my wife hooked on it as well. She was deathly afraid of heights before beginning. Heck, she wouldn't even make it ten feet off the ground before she'd freak. Now she scrambles up that wall without a problem. She's probably more into climbing than me because she has a knee problem that has robbed her of running, something she really loved.

The quality of rock in this area is supposedly poor so I haven't had a chance to go outdoors yet. I will most definetly do it in Spring of 2005. We plan on going up to Prairie Walls in Rochester, MN more often since that gym has more routes than our little one at the college. Learning to lead climb in January as well. And for training purposes, we're building a small 10 foot wide, 12 foot high climbing wall in our garage.

Not only is it fun, but I consider it a good cross training. I've been a runner for 20+ years, have countless 5K/10K road races under my belt, two marathons (3:36 best), and two half marathons (1:34 best). Also do a lot of mountain biking in this hilly area.

There me go.

cdzz1

Dec 7, 2004, 4:42 PM
Post #83 of 94 (9945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I do it 'cause it's fun.
Otherwise... why bother?

juststrange

Dec 7, 2004, 5:32 PM
Post #84 of 94 (9945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am impulsive
What is your image of success?
Being reliable
What sort of climber do you imagine yourself becoming in 5 years?
MOre Powerful
Do you think you will still be climbing a quarter century from now?
Id actually have some money to do it then so hell yea
What are you doing now to make sure you get to where ever you are going? Introduce more people to the sport, train with friends
Where are you going? Up

qdiggety

Dec 7, 2004, 6:51 PM
Post #85 of 94 (9945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I started climbing in August. Some friends called and said I should show up for dinner and go climbing. I think they were trying to introduce me to a girl, but that didn't go anywhere. I showed up again the next week and have been climbing ever since. So far it's been all indoors, but when spring rolls around I'll be outside.

I've never been one to hang out at a weight room/gym and chant "Mongo like football." Consequently, when I tried rock climbing I was hooked. Totally different atmosphere and workout.

Being able to enjoy what I am doing.

I'd like to at least be doing trad and climbing the Grand Teton.

Of course, pending no major disasters or unforseen circumstances.

What are you doing now to make sure you get to where ever you are going?
Currently climbing indoor 3 times a week and reading all the books and magazines I can find.

Where are you going?
I have no idea where that is, but I'm sure I'll enjoy getting there.

alcyone

Dec 8, 2004, 4:29 AM
Post #86 of 94 (9945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm re-taking it up after a four year break. I initially started because my mom got me into it when I was younger, and the addiction never left.

I just want to keep learning. I'm fascinated by technique and the different styles of climbing, but I haven't decided which is the one for me yet, and I want to work on smoothing out my own technique.

Hopefully more graceful

I hope so

I'm trying a few different training methods and working on meeting some more experienced climbers. I ususally climb three times a week (indoors), and I read as much as I can find.

Where are you going? I'll find out when I get there.

ladybigguns

Dec 8, 2004, 4:40 AM
Post #87 of 94 (9945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

why did i start climbing? it seemed like a fun thing to do, and my significant other at the time was a climber, so i tagged along. And then i realized that this is something i LOVE doing. So i kept at it, and now that ex-significant other is no longer climbing and i have since sufficiently whipped his a$$...i think he realized i had him beat when i got pissed at his so called "thoughtful" christmas gift of victorias's secret underwear... i wanted some new quickdraws, dammit.

sorry, got a little off topic there..

i love everything about climbing. ive only been at it for about a year, but i love the thrill, the personal challenge, the vitality, the energy that it gives me, as well as all the new friends. Ive started expanding my climbing abilities... mainly i have stuck to sport and bouldering, but ive started ice climbing (well.. i will real ice climbing soon, 8 days to be exact, and not just dry tooling in the f-ing gym... ohio sucks) and i plan to do Mt Washington in January to get a little taste of mountaineering. Eventually i want to do big walls, but i guess i need to lead some trad first, huh? haha. were working on that one too.

goals... have fun, keep challenging myself, ultimately to be the best climber i can be.

jazzhoodlum

Dec 8, 2004, 6:03 AM
Post #88 of 94 (9945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yes, i'm a nub, only been at this seriously for 3 months
Well, i had some friends from Arkansas (i'm from jersey) who i work at a camp with over the summer, who were uber into it. i had done it once or twice before, but then come sept. i started really climbin alot, mostly at a nearby gym, although i been outside many a time. I mainly boulder, just cause it's easiest to just get out there and do.

I see myself bein where i am now in 5 years, diggin the sport, the people and advancing my skills, except out in cali and climbin outdoors alot more

My idea of success is having fun, if i can send v8's w00t (just sent my first v3) , otherwise, i just enjoy it. i go about every other day.

Yah, so i'm an addict officially, hooray for climbin :D

mkjwngoat

Dec 8, 2004, 7:08 AM
Post #89 of 94 (9945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Like i said before. I'm in it for the chicks. Chicken is delicious!

omegaclimb

Dec 12, 2004, 6:29 AM
Post #90 of 94 (9945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why are you taking up climbing? It's the most challenging personal sport there is.

What is your image of success? I have a list of climbs I want to do. Zodiac on el cap, devils towers. Big walls and tough bouldering problems. I will be succesful as long as I keep climbing harder routes.

What sort of climber do you imagine yourself becoming in 5 years? I would like to be able to do difficult, multipitch climbs.
Do you think you will still be climbing a quarter century from now? Without a doubt, um unless a schoolbus hits me head on.
What are you doing now to make sure you get to where ever you are going? Climb hard and as often as possible w/o overtraining
Where are you going? To sleep

healyje

Dec 12, 2004, 9:55 AM
Post #91 of 94 (9945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dingus,

Good job on this post...interesting.

ginger_ninja

Dec 12, 2004, 2:08 PM
Post #92 of 94 (9945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hi guys, looks like a good place for the first post.

climbing did nothing for me for years of my life. whenever i did it as part of an activity i got scared of heights, and dident see what the attraction was. then about 8 months ago i went of my own accord purely to meet up with the gf, and loved it. sadly, only ever really climbed in a gym environment, since im not old enough to go to places id like to climb, and cant afford gear like rope etc. i like it because there is somthing special about it that ive never found before in another sport

the guy that has the most fun, and pushes their physical limits as far as they can is the most successful

hopefully much better than i am now, out there on the rocks.

hard to say, but at the moment i hope i do.

keep going to the indoor wall twice a week, hopefully build up experience from mixing with other more experienced people.

Where are you going?
hopefully up

tlacey

Dec 13, 2004, 6:25 AM
Post #93 of 94 (9945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Written by Dingus in bold:

Hello dingus, awesome, tough, questions (hence, the long post).

These posts crack me up and I can relate: have a mini-spare too, scared of heights, got to get away from, or with, my son; inside work is a weak substitution for spending all my time outdoors, don’t like the gym much (walking, hiking, swimming, riding bike ok)…

Because I always did it, scrambling (down climbing is scary!) even when I didn’t know it: trees, hills, rocks, the roof, getting in trouble w/authority, hiking, exploring (let’s go have lunch on that small hill over there!)…

First got on ropes in 1993-96, lowered w/my son in the baby backpack, climbed in Northern AZ and loved it! Climbed inconsistently, had a hiatus for 6+ years, then my son joined the local Y team at our small climbing wall recently and wanted me to get involved (Belay slave! He loves it!)…

Being a newbie, knowing my limitations, safe, outside in beautiful places w/beautiful people; challenging my mental, physical and spiritual self (not always in that order); being a good mom, learning from my mistakes, paying the bills, good food & drink…

Same as above, getting better, leading easy trad and sport, still a belay slave, more feeling and knowledge about climbing, having extra equipment and a bomber rack; experiencing a summer traveling and climbing w/my son when he graduates from high school if he still wants to hang with mom (otherwise w/friends…five more years? free mom, partaaayyy)…

Who knows? Alive, mid-60’s, yeah, having the patience to help others along their path and having FUN! Hopefully, I will have gotten some alpine, ice and travels in…

Being a good mom, working hard, getting outdoors, climbing whenever I can, keeping the faith…

Where are you going?

Up, heaven, scrambling, narrow, one step (and mistake) at a time!

:D

Just curious you see. We hear all the time as to the motivations of seasoned veterans. How about the up and coming crowd... aren't these the motivations that really matter? I'd like to hear from some noobs and see what are some of the ingredients to a modern climber.

Cheers DMT

nuts_r_us

Jul 9, 2006, 2:09 PM
Post #94 of 94 (9945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I really liked this thread and was sorry Dingus removed his initial post. You can tell what he asked by reading what others have responded to. More responses out there? I thought it was a great question and enjoyed reading the answers.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook