Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Helmets and unsafe patterns of behavior (rant)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

gat

Dec 17, 2004, 8:33 PM
Post #76 of 149 (9647 views)
Shortcut

Re: Helmets and unsafe patterns of behavior (rant) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
This notion that the climber can be all knowing, all seeing, anticipating every mishap and preventing it is just ludicrous.

While it is not possible to be "all-knowing" it certainly is possible to avoid the situations and circumstances that Dan mentioned in his original post. (i.e avoiding bad rock, not climbing below other people, not pulling your rap rope while standing directly below, etc., etc.) And if you do these things, you will most assuredly be much safer than by merely strapping on a helmet. I don't even see how this is debatable.

Curt

It seems that the people going back and forth agree that 1. the most important piece of equipment is your head, 2. a helmet adds some, if very little, added safety margin.

The place where they differ is their willingness to go without the added safety margin that a helmet can provide. This thread has morphed into another "acceptable level of risk" argument, it's just disguised as a helmet debate.

curt

Dec 17, 2004, 9:39 PM
Post #77 of 149 (9647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
This notion that the climber can be all knowing, all seeing, anticipating every mishap and preventing it is just ludicrous.

While it is not possible to be "all-knowing" it certainly is possible to avoid the situations and circumstances that Dan mentioned in his original post. (i.e avoiding bad rock, not climbing below other people, not pulling your rap rope while standing directly below, etc., etc.) And if you do these things, you will most assuredly be much safer than by merely strapping on a helmet. I don't even see how this is debatable.

Curt

IT's not debatabale. Who is debating that is is good to tape precautions and be careful and avoid the bad situations that you can avoid?

But the drift of the thread had headed to a notion that any bad situation can be avoided, and that is not true. Even if it were true that every bad situation could be avoided, experienced climbers obviously do not avoid every bad situation, just read Accidents in NAM for proof. Even good climbers, safe climbers, screw up.

In your last post, you were doing great til you said that a helmet will only provide marginal safety if you take all the other precautions. I just don't believe that.

To me, the helmet provides no safety until you are in the crap situation, then, it provides a huge safety bonus. Your argument is similar to saying that if you are a very careful driver, you don't always need your seat belt, and you can choose the right time to wear it, and that it only provides marginal safety anyway, since you are taking all these other precautions.

I'm saying that you can take every precaution, and still something bad can happen, and if you don't have your helmet on when it does, you might not live to regret it.

I think what is not debateable is that you should be prudent, be aware of the climbing situation, and take precautions. Helmets are for when the s--- hits the fan, and you can never know when that will be, so I wear mine most of the time when I'm climbing.

One of the central points Dan is making, and that I agree with, is that you will not often get yourself into "the crap" situation, if you are being prudent. If you decide to knowingly put yourself in "the crap" situation by deciding to climb below other people, climb choss, climb ice, etc.--then by all means wear a helmet, because you will be somewhat safer. However, you will not be as safe as climbing under more prudent conditions, even without a helmet.

Curt

jcinco

Dec 17, 2004, 9:46 PM
Post #78 of 149 (9647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Thanks, but you only explained what happened in those situations, not why the climber was not at fault. In each case, it is clearly the climber (or belayer) who shares fault. ...

Yes, by all means, wear your helmet, but judgement and common sense are what provide the most safety.

Well it certainly isn't clear to me that they were at fault--and I was there!

The idea that one "shouldn't" fall in certain situations is not real clear. Sure experinced climbers understand and respond to "should not fall" situations but I have seen solid 5.11 leaders fall on 5.8. I have seen "tested" holds break. Come on there is lots of objective danger.

And of course, good judjement is most important--but wearing a helmet does not negate that--that's my point.

Since you brought it up, for those three cases you mentioned,

1) Climbing at a location where rockfall is likely
2) Belayer in line of rockfall, possibly not paying attention; climber standing on a loose hold.
3) Climber falling where he shouldn't; possibly inadequte protection for a traverse

You seem to want to absolve the climbers of any responsibility, but clearly they share some of the fault. With a little bit better judgement, even risk in situations of high objective hazard can be minimized.

I agree with your point that wearing a helmet doesn't negate having good judgement, but its difficult for me to then understand how you could dismiss the climbers' responsibility in your three original anecdotes.

tradmanclimbs

Dec 17, 2004, 9:52 PM
Post #79 of 149 (9647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the reason for so many responses that don't take into account the full meaning of the origional post was because the thing was too f$king long to get through. it was obvious from the first 500 words or so that its basic jist was that helmet wearers were wankers :roll: hence the various responses addressing that issue.

Partner cracklover

Dec 17, 2004, 9:53 PM
Post #80 of 149 (9647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fact: Lot's of helmet wearing folks just seem not to take as much care about rock-fall as people who came of age in climbing before helmets were on the scene.

For example, many of my climbing partners take no more care when they get to one of the pebble-covered ledges at the Gunks than they do at any other ledge. It is almost a guarantee that they will knock rocks off. Even if they're careful with their feet, they'll knock rocks off with the rope in the course of their rope-work.

Some of my older partners, however, have well developed skills and tactics to avoid knocking rocks off these ledges. Unfortunately, such skills seem to be dying out.

Alpine - good post. While I've never made idiotic statements like the quotes in your post, at times I have definitely been culpable of trusting my helmet more than it deserves. I appreciate the warning, and will take it to heart.

GO

eastvillage

Dec 17, 2004, 10:38 PM
Post #81 of 149 (9647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, monster rant. You are an angry mofo!
In the old days, 70's, I didn't wear a helmet, didn't worry, the crags were uncrowded.
Today at the Gunks and other crowded crags, legions of gym brained idiots prowl the cliff top and rap down all over the place without warning, knocking rocks down in the process. I've seen lowering/rapping scenarios that made my jaw drop. So mainly for this reason, I wear a helmet now.

Partner cracklover

Dec 17, 2004, 10:49 PM
Post #82 of 149 (9647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay, my response is long, since I'm referring to multiple points in the original (very long) post. Please bear with me, and feel free to respond to my points in multiple posts.

I'm a noob (having started six years ago, and having started in the gym), and I generally wear a helmet when lead climbing. So I figured I'm just the person you were addressing.

In reply to:
My biggest problem with the modern helmet crowd is that in practice, and among other things, it has replaced the DO NOT CLIMB UNDERNEATH OTHER PEOPLE rule.

I resemble that remark! Okay, so for weekend warriors like myself, how do you suggest I approach climbing at 3-8 pitch crags like Cannon, Whitehorse, Cathedral, Precipice, the Gunks, etc - all of which can, on a busy weekend, be as covered in climbers as a dropped lollipop with ants. Sure, I wait 'til the second has reached the next belay (rude not to) but that doesn't keep them from dropping shit on me as I lead up to their stance.

In reply to:
Lets see, which makes more sense? Wear a helmet in an effort to protect yourself from people dropping things on you or don't climb underneath the people in the first place?

Which makes more sense? Hmm, well if your objective is to absolutely avoid getting something dropped on you, then your choice is obvious. But if you wish to climb at one of the crags I mention above on the weekend, well, then you've got to play the odds.

In reply to:
So the newbie crowd has discarded the idea of not falling on easy routes...

This n00b is not guilty of that misperception. But then, I learned trad first, sport second - perhaps that has something to do with it.

In reply to:
...Discarded the rule of not climbing under other people.

See above.

In reply to:
Discarded the idea of learning how to follow before they start leading...

That's an interesting one. I did indeed only follow a couple routes before I started leading. I did a lot of TRing first. But I also kept to easy routes when I was on the sharp end, and took any opportunity to follow a more experienced leader - hell, I still do. But let's face it, unless you're young and cute (and preferably have breasts), getting a full-time mentor ain't so easy these days. What's your solution for today's would-be trad leader?

In reply to:
...Decided that dropping a rock on their partner, it isn't their fault...

No way. My fault 100%.

In reply to:
After all of that, they go out and buy a helmet and talk about how much safer they are because of it, and how anybody who doesn't wear a helmet must be stupid.

Yes, I bought one. Never told anyone else to do so, though. Still struggling though (as can be seen above) with the safety issues, though, so the purchase of said helmet did not cause my brain to turn off.

In reply to:
The hypocrisy that I see from the group as a whole, gets old. Particularly when reading these "I wear a helmet threads."

I don't care for them either, but most seem to be born out of people's first-hand experience with traumatic events. Most people tend to respond to such things more on an emotional level than a logical one.

In reply to:
Let's take Tahquitz and Suicide for example. The increase in rock fall hazard is way out of proportion to the increase in climber traffic. It was getting crowded on weekends 15 years ago. There wasn't the same rock fall madness that there is today. If anything, it was more common to come close to getting hit by a figure eight. (The sound of a figure eight pinging down the weeping wall is something I will never forget)
There was a definite correlation between the increase in the use of helmets and the increase in the need to wear a helmet. People seem to be getting the helmet message pretty good. On the other hand, they do not seem to be getting the message that it is possible to climb without sending every other rock down the cliff. From what I have seen people are getting worse at this every year and the rocks that they are sending down are getting larger as well.

Agree 100% I suspect the Gunks is very similar to Tahquitz in this regard. See my previous post for more thoughts on this subject.

In reply to:
I will not climb there on weekends anymore because I consider it an unreasonable and unnecessary risk. I climbed there for years without a helmet, I will still climb there mid-week without a helmet. The only rock fall that has ever hit me was small stuff from sudden thunder showers. If your of the opinion that wearing a helmet compensates for that additional risk, then I would have to say that you are deluding yourself.

Okay. So what do you say to climbers at the Gunks? Not safe at all on weekends? To me, this boils down to a previously unsolved problem: how much risk are you willing to assume? There's no one answer to this. All you can do is try to be honest with yourself about the real level of risks you are taking.

In reply to:
Bold and fearless is good to a degree. Getting killed by letting a gumby drop a rock on your head is stupid.

That's a strong statement. Do you think it is stupid to climb at any of the dozens of popular multi-pitch trad crags in the US on weekends?

In reply to:
I have seen a connection between wearing a helmet and taking lead falls. (particularly on 5.9's and under) The helmet crowd tends to forgo the idea of climbing within your limits. (Is anyone going to deny that the modern crew falls more often. Is anyone going to claim that is because falls are safe now?)

I can only speak for myself, but for me - here, you are wrong. I led traditional lines for two years before I began pushing myself at my limit regularly. With one exception, the only falls on trad routes I have ever taken have been on steep routes of 5.9 or harder.

In reply to:
I have also seen a correlation between wearing a helmet and letting the rope get behind your leg, and between helmets and taking stupid unsafe falls on the first two bolts of a sport climbs! People start leading earlier and with less experience and skill then was the case in the old days. Anyone want to make a case that this has improved safety.

No. But I disagree that people used to be more patient. Lot's of "old timers" I know did some pretty stupid stuff when they were first starting out.

In reply to:
For myself, I climb on choss all the time. I just make sure that it is steep enough that I am not going to drop anything on my belayer. Maple and the Potrero are great examples. Climb the steeper stuff and you are fine without a helmet. Climb the easier lower angle stuff and you are not fine even with a helmet.

Good tip.

I agree with all of your feeling about the quotes. One and all, they are ridiculous.

Regarding the rant about the climbing industry selling helmets, I think you're correct when you say:

In reply to:
People often climb underneath other people now. The climbing industry seems not see that as a problem, they like crowds and the fact that it gives them a good scenario to sell helmets. It is not in their best interest to emphasize that it is unsafe to climb underneath other people, it is in their interest to say buy this and it will make your unsafe decisions safer... (of course they would never phrase it that way)

But here's the rub - people are not going to stop climbing at popular multi-pitch crags on the weekend. Do you have any solutions for these people? If you don't, then the climbing industry is giving them a level of safety that you cannot.

In reply to:
Another bottom line is that people would actually be safer if they used a helmet in addition to the old guidelines instead of as a misguided and failed attempt at replacing them.

Naturally.

In reply to:
I pretty much consider it a fact that as a group, disregarding other factors, people that wear helmets do tend to be more accident prone.

Seems fair, but I don't know if it is actually true.

In reply to:
None of this should be taken as encouraging anyone not to wear a helmet.

No, of course not. But you have to admit, it does look a little like damning with faint praise. Anyway, my main problem with your otherwise fair rant is that it gives precious few answers for the weekend-warrior multi-pitch tradster, while suggesting that one of the tools in his arsenal is a crutch that will only get him into trouble.

GO

Partner pt

Dec 17, 2004, 10:50 PM
Post #83 of 149 (9647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been climbing for about 25 years now and I learned to avoid the situations that the OP was talking about. I have recently, in the past 5 years, started to wear a helmet because I want to and I feel it adds some additional margin of safety. I have not forgotton everything I've learned about avoidance and other safety measures just because I now wear a helmet. I don't ever think I can do something safely just because I have a helmet on my head. I think many of your arguments are based on faulty logic. You can think what you want about my climbing ability and my state of mind, but you will always find me with my helmet on.

dirtineye

Dec 18, 2004, 12:36 AM
Post #84 of 149 (9647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

First, it is common to see belayers standing well back from the wall at sport crags.
Just because it's common doesn't mean it's right. With a few exceptions, I guess (because there always are some) you don't want to be standing 15 feet back form the wall.

Well gee Dorothy, do tell! And I am sure that all offenders will read your post and stop standing so far back immediately.

By the way, nobody said it was right, in fact, I pointed out that it leads to trouble. Did you miss that part?

tradmanclimbs

Dec 18, 2004, 1:40 AM
Post #85 of 149 (9647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

keep it short, to the poiint , interesting and with a bit of humor. the full page responses suck about as bad as the origional childish rant :roll:

curt

Dec 18, 2004, 1:42 AM
Post #86 of 149 (9647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

First, it is common to see belayers standing well back from the wall at sport crags.
Just because it's common doesn't mean it's right. With a few exceptions, I guess (because there always are some) you don't want to be standing 15 feet back form the wall.

Well gee Dorothy, do tell! And I am sure that all offenders will read your post and stop standing so far back immediately.

By the way, nobody said it was right, in fact, I pointed out that it leads to trouble. Did you miss that part?

Wait. Who's Dorothy? Do you mean John Gill's wife? I'm so confused now. Hahahaha.

Curt

Partner cracklover

Dec 18, 2004, 1:44 AM
Post #87 of 149 (9647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
keep it short, to the poiint , interesting and with a bit of humor. the full page responses suck about as bad as the origional childish rant :roll:

No-one's making you read this thread.

GO

dirtineye

Dec 18, 2004, 1:57 AM
Post #88 of 149 (9647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

One of the central points Dan is making, and that I agree with, is that you will not often get yourself into "the crap" situation, if you are being prudent. If you decide to knowingly put yourself in "the crap" situation by deciding to climb below other people, climb choss, climb ice, etc.--then by all means wear a helmet, because you will be somewhat safer. However, you will not be as safe as climbing under more prudent conditions, even without a helmet.

Curt

That's just not true if you mostly go adventure climbing on unknown rock. You can say that it is then not prudent to do new routes, I guess. Suit yourself. I get in the crap situation a lot. On purpose. cause it's fun.

The whole idea of avoiding loose rock is funny to me, cause I see loose rock on nearly every new climb. THere is nothing more fun than trying to hit your belayer with a big rock! Of course, if you actually hit him, there could be trouble, so DON'T try this at home! Also, don't hit his dog with a rock, cause that will make him mad. Some people are funny about their dogs that way. Go figure.

But I digress. Raiing down rocks, dirt, various sorts of plant life and god only knows what is great fun, it's what doing an FA is all about. The trick is to make sure YOUR gear is out of the falliing zone, but your partner's stuff is right where everything will hit. IF you can bury some of his stuff, so much the better! Maybe he will forget about it and you can come back later and score some new gear. Burying your partner is frowned upon though, unless you hit him with a really big rock. Then you are sort of obligated to at least cover him with a big flat rock, a process known as "Flat Rocking". This procedure can also be used on the imprudent and unlucky learder from time to time.

But back to loose rock. The idea of avoiding it is fine, but if you are doing new routes in a popular area, you have some resposibility to clean up the routes so that Joe Climber will not grab on to that tempting flake edge (that is held on by sticky dirt moelcules holding hands with each other) and pull it off on himself and his friends, who are sitting in Crazy Creek chairs under the climb socializing.

All this talk about rock fall, hell, we have not even gotten to big sticks and dead trees! Now, I can tell you that there is NOTHING like tossing a 500 pound dead tree off a cliff. Especially one that is holding on by a few dead root hairs, and wishes only to kill a stupid human climber. It is much better style if you can pull the tree off while on lead, this is known as Onsight Tree Tossing. You may have to find a new belayer if you do this very often though, and most parties agree that the big stuff should come off when the second is above it and nobody is anywehre near the drop zone.

My last words about rockfall:

Gee,. all those rocks at the base of the cliff, they got there somehow... Did someone carry then in for decoration? NO! Why, I think they fell off the cliff!!!!! Some are big. Some are small. Some would not hurt your head at all. Some are large, some are round. Some would mash you in the ground.

Oh one more, it's so catchy:

Talus: Once was up, now is down. And if you have not noticed, there is a LOT of talus.

And one serious word to those who think they can avoid every bad situation: Sometimes, especially on previously unclimbed rock, you just can't tell what will come off and what will stay on. Some rock looks bad but is good, and some looks good but will come of in your hand with very little effort. Put your hand on enough new rock and you will find this out. Obviously bad rock is one thing, you can avoid that, but some crap rock is just not waving a flag and telling you that it is loose or crumbly. So you may think you can avoid bad rock, but if you were to climb on new rock much, you'd find that you can't always do that.

EDIT: Sorry Tradman, this may not be short, but I hope you got a laugh out if it. NO actual climbers or pets were harmed in the events that inspired this post, although I almost got my ass beat good for nearly dropping a tree on some friends once.

dirtineye

Dec 18, 2004, 2:04 AM
Post #89 of 149 (9647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Wait. Who's Dorothy? Do you mean John Gill's wife? I'm so confused now. Hahahaha.

Curt

YOU know, the Dorothy as in ruby (climbing) slippers, naive little girl, famous qoute, Gee Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas any more!" The one whose house fell on my ex wife's sisiter.

c-money
Deleted

Dec 18, 2004, 2:12 AM
Post #90 of 149 (9647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I am surprised (but should not be, I suppose) at the number of responses to Dan here that indicate a fundamental lack of understanding, regarding Dan's excellent point.
Curt

I agree. Why are people replying if they didn't bother to read the original post (and why read that much without making an effort to understand)? Yes, it is a lot of words, but none of them are too big or hard to figure out.

I enjoyed the original post and thought it had some good points.

I see the original post's point not as being that you should not bother wear your helmet, but that if you are going to all that effort to protect your head, you might use what is in that skull of yours as well...

gunkiemike

Dec 18, 2004, 2:40 AM
Post #91 of 149 (9647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well I for one work extremely hard at all those points the OP made (not being under others, rope position, loose rock etc). It's disconcerting to learn that all those good deeds go to waste when I put my helmet on.

I agree that there is some logic bending going on. Newbies do stupid, dangerous things - AGREED. Newbies wear more helmets than sourdoughs - AGREED. There weren't decent hemets around when the grey hairs were learning the game and doing their stupid, dangerous things. But to posit a cause & effect relationship, i.e. that newbies do stupid, dangerous things because of some perceived invincibility thing related to hemets... BZZZT. You might just as well blame the Mountain Dew ads, the epics issue of Climbing magazine, a big chunk of the chest beating on this site, climbing video* etc etc.

* "Hey , if Dean P. can whip 70' onto a 0.2 Camalot, I can too!"

New climbers too often perceive the sport as being safer than it is, period. They are blase about the myriad subtle dangers. Unfortunately, the sport isn't that much safer than it was 30 yr ago. Gear has improved, yes, but crowding is worse, and the rush to climb higher grades is more common (IMO). We could debate whether it really IS more safe, or less so, but that's for another thread.

curt

Dec 18, 2004, 2:48 AM
Post #92 of 149 (9647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Curt

That's just not true if you mostly go adventure climbing on unknown rock. You can say that it is then not prudent to do new routes, I guess. Suit yourself. I get in the crap situation a lot. On purpose. cause it's fun.

The whole idea of avoiding loose rock is funny to me, cause I see loose rock on nearly every new climb. THere is nothing more fun than trying to hit your belayer with a big rock! Of course, if you actually hit him, there could be trouble, so DON'T try this at home! Also, don't hit his dog with a rock, cause that will make him mad. Some people are funny about their dogs that way. Go figure.

But I digress. Raiing down rocks, dirt, various sorts of plant life and god only knows what is great fun, it's what doing an FA is all about. The trick is to make sure YOUR gear is out of the falliing zone, but your partner's stuff is right where everything will hit. IF you can bury some of his stuff, so much the better! Maybe he will forget about it and you can come back later and score some new gear. Burying your partner is frowned upon though, unless you hit him with a really big rock. Then you are sort of obligated to at least cover him with a big flat rock, a process known as "Flat Rocking". This procedure can also be used on the imprudent and unlucky learder from time to time.

But back to loose rock. The idea of avoiding it is fine, but if you are doing new routes in a popular area, you have some resposibility to clean up the routes so that Joe Climber will not grab on to that tempting flake edge (that is held on by sticky dirt moelcules holding hands with each other) and pull it off on himself and his friends, who are sitting in Crazy Creek chairs under the climb socializing.

All this talk about rock fall, hell, we have not even gotten to big sticks and dead trees! Now, I can tell you that there is NOTHING like tossing a 500 pound dead tree off a cliff. Especially one that is holding on by a few dead root hairs, and wishes only to kill a stupid human climber. It is much better style if you can pull the tree off while on lead, this is known as Onsight Tree Tossing. You may have to find a new belayer if you do this very often though, and most parties agree that the big stuff should come off when the second is above it and nobody is anywehre near the drop zone.

My last words about rockfall:

Gee,. all those rocks at the base of the cliff, they got there somehow... Did someone carry then in for decoration? NO! Why, I think they fell off the cliff!!!!! Some are big. Some are small. Some would not hurt your head at all. Some are large, some are round. Some would mash you in the ground.

Oh one more, it's so catchy:

Talus: Once was up, now is down. And if you have not noticed, there is a LOT of talus.

And one serious word to those who think they can avoid every bad situation: Sometimes, especially on previously unclimbed rock, you just can't tell what will come off and what will stay on. Some rock looks bad but is good, and some looks good but will come of in your hand with very little effort. Put your hand on enough new rock and you will find this out. Obviously bad rock is one thing, you can avoid that, but some crap rock is just not waving a flag and telling you that it is loose or crumbly. So you may think you can avoid bad rock, but if you were to climb on new rock much, you'd find that you can't always do that.

EDIT: Sorry Tradman, this may not be short, but I hope you got a laugh out if it. NO actual climbers or pets were harmed in the events that inspired this post, although I almost got my ass beat good for nearly dropping a tree on some friends once.

See, dirt, I don't think that you and Dan fundamentally disagree. You choose to put yourself into the line of fire, where there are more objective dangers and unknowns than are absolutely necessary. In those situations, Dan would agree that you are wise to wear a helmet, and I would too.

Also, I got some Caol Ila tonight-- a nice, but hard to find, Islay malt.

Curt

climbsomething

Dec 18, 2004, 3:00 AM
Post #93 of 149 (9647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Hi, did somebody stir a little condescending asshole into your coffee this morning?

I was not even disagreeing with you, just making a statement (perhaps reiterated) that it is a bad habit, but one that both climber and belayer can control, to stand way out of the wall.

dirtineye

Dec 18, 2004, 3:52 AM
Post #94 of 149 (9647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Hi, did somebody stir a little condescending asshole into your coffee this morning?

I was not even disagreeing with you, just making a statement (perhaps reiterated) that it is a bad habit, but one that both climber and belayer can control, to stand way out of the wall.

Temper temper!!!!

I guess when you make a statement that sounds condescending, you might get one back that sounds condesscending.

Never mind.

BUT you do remind me of Dorothy sometimes.

I don't drink coffee.

curt

Dec 18, 2004, 4:09 AM
Post #95 of 149 (9647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Well, that's the other thing. One man's well thought out and articulated analysis is another man's childish rant.

Curt

dirtineye

Dec 18, 2004, 5:26 AM
Post #96 of 149 (9647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Well, that's the other thing. One man's well thought out and articulated analysis is another man's childish rant.

Curt

Dan did go a litle overboard, but it wasn't really childish. A little more pro helmet, a little more cunstructive tone for those who do seem to think a hemet providces a magic force field would have made a better post though.

But it was a rant, and he said so, so what the hell, a rant is a rant, and rant;s don't avhe to be logically or rhetorically perfect, they are RANTS.

I think we can sum it up with this:

If you are never going to Feck up, and you are never going to have to deal with an unpredictable act of god while climbing, then you don/t need to wear a helmet.

If you think a helmet guarantees your survival and allows you to do stupid things with impunity, you are wrong.

Does a helmet give you an extra bit of safety, in addition to following safe climbing pratices and using your brain? Yes.

Partner rgold

Dec 18, 2004, 5:48 AM
Post #97 of 149 (9647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ho, ho, the mother of all helmet debates. Although I identify emotionally with Dan, I find myself able to sympathize with a broad spectrum of responses. This means, I suppose, that I find myself in disagreement with parts of the same spectrum as well.

I see two conflicting lines of thinking both of which, in extreme forms, seem flawed.

One approach is that experienced and thoughtful climbers have an almost limitless ability to mitigate dangers. While true to a great extent, I think it is possible to carry this too far. Once in a while, and not as infrequently as we might like, things do go unexpectedly wrong. I've had rocks kicked on me by people I did not know were up there. I've had "bombproof" pro blow. I've had a hold I've used maybe 50 times break off on the 51st. I've fallen upside down for no reason I can explain in retrospect. I've lost good friends who were experienced and careful. I've seen others suffer bad injuries, and yet others walk away from things that should have killed them. After 40 years, I have become more humble, and I'm not nearly as confident in my ability to control everything as I was in my first 10, 15, 20 years of climbing.

On the other end of the spectrum are those who view climbing safety as a collection of voodoo incantations, which if recited continually will keep the evil spirits away. Helmet use, brake hand positions, rappel backups, stopper knots, and so on, become mantras that eliminate, rather than provoke thoughtful interpretation of the demands of the situation. These folks are in more danger than they think, precisely because they aren't thinking about the actual dangers they face.

This leaves me pretty firmly in the "it depends" camp. Nowadays, I wear a helmet on crags more and more. Helmets have gotten a lot lighter and less intrusive, although even a Petzl Meteor is just awful in hot weather. It is indeed harder to avoid falling objects on popular crags than it used to be. And a consequence of my relatively newfound humbleness is that a bit of redundance is a good thing, and a helmet often seems like the extra backup I put in before a big runout, even if the original piece is "bombproof." However, in the end, a personal decision has to be made. Redundance is nice, but you can't back up everything all the time, and everyone has to draw their own line---a process that can have different results on different days.

Neither of these points addresses a third issue that Dan raises but then, to my way of thinking, clouds with the suggestion that helmets somehow cause more rockfall. I think more rockfall is caused by carelessness, inattention, and a failure to recognize, much less assume, responsibility for the safety of those underneath you. I dimly sense that these attitudes are somehow related to crowding. Leading a trad pitch seems to me to be a fundamentally private occasion; there is something almost voyeuristic about watching someone struggle for composure and control on the rock. The presence of others is an intrusion, and there may be a strong desire to pretend they are not there.

But they are, and it is a matter of the most fundamental decency to be as sure as we possibly can that no harm comes to them on our account.

curt

Dec 18, 2004, 6:12 AM
Post #98 of 149 (9647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Ho, ho, the mother of all helmet debates. Although I identify emotionally with Dan, I find myself able to sympathize with a broad spectrum of responses. This means, I suppose, that I find myself in disagreement with parts of the same spectrum as well.

I see two conflicting lines of thinking both of which, in extreme forms, seem flawed.

One approach is that experienced and thoughtful climbers have an almost limitless ability to mitigate dangers. While true to a great extent, I think it is possible to carry this too far. Once in a while, and not as infrequently as we might like, things do go unexpectedly wrong. I've had rocks kicked on me by people I did not know were up there. I've had "bombproof" pro blow. I've had a hold I've used maybe 50 times break off on the 51st. I've fallen upside down for no reason I can explain in retrospect. I've lost good friends who were experienced and careful. I've seen others suffer bad injuries, and yet others walk away from things that should have killed them. After 40 years, I have become more humble, and I'm not nearly as confident in my ability to control everything as I was in my first 10, 15, 20 years of climbing.

On the other end of the spectrum are those who view climbing safety as a collection of voodoo incantations, which if recited continually will keep the evil spirits away. Helmet use, brake hand positions, rappel backups, stopper knots, and so on, become mantras that eliminate, rather than provoke thoughtful interpretation of the demands of the situation. These folks are in more danger than they think, precisely because they aren't thinking about the actual dangers they face.

This leaves me pretty firmly in the "it depends" camp. Nowadays, I wear a helmet on crags more and more. Helmets have gotten a lot lighter and less intrusive, although even a Petzl Meteor is just awful in hot weather. It is indeed harder to avoid falling objects on popular crags than it used to be. And a consequence of my relatively newfound humbleness is that a bit of redundance is a good thing, and a helmet often seems like the extra backup I put in before a big runout, even if the original piece is "bombproof." However, in the end, a personal decision has to be made. Redundance is nice, but you can't back up everything all the time, and everyone has to draw their own line---a process that can have different results on different days.

Neither of these points addresses a third issue that Dan raises but then, to my way of thinking, clouds with the suggestion that helmets somehow cause more rockfall. I think more rockfall is caused by carelessness, inattention, and a failure to recognize, much less assume, responsibility for the safety of those underneath you. I dimly sense that these attitudes are somehow related to crowding. Leading a trad pitch seems to me to be a fundamentally private occasion; there is something almost voyeuristic about watching someone struggle for composure and control on the rock. The presence of others is an intrusion, and there may be a strong desire to pretend they are not there.

But they are, and it is a matter of the most fundamental decency to be as sure as we possibly can that no harm comes to them on our account.

Nice post, Rich. I did notice that you were wearing a helmet when we climbed together a couple of months ago. Is this (as I suspect) because there are increasing numbers of climbers in the Gunks, adding to the objective danger there--or for some other reason?

Curt

hugepedro

Dec 18, 2004, 6:27 AM
Post #99 of 149 (9647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I love it. Sport climbers and boulderers discussing objective hazards. That's rich! When was the last time you actually had man-killer rocks or ice zinging past your head? :lol: :lol: Just giving y'all a hard time.

No, really, I agreed with Dan's points about knowing what the hell you're getting yourself into, and situational awareness. I just disagree that there is a correlation between helmet wearing and gumbyness. That is effing stupid. And it's effing dangerous. Some gumby is going to read that and think that wearing a helmet isn't cool. The truth is that it IS better for gumbies to be wearing helmets until they start to figure out for themselves what is or is not safe (or safER, actually). Not as a substitute for safe behavior, but as a way to reduce at least some of the risk until they start to figure it out. What, you think newbies are just going to stop climbing because of Dan's post? Right.

Here's the deal. It's nice to think that you know what you're getting yourself into. It's nice to think that you know what crag is or is not prone to rockfall. And often you might be right. But there are rare times when you will be wrong.

Newsflash. EVERYWHERE we climb is subject to rockfall. And you may not see or hear it coming. And you many not be able to get out of the way. Ever been in a situation where there are 10 rocks coming down on you all at once? You think you can dodge that? Maybe. You think you can dodge that when your tied in and your movement is limited? Good luck. Because that's what it will be if you don't get hit - LUCK. Not skill. Not knowledge. Not experience. LUCK.

Just a couple years ago at a crag where I climbed a lot. A popular crag. Rockfall was rare. Someone walking below the cliff was hit in the head. There was nobody climbing above him. The was no warning. There was no sound. He spent 2 years in a coma, then he died. That's it.

Rockfall happens spontaneously sometimes. There's this thing called the freeze/thaw cycle, and you don't have to be very far North for it to be a factor. Enchanted Rock, outside of Texas, is a frickin' exfoliation dome. That means the shiite has been formed by freezing and thawing causing stuff to fall off. I would rarely see people wearing helmets there.

It's good advice to tell people they need to pay their dues, they need to learn how to recognize the relative danger of whatever situation they get themselves into. It is not good to say to say that people who wear helmets are fuck-ups, which is pretty much what he said here:

In reply to:
I pretty much consider it a fact that as a group, disregarding other factors, people that wear helmets do tend to be more accident prone.

tanner

Dec 18, 2004, 7:07 AM
Post #100 of 149 (9647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with the purpose of this rant! I think helmets are never a bad idea but there are more important safty issues to discuss, that are not as visable. What about TR'ing off dangerous tree's with out testing them first? I see that one often enough.

There are tonnes of little things that can kill you.

Its also scary that many new climbers don't have any "what if" skills

Ask you self some "what If's" you might be just get humbled

Tanner

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook