RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

nightlion

Dec 29, 2004, 2:06 AM
Post #1 of 17 (2178 views)
Shortcut

climbing along the Appalachian trail?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm planning on hiking the AT in March and was wondering if there is enough bouldering/climbing along the way to be worth while bringing shoes and chalk. I'm not worried about the extra weight. Any info would be appreciated

theflyingsquirrel

Dec 29, 2004, 2:33 AM
Post #2 of 17 (2178 views)
Shortcut

Re: climbing along the Appalachian trail? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

theres some actually alot of decent crags along the trail. not on it but only off it like a mile at the most but definately worth while theres at least four of them in my area.

climbersoze

Dec 29, 2004, 2:51 AM
Post #3 of 17 (2178 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Shenendoah Nat'l Park has some good climbing right off the AT - one of my favorite spots to boulder when I go backpacking in SNP is Bearfence Mtn. Tehre are also a few good areas around the Big Meadow lodge just off the AT - in fact the AT is the approach trail. If you get your hands on the Falcon Guide for VA/WV/MD, there is a good section on smaller crags off the AT in VA. Another resource to check is Trailplace.com (If you are planning a thru-hike you probably already know of this site). Jsut be prepared for the tree-hugging elite to thrash you about LNT ethics.

On that note - make sure you only climb in an area that has been climbed before - and don't get some wild idea of peeling moss off a nice boulder that is adjacent to the trail. That sucks.

nightlion

Dec 29, 2004, 11:27 PM
Post #4 of 17 (2178 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for the info. i'm defiently climbing along the way.

thatdude

Dec 29, 2004, 11:50 PM
Post #5 of 17 (2178 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wiskey Springs in PA is along the trail. There is a super sweet problem there that has a white blaze right on it.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...tArea.php?AreaID=493

Cheers

irockclimbtoo

Dec 30, 2004, 1:41 AM
Post #6 of 17 (2178 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ab

phlsphr

Dec 30, 2004, 2:10 AM
Post #7 of 17 (2178 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm planning on hiking the AT in March and was wondering if there is enough bouldering/climbing along the way to be worth while bringing shoes and chalk. I'm not worried about the extra weight. Any info would be appreciated

I hope you don't mean that you are planning to hike the entire AT in March. It takes most folks 5-7 months to do the entire through-hike. If not, which portion of the trail were you thinking about?

nightlion

Dec 30, 2004, 2:24 AM
Post #8 of 17 (2178 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ok. let me clarify a little bit. i'm starting at springer mountain in march. yes, i know it takes 5-7 months to hike it all the way. i'm just looking to make sure that i can still do some climbing while i'm hiking. that way i'm not completely out of climbing for those 5-7 months. and, thanks again everyone for the info. oh and i won't be scrapping moss off of any boulders. LNT ethics here.

boulderqt

Dec 30, 2004, 2:40 AM
Post #9 of 17 (2178 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In MD you have black rock, Annapolis rock and Raven rock all right off the trail. Good luck :!:

Partner cliffhanger9

Dec 30, 2004, 2:50 AM
Post #10 of 17 (2178 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

A relative of mine just got back from the AT last fall and after talking to him alot and seeing about 25 rolls of film over thanksgiving, some things i will share...

You will most likely change your mind about the extra weight. If you are planning on doing the whole 2100 miles that is. He started with a mid sized pack and by the time he got out of Maine, had shipped most of it back home - you wont want you pack to weigh more then about 30 pounds - I think he ended up with one around 20 when he got to springer..

He also said that trips off the trail were few and far between as it was such a PITA...he was averaging about 25 miles a day (some days as many as 40, some days as little as 8 (up in hte northern part of the trail the hills are killer - more up and down mileage)) and to take a trip into town 2 miles off trail and 2 miles back were based on necessity (need food (mostly just ramen) or trip to the docs) rather then to check out climbing possibilites or something recreational...

but I dont know what your timeline is like...he did it in 4 months but apparently average make it in around 6 - so it all depends

Anyway just some other stuff that i found interesting...

-went through 3 pair of boots
-so many bugs when he started out that they ended up just caking the skin-so-soft on so that the bugs would just get trapped in the goo and then brushing it off on bushes and stuff as you hike - never stop - you learn to hike faster so that the bugs cant keep up..
-he basically wore the same single pair of shorts and shirt the entire trip
-major culture shock after coming back - living outside in the wilderness on the LNT type travel, you adapt to your surroundings, things like cigarrette smoke and the slightest perfume gave him major headaches and really messes with you when you get back after not being around it for so long...

Anyway If you are serisous about taking this on, you probably have checked out their website which is pretty good..

check out the physical and mental preparedness section if you havent already..

after hours of talking about his adventure, he said that noone can tell you how to prepare for this...everyone gets something different out of it...if you are strong willed and are determined, you will learn to adapt little quirks and things to cut down your pack weight, get in your own routine, food rationing, etc - was a really life altering experience for him

but to answer your question - i wouldnt bring chalk - i dont use it as it is - its messy, extra pack weight, and not necessary for some off trail bouldering or whatever - i dunno jsut my thoguhts...bring em - but i think you will find yourself sending them home very early in the trek..

anyway - let us know how it goes!! best wishes for a swift and safe trip!

montafoner

Dec 30, 2004, 2:55 AM
Post #11 of 17 (2178 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess you're taking the "It's a long approach" thing to the extreme!!

Oh, I hope you're not planning on hauling along all your gear (maybe just shoes). After the first day on the trail you'll dump it all and replace it with food.

How can one forget the delaware water gap? The trail goes right through it. There's some climbing to be had on both sides (NJ and PA). I haven't climbed there myself, but it's got some decent trad but might be a little loose (bring a helmet). You can even set up camp less than a mile from the top of the crag (if you don't mind boy scouts). All along the ridge heading north to High Point and then east along the NY/NJ border are smaller cliff faces and boulders.

nightlion

Dec 30, 2004, 2:59 AM
Post #12 of 17 (2178 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cliffhanger9 thanks for the advice. now that i think about it i probably will leave the chalk behind but still take the shoes. i've been living out of my pack for the last 19 months for the most part, so the culture shocks are already there. i worked in a program where i lived in the woods for 27 days at at time and then had 2 weeks off. I've already packed my pack and it'll be under 30 lbs most of the time even with the shoes. just depends on how far of a stretch i'm taking food for.

roadside_will

Dec 30, 2004, 11:14 AM
Post #13 of 17 (2178 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It has been a few years since I thru-hiked, and I also did it backwards from you (Maine to georgia). However I brought my shoes and never shipped them home, if you are at all like me, many nights after 20-30 mile days I would go off in search of some good bouldering. I found lots of great places and even more not so great places. Still some good climbing can put some pain in your arms to take your mind off how much your legs and ankles are killing you (I did it in under 3 months, so I could ill afford 6-8 mile days). The climbing got worse for me the futher south I went, so I would assume it will only get better as you head north.

cthulu

Jan 3, 2005, 1:14 AM
Post #14 of 17 (2178 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

AC is nice but through hiking the PCT is a lot more badass and has alot more rock. Takes a hell of a long time though. I was climbing out in the Sierras and those guys are so lonely. They talk for hours. I met one doin it in sandles so you could probably bring some shoes. Hell, why not do the whole thing in sport climbing shoes to build character.

jamaica

Jan 3, 2005, 1:25 AM
Post #15 of 17 (2178 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm also a thru-hiker of trails and plan on thru-hiking the AT in a year or two but would never imagine carrying the weight of climbing shoes for all 2100 miles. I can see those little pieces of weight getting sent home pretty quick

boulder barefoot

jamcaia 8^)

Partner melodicllama

Jan 3, 2005, 1:32 AM
Post #16 of 17 (2178 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Annapolis Rocks Maryland- about 1/4 mile off the trail LOTS of routes and excellent rock.

Maryland Heights- I believe it is on the AT but I can't be certain. It's ok for multi pitch but theres some choss there.

i was just about to say this before i saw your post...never been to Maryland Heights, but i went to Annapolis once. It rained like a b---- and we decided it was cursed and didnt return. there did seem to be a lot of great routes. bout a 1/2 hour walk from the trailhead.

nedsurf

Jan 3, 2005, 2:46 AM
Post #17 of 17 (2178 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with those who said you will not want to carry the extra weight. If you really do, wait until you get past the balds in the south and have someone send them to you. Another thought is you can pack your rack and rope for some trad climbing right in harpers ferry.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook