RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

Partner brent_e

Jan 6, 2005, 12:08 AM
Post #1 of 25 (1814 views)
Shortcut

coloured chalk???
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

is there such a thing? who makes it?

thanks

Brent

jer

Jan 6, 2005, 12:39 AM
Post #2 of 25 (1814 views)
Shortcut

Re: coloured chalk??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dig it:
http://www.rockchalk.net/

johnson6102002

Jan 6, 2005, 1:22 AM
Post #3 of 25 (1814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.rockchalk.net

for the lazy

veritasmmv

Jan 6, 2005, 1:27 AM
Post #4 of 25 (1814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I looked at that rockchalk site and my thoughts are... psh! When I heard colored chalk I thought red green blue yellow purple pink... COLORS!! But then I read that they color it to match the color of the rock you're climbing. What a jip, haha

maldaly

Jan 6, 2005, 2:45 AM
Post #5 of 25 (1814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's a nice idea but has a few drawbacks:
#1 I haven't tried the above brand but all commercial colored chalk has been really really bad. Way greasy.
#2 It gets all over you and after a day or session you look like you've been rolling around in the dirt.

Our solution, back in the very early Hueco days when chalk wasn't allowed, was to mix a bunch of random drops of food coloring into your bag until the stuff was dirt looking. Worked pretty well. Didn't seem to affect the performance of the chalk, it was cheap but we still ended up looking like dirt.
Mal

phatcat

Jan 6, 2005, 2:50 AM
Post #6 of 25 (1814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

for the lazy
:wink:

...thankyou, allthough i did bother to write this....

get_a_grip

Jan 6, 2005, 2:57 AM
Post #7 of 25 (1814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I looked at that rockchalk site and my thoughts are... psh! When I heard colored chalk I thought red green blue yellow purple pink... COLORS!!
i second on this lol...i wanted hot pink

and as soon as i saw you didn't make the link active i thought "forget this"

but anyway the chalk looks a little greasy and i'll just stick with white chalk

curt

Jan 6, 2005, 3:52 AM
Post #8 of 25 (1814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Coloured chalk (colored to us) sucks. Not only is it greasy, as previously mentioned, but (unlike white chalk) it permanently stains the rock. I suppose the staining issue isn't so bad, if you always climb at only one climbing area--and you can get a chalk color that matches that rock type exactly. However, if you climb at various areas, as most people do, you will be leaving unsightly permanent stains behind. Unless you go to the extreme length of getting a different color chalk and chalkbag for each area where you climb. And that just seems like too damned much work to be practical.

Curt

coloredchalker

Jan 6, 2005, 3:57 PM
Post #9 of 25 (1814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For the nay sayers:

I am the guy that has developed this colored chalk and manufactures it. I use it when climbing and can vouch for the nongreasy feel. Also the pigment is completely natural and won't stain the rock. But what do my words matter?

So- here is a deal I'll make for all who read this forum.
Buy one 2 oz. bag, try it out, if you don't like it I'll send you 2 oz of white chalk and refund your money.

You can't loose.

Also read the gear review in Rock and Ice Issue number 138, and look for reviews in Outside Magazine and here at RC.com.

If you still doubt read what a few others have to say- "it's amazing", Jake Deboard; "Performs just like chalk should perform", Lauren Lee.

I'll zip it now. :)

grayhghost

Jan 6, 2005, 4:15 PM
Post #10 of 25 (1814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It is banned in Hueco because of its staining qualities.
Most pigments are all natural.

climb_463

Jan 6, 2005, 4:37 PM
Post #11 of 25 (1814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've found some chalk for the gym rats!

http://a248.e.akamai.net/....jpg?resize(250x250)

Partner j_ung

Jan 6, 2005, 4:47 PM
Post #12 of 25 (1814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Also read the gear review in Rock and Ice Issue number 138, and look for reviews in Outside Magazine and here at RC.com.

If you still doubt read what a few others have to say- "it's amazing", Jake Deboard; "Performs just like chalk should perform", Lauren Lee.

I'll zip it now. :)

As a matter of fact, I just got off the phone with coloredchalker (cute username, man :) ) and have several blocks of it headed my way for official RC.com testing. Rest assured, I and my compatriots will get to the bottom of this colored chalk issue, toot sweet. :wink:

And just so you know, I am uniquely qualified to evaluate chalk. Few climbers spend more time dipping into the powdered courage than I do. :oops:

Partner brent_e

Jan 6, 2005, 5:49 PM
Post #13 of 25 (1814 views)
Shortcut

thanks for your help! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks everyone... i'll wait for the review!

Brent

jer

Jan 6, 2005, 6:29 PM
Post #14 of 25 (1814 views)
Shortcut

Re: thanks for your help! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Seems like most comments thus far are based on how colored chalk "used" to be.
This guy just started producing this stuff in OH-Four. I have used some light grey in RMNP, and it was great. Then I used red in Moab. Man did I feel Eco-friendly...I could invisibly puff my way up the splitters with nary a sign of my thrashing! Now if I coudl just work on the sound polution I expelled...

It felt so good to be so visually undisturbung, I am thinking about dying all my clothes the same color as the chalk, so I completely disappear. However, I will need to begin yelling every time I clip, as even my partner will lose sight of me!

Just think of the domino effect this stuff will have- recycling bins at the campground, we'll all get Honda Hybrids, and use our tape gloves for doing dishes, and as a shower loofah instead of tossing it into the bushes.

Anyways...this dude has worked HARD to make this stuff WORK! And as an admmitted Chalk Whore, I admit it's nice to do the double dip at the crux and not leave a sneeze full of "white confidence" on the rock.

jer

p.s. one concern was not seeing "in situ tick marks". This has not been a problem...as I can still see it when within body range.

southbayclimber

Jan 6, 2005, 6:59 PM
Post #15 of 25 (1814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

But if the chock blends in how am I supposed to know where the next hold is????!!!! :lol: :lol:

johnson6102002

Jan 6, 2005, 7:22 PM
Post #16 of 25 (1814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
But if the chock blends in how am I supposed to know where the next hold is????!!!! :lol: :lol:

duuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhh the colored tape :robert:

yorb

Jan 6, 2005, 10:17 PM
Post #17 of 25 (1814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
But if the chock blends in how am I supposed to know where the next hold is????!!!!

lol, good point you bring up, it does make it easy for everyone to find the next hold. The more you rely on seeing a chalked up hold to to find the next move on a route, the more it becomes like gym climbing. Whether you want to admit it or not, chalk can be really good beta, i think it takes a little bit away from an onsight.

1873ak

Jan 6, 2005, 10:25 PM
Post #18 of 25 (1814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Se we've not got a new criteria for onsight - NO CHALK MARKS.

yorb

Jan 6, 2005, 10:51 PM
Post #19 of 25 (1814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey, i'm not saying it's not an onsight if there's chalk on the route, but it would definitely make an onsight more interesting if you didn't have the next hold painted white yelling at you GRAB ME!!!!

charley

Jan 6, 2005, 11:41 PM
Post #20 of 25 (1814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[chalk is colored to match the rock so it doesn't look like trash or litter . These white eyesores are the first thing some land managers notice in climbing areas. Then they notice compacted earth with no plant life left, and then they start to think about restricting or prohibiting climbing.

veritasmmv

Jan 7, 2005, 7:13 AM
Post #21 of 25 (1814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm joking... DUUUUHHHHHHH!!! Come on you gotta admit chalk colored in ordinary colors could be fun (at least at the gym, you might get shanked at a crag)

james_climber

Jan 7, 2005, 7:30 AM
Post #22 of 25 (1814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I looked at that rockchalk site and my thoughts are... psh! When I heard colored chalk I thought red green blue yellow purple pink... COLORS!! But then I read that they color it to match the color of the rock you're climbing. What a jip, haha

I thought the same , but how bad could look the rock with colors , damn it would b e the worst thing , even the white color looks bad

grigri

Jan 7, 2005, 9:19 AM
Post #23 of 25 (1814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Super useful thread! :D Thanx! We here in SA are searching for this stuff. We have been developing a mutipitch sport crag (250m/750ft high) which once opened to the masses is going to blow people away. Set up in the mountains it is awesomely beautiful and the climbing is rad! Anyway the point is that the landowner is really upset by the chalk marks on the wall as he feels (quite rightly) that it destroys the aesthetic of this otherwise magnificent place. So we plan to buy a whole bucket of the brown stuff and leave it up there for all to use.

coloredchalker

Jan 7, 2005, 2:49 PM
Post #24 of 25 (1814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I thought the same , but how bad could look the rock with colors , damn it would b e the worst thing , even the white color looks bad

Come on now.
If your climbing on red rock whats going to stand out more, white or orange chalk? White or grey chalk? :roll:

In reply to:
Then they notice compacted earth with no plant life left, and then they start to think about restricting or prohibiting climbing. Please start to use the round object on your shoulders for things other than head jams.

Right on!

dbtex

Jan 8, 2005, 7:17 AM
Post #25 of 25 (1814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been using the chalk Rockchalk by Terra Firma since this past summer. Introduced to it in RMNP, I noticed how it sucked up the moisture right off the bat- my hands sweat a lot. The only time over the past 6 months of using it whereI noticed it wasn't drying, was climbing in my garage gym in Houston back in August or September- it was between 98 to 100, and 95% humidity. I had no business being out there at that time, it was bad.

Apart from that time, it is not greasy. In RMNP where I used it the reddish color blended with the rock (granite) very well. I used the grey at Black Cliffs (basalt) in Boise. In both places I climbed, I noticed the white chalk paths on the rock from other climbers. It sure seemed to me like the colored chalk was a better alternative. The yellowish color is almost a dead on match for the limestone out at Reimer's Ranch near Austin.

So far, I have been really happy with the products. Hands stay dry and I feel as if I am helping keep it clean out there.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook