Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

dirtineye

Feb 7, 2005, 6:40 AM
Post #51 of 145 (11501 views)
Shortcut

Re: Should an 11b climber bolt 14's? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
I personally like that this person is willing to challenge himself, develop new lines, and push the ethical envelop forward.

If the climb he wants to bolt is many grades past his ability, he is pushing the ethical envelope in the wrong direction.

climber15

Feb 7, 2005, 8:45 AM
Post #52 of 145 (11501 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Without seeing the line, how can anyone possibly know if its worth bolting?
If your mate thinks that hees up to the task and willing to learn and put up a quaility route, then Id say let him go for it. It usually pretty hard to tell exactly what grade the line is untill youve tried it, so set up a natural top rope and give it a go!

And fortunatly with all the modern technology we have, a bolt can be completly moved, errased, or hidden with some work from a paintbrush. When I put up my routes in the Red Rocks canyon of Colorado Springs, I placed a bolt in the wrong place. After discovering this whilst leading it, I promtly errased and put a new bolt in in the proper place. Its almost impossible to see were the previous bolt had been.

If the community doesnt like the line, then it can always be fixed, and redone to become a route that everyone can enjoy.

Partner climbinginchico

Feb 7, 2005, 9:20 AM
Post #53 of 145 (11501 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Not to sound mean but your friend is as dumb as they come, unless they climb that hard how in the world is he going to knows that a true 14? Unless you can climb that hard and have climbed other 14's to know what they are like how can u call it a 14? do me a favor next time you out with you friend just do the entire climbing world a favor and push him off the top of some tall face with out any belay.

Where's my steaming pile of crap vote when I need it??? :evil:

I love the juxtaposition of "Not to sound mean" and "do the entire climbing world a favor and push him off the top of some tall face." Tard. :roll:

clmbr3

Feb 7, 2005, 9:43 AM
Post #54 of 145 (11501 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

If you are drilling ground up without aid, you only get to drill when you find a no-hands stance. This results in runouts, and generally letting the route dictate where you can place the bolts instead of logic about where clips will be easy.

If you are drilling ground up, with aid, you have as much control as rab bolting, unless you arbitrarily limit yourself to hooking or something lame like that. In the latter case, you'll end up with a complete mess (like the Bachar-Yerian).

Couldn't let this slip by, Fracture. The Bachar-Yerian is a mess??? (Not a bold, visionary, ground breaking climb...?)

I think there is something to be said for putting a route up according to what the rock dictates. You don't?

guangzhou

Feb 7, 2005, 12:07 PM
Post #55 of 145 (11501 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ray Jardine pushed the ethical envelop when he decided to work the Phoenix into oblivion. He put up the first 13. He was criticized for dogging the route more than for pitoning it to death.

Separate Reality in the valley was lead on preplaced gear. The gear was placed while walking across the top of the crack, and the slings hung on the bottom. Sounds a lot like pink pointing to me. The route is still done this way often.

With your standards of needing to be within reach, no new standarts would be reached. Lynn Hill worked on the Nose for over a year before getting the redpoint. You could argue that the route wasn't in her range and didn’t belong there. Is she pushing the ethics envelop in the wrong direction too.

Wofgang was criticized in “Rock Punk,” I know, I was living in Bavaria at the time, for bolting a route that "would never go free." I guess he showed them.

Instead of criticizing this guy for wanted to bolt something hard by his standards, give him some advice on how to do the job well. Whether the route is 14 or not is irrelevant anyways.

Sport routes

fracture

Feb 7, 2005, 5:22 PM
Post #56 of 145 (11501 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

If you are drilling ground up without aid, you only get to drill when you find a no-hands stance. This results in runouts, and generally letting the route dictate where you can place the bolts instead of logic about where clips will be easy.

If you are drilling ground up, with aid, you have as much control as rab bolting, unless you arbitrarily limit yourself to hooking or something lame like that. In the latter case, you'll end up with a complete mess (like the Bachar-Yerian).

Couldn't let this slip by, Fracture. The Bachar-Yerian is a mess??? (Not a bold, visionary, ground breaking climb...?)

I think there is something to be said for putting a route up according to what the rock dictates. You don't?

No, I don't. I call it contrived. But that's not what the Bachar-Yerian is, anyway: it was drilled on aid (from hooks). The runouts are completely deliberate, not "dictated by the rock". Supposedly (I don't remember where I heard this) on the FA, Bachar would climb, ask Yerian if he was scared, and if yes, go a little further before placing a hook to drill a bolt.

Ground breaking? The Bachar-Yerian is only 5.11c/d. The only "difficulty" is due to the intentionally bad bolting job. As Guangzhou mentions: Action Directe was truely ground breaking. Akira will probably eventually be seen as ground breaking. The FFA of the Nose was ground breaking. The early rap-bolted lines done at Smith were certainly ground breaking.

I don't think the BY compares with these other developments.

dingus

Feb 7, 2005, 5:36 PM
Post #57 of 145 (11501 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Historically speaking, the standards of our sport were pushed by people who were willing to break the rules set by the previous old guards.

No, historically speaking, the standards of our sport were pushed by innovative and extremely bold people who took risks to push those standards - little or no "breaking of rules" was involved.

Maybe. I would say that yes, standards are pushed by the innovative and bold. But the quantum leaps of our sport are rule breaking leaps generally speaking, involving either new technology or new approaches, or both.

I think rule breakers are actually the heart and soul of this sport.

DMT

healyje

Feb 7, 2005, 10:04 PM
Post #58 of 145 (11501 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Ray Jardine pushed the ethical envelop when he decided to work the Phoenix into oblivion. He put up the first 13. He was criticized for dogging the route more than for pitoning it to death.

Separate Reality in the valley was lead on preplaced gear. The gear was placed while walking across the top of the crack, and the slings hung on the bottom. Sounds a lot like pink pointing to me. The route is still done this way often.

With your standards of needing to be within reach, no new standarts would be reached. Lynn Hill worked on the Nose for over a year before getting the redpoint. You could argue that the route wasn't in her range and didn’t belong there. Is she pushing the ethics envelop in the wrong direction too.

Wofgang was criticized in “Rock Punk,” I know, I was living in Bavaria at the time, for bolting a route that "would never go free." I guess he showed them.

Instead of criticizing this guy for wanted to bolt something hard by his standards, give him some advice on how to do the job well. Whether the route is 14 or not is irrelevant anyways.

Sport routes

The routes you describe were all within reach of being both plausible and possible by the climbers that did them. That Ray, Wolfgang, Lynn took a time to do them doesn't mean they needed to improve 3 or 4 levels of difficulty in that time - only that they needed to work the moves and/or develop some technique they didn't normally use. Lynn wasn't a 5.11 climber at the start of that year and neither was Wolfgang - again, these routes were all within the realm of immediate possibility, that's why they were working on them...

Let's be very clear here, this individual isn't "breaking any rules" and certainly isn't "breaking new ground", we're talking about someone ready to jump on and possible deface a rock way, way before they have the skills and judgment to develop the route in question. It's simply either really bad judgment or posing.

When I speak of "breaking rules" I'm talking about those that specifically impact the rock, not the broader set of games we play.

guangzhou

Feb 7, 2005, 10:31 PM
Post #59 of 145 (11501 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

During the 80, Ray Jardine, Pertcroft, among countless others were attempting to free climb the Nose. None of them have accomplished this. I guess that they were being unethical.

Today we can say that Wofgang was within reach of Action Direct, but at the time, the worlds best climbers said that it was UNCLIMBABLE. He not only was willing to bolt a route he couldn't do(he couldn’t when he bolted it), but one that at the time, many believe no one could do.

If this climber bolts the route, he could conceivably start a training regiment, climb more, and focus his effort to eventually climb 5.14. Instead of stumping hi vision, let's encourage him.

Just because he hasn't climb a 14, doesn't mean he can't achieve it. I have not seen the line, so I have no idea whether or not he can identify clip stances without climbing, but that is conceivable.

I completely agree with one thing. This guy is not breaking any rules, so technically, this guy could bolt this line. That is all I have said all along.

refugee

Feb 7, 2005, 11:01 PM
Post #60 of 145 (11501 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is very simple: yes.

There is no ethical question here at all.

People are free to bolt whatever route they want (assuming it's a sport line and save for the obvious ethical quagmires). Routes are often bolted poorly and they either get fixed or left that way--either way, it's a sport route.

Many people bolt lines that they realize they can't do and leave them for a time when they get strong enough to do it or someone else does it first.

What's wrong with someone making a dream/aspiration that will push them? Screw you if you think there is...

tenesmus

Feb 7, 2005, 11:18 PM
Post #61 of 145 (11501 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

An acquaintance of mine ground up bolted a 5.9 route in LCC last spring and encouraged people to get on it. Another route right next to it was crowded so I got on it. It was the biggest piece of of poorly protected 5.11 choss I've ever climbed. Mixed, with bad gear in the wrong places - It could have easily killed me.

I guess you should be wary of 5.13 trad climbers bolting 5.9 routes on lead. He intended no wrong and thought it would be fine. I don't hold it against him, it's just impossible to tell when you are that far from your comfort zone.

climber15

Feb 7, 2005, 11:51 PM
Post #62 of 145 (11501 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have always wondered why some people that can climb in the 11-12 range bolt really runout and scary 5.9's that are sickeningly terrifying and there is groundfall potentil (essentially making the line an eletist route and scaring off the beginers), but say that a beginer making a line at their grade is completly ubsurd because they might "screw it up".

Not to bash anybody for putting up routes in their chosen style, but before we start telling this guy that he cant put up a route becuase he "might" screw it up, lets take a look at all the botched terrible bolt jobs that the "elite' and "legendary" climbers have put up.

Partner gunksgoer

Feb 8, 2005, 12:48 AM
Post #63 of 145 (11501 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Wolfgang Gullich bolted a Action Direct (14+) now, before he, or anyone else in the world was ever able to climb the grade. He had vision, he failed, he designed a training regiment, and he came back several months later to do the first accent. He than rated the route 14b before any route had ever been rated 14a. When criticized for it, he held his ground.

I believe this is almost exactly what has happened/still is happening to fred roughling for akira. he rated the climb 15b before 15a existed, and he is still getting ripped on for it. i think for the most part it has died down, since it is now well known he actually climbed the thing, and didnt use chipped holds.

i think also the naysayers finally said, shit dude, weve been bashing this guy for a decade over akira, and no one else can do the thing almost 10 years later. roughling was way ahead of his time, and an awesome guy, just like gullich. although i dont agree with the chipping on some of his routes, he still did akira way bofore anyone else could concieve anything that hard, and he did it in good style. freddys my boy.

i realize this didnt quite apply to the original post, but guangzhou inspired me to write it.

Partner gunksgoer

Feb 8, 2005, 12:50 AM
Post #64 of 145 (11501 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Wolfgang Gullich bolted a Action Direct (14+) now, before he, or anyone else in the world was ever able to climb the grade. He had vision, he failed, he designed a training regiment, and he came back several months later to do the first accent. He than rated the route 14b before any route had ever been rated 14a. When criticized for it, he held his ground.

I believe this is almost exactly what has happened/still is happening to fred roughling for akira. he rated the climb 15b before 15a existed, and he is still getting ripped on for it. i think for the most part it has died down, since it is now well known he actually climbed the thing, and didnt use chipped holds.

i think also the naysayers finally said, shit dude, weve been bashing this guy for a decade over akira, and no one else can do the thing almost 10 years later. roughling was way ahead of his time, and an awesome guy. although i dont agree with the chipping on some of his routes, he still did akira way bofore anyone else could concieve anything that hard, and he did it in good style. freddys my boy.

i realize this didnt quite apply to the original post, but guangzhou inspired me to write it.

tradmanclimbs

Feb 8, 2005, 1:11 AM
Post #65 of 145 (11501 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I didn't read the whole post and am not going to comment on the individual situation that inspired the post. Climbing does however have a long history of people bolting stuff that is above their ability to free climb. that is how many projects get to be projects and eventualy classsics. i feel that as long as you have a decent grasp of what it takes to climb rock and you think it through and bounce ideas off other climbers stronger than you that there is no reason that a rt setter can't do an excelent job of setting a rout that they may never be able to free climb. If you do make a mistake and the guys/girls working the Rt. complaine about the placement of a bolt and give you a sugestion of a better placement it is no big deal to move the bolt as long as it is not a glue in. It is just a sport climb so it is not an ethical issue to move a bolt to improve the climbing experience.

jt512

Feb 8, 2005, 2:04 AM
Post #66 of 145 (11501 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If your mate thinks that hees up to the task and willing to learn and put up a quaility route, then Id say let him go for it.

If an 11b toproper thinks he is up to the task of bolting a 5.14 route, then he is delusional.

-Jay

jakedatc

Feb 8, 2005, 2:56 AM
Post #67 of 145 (11501 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

even good climbers screw up bolt jobs.. i dont know if it's been mentioned but Dave graham did a poor ass job on Bill clinton project at Rumney.. though it has been done properly now

still say u should toss TR anchors and see what it's like... or leave it

jt512

Feb 8, 2005, 3:05 AM
Post #68 of 145 (11501 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
even good climbers screw up bolt jobs.. i dont know if it's been mentioned but Dave graham did a poor ass job on Bill clinton project at Rumney.. though it has been done properly now

still say u should toss TR anchors and see what it's like... or leave it

If it's a 5.14, then the 5.11b climber isn't going to be able to any of the moves, so what's the point of attempting to top rope it?

-Jay

clmbr3

Feb 8, 2005, 6:28 AM
Post #69 of 145 (11501 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
]

No, I don't. I call it contrived. But that's not what the Bachar-Yerian is, anyway: it was drilled on aid (from hooks). The runouts are completely deliberate, not "dictated by the rock". Supposedly (I don't remember where I heard this) on the FA, Bachar would climb, ask Yerian if he was scared, and if yes, go a little further before placing a hook to drill a bolt.

Ground breaking? The Bachar-Yerian is only 5.11c/d. The only "difficulty" is due to the intentionally bad bolting job. As Guangzhou mentions: Action Directe was truely ground breaking. Akira will probably eventually be seen as ground breaking. The FFA of the Nose was ground breaking. The early rap-bolted lines done at Smith were certainly ground breaking.

Having not done the route, I can't say how often a hook placement was available to Bachar - but I guarantee that the runouts were not entirely deliberate. - i.e. on a steep slab he climbed upward into the unknown hoping for a hook placement before the fall potential became too enormous... seems that this is somewhat dictated by the rock - not contrived. I've not heard the story you related above... sounds like rumor/myth to me, though.

As far as the grade goes... Well, it has spit off 5.13/14 cats like Kurt Albert - I was referring to it as groundbreaking in terms of mind control and style, not numerical difficulty.

I'm not disputing the historic nature of some of those other routes you mentioned... but I think it is interesting that all of the routes you name were done in a "modern" top-down style. I'm certainly not against sport climbing or "working" trad routes on a top-rope... but don't you think there is room in climbing for ground-up boldness (which I think the Bachar-Yerian is an excellent example of)? (I only ask because your list seems to indicate that you only place importance on difficulty)

Out of curiousity, what do you think of Pete Cleveland's ascent of Superpin (5.11x) or Dave Brashear's Perilous Journey (5.11x)? Or Beat Kammerlander using tactics similar to the B-Y on multi pitch 5.13/14 "sport" routes in Europe? (hook placements on difficult overhanging limestone - like steep granite slabs - do not present themselves every ten feet)

To me, climbing up into difficult, unknown terrain with uncertain protection is quite admirable.

guangzhou

Feb 8, 2005, 6:59 AM
Post #70 of 145 (11501 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nowhere have anyone claimed that ground up routes were not bold. Whether or not a line is bold is irrelevant to the question on this post.

On a different note, I have never climbed the Bachar line, I hope to get there one day. Usually, when I am climbing in the part of the world/country, I tend to stay in the valley. I prefer the Big Walls to the Toluome routes.

What as been said is that people have bolted routes they could not do before, and that those lines turn out good. It as also been pointed out that people who climb hard don’t necessarily put up good/well bolted lines. If this guy can learn to properly place bolts, he can bolt the line.

To say that someone who climbs 5.11 can't determine where bolts should be is completely wrong. Of course, the line could end up being easier than 14 anyway. Maybe the line as several obvious stances that are perfectly spaced, maybe not.

Can a 5.11 climber bolt a 11+, or a 12, or a 13. The answer is yes, the climber can bolt anything has long as it doesn't oppose local ethics. Even Kurt Smith at Red River gorge bolted a line he couldn't do. Two year later, someone else got the accent.

Eman

clmbr3

Feb 8, 2005, 7:21 AM
Post #71 of 145 (11501 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Nowhere have anyone claimed that ground up routes were not bold. Whether or not a line is bold is irrelevant to the question on this post.

On a different note, I have never climbed the Bachar line, I hope to get there one day.

Yah, I realize that this is off topic from the original post. But the BY was called "contrived" and a "mess." So I would say that it was called something decidedly different than bold.

As far as the original issue... well, seems to me that the question can't be answered without specifically knowing the route and the first ascent history of the climber. (I would intuitively say that it is pointless for someone to bolt a climb 3 number grades over their limit... but if this fellow has done an adequate job on other hard sport routes... well, I'm in no place to stop him...)

Mostly, I'd be curious as to why someone would want to spend the time, money, and energy equipping a line that was way way way over their head....

guangzhou

Feb 8, 2005, 9:22 AM
Post #72 of 145 (11501 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Community Service

healyje

Feb 8, 2005, 9:54 AM
Post #73 of 145 (11501 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Community Service

Again, none of the known people who put up any of the routes mentioned in this thread, especially Wolfgang or Fred, were attempting to put up a route 3-4 levels of difficulty above their current abilities. None were operating out of "community service", but out of all consuming self-interest.

As far as I'm concerned anyone putting up a route for any reason other than a project they are personally obssessed with (and has at least the remote possibility of doing) is in fact a poser doing themselves and everyone else a disservice. The very concept of setting routes as a "community service" outside of a gym pretty much falls under the category of abominable and abhorrent - again, the domain of total posers and egomaniacs operating at the expense of the rock.

fracture

Feb 8, 2005, 3:25 PM
Post #74 of 145 (11501 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Having not done the route, I can't say how often a hook placement was available to Bachar - but I guarantee that the runouts were not entirely deliberate. - i.e. on a steep slab he climbed upward into the unknown hoping for a hook placement before the fall potential became too enormous...

...at a grade he was could onsight solo. And from what I understand, it's no slab: it's a vertical knobby face climb. I'm sure you can't hook literally anywhere, but I'd be suprised if you could only hook where the bolts were actually placed.

Also, keep in mind that if there's any endurance aspect whatsoever, it wouldn't be a 5.11+ for the FA, because he got to rest on the points of aid.

In reply to:
I've not heard the story you related above... sounds like rumor/myth to me, though.

Another (possibly rumor/myth) that I read somewhere is that hearing someone was planning to rap bolt the line is what spurred Bachar to go lead it ground up. Seems the whole excersize was an effort to prove something on Bachar's behalf.

In reply to:
As far as the grade goes... Well, it has spit off 5.13/14 cats like Kurt Albert - I was referring to it as groundbreaking in terms of mind control and style, not numerical difficulty.

On toprope? People fall off (and, IIRC, injure their belayer, in this case) because they are scared, not because it is hard. If you slap a toprope on it and remove the mental control aspect, many, if not most recreational climbers would be capable of climbing it (it's only 11+).

In reply to:
I'm not disputing the historic nature of some of those other routes you mentioned... but I think it is interesting that all of the routes you name were done in a "modern" top-down style. I'm certainly not against sport climbing or "working" trad routes on a top-rope... but don't you think there is room in climbing for ground-up boldness (which I think the Bachar-Yerian is an excellent example of)? (I only ask because your list seems to indicate that you only place importance on difficulty)

Personally, no. I think "ground up" is a religion, and breaking away from it has been one of the most significant and positive developments for the sport.

In reply to:
To me, climbing up into difficult, unknown terrain with uncertain protection is quite admirable.

Bold? Yes, I guess. Admirable? Not to me.

Sorry for the hijacking, btw. :oops:

tradmanclimbs

Feb 8, 2005, 3:30 PM
Post #75 of 145 (11501 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

healy J . Thats a pretty A hole statement. At sport crags you sometimes have guys that work their butts off cleaning rts, setting rts and doing trail work. to call these guys posers just because they might set a rt they are not personaly capeable of freeing is lame. I know I set a few rts for my GF that I had no chance of freeing in my wildest dreams. One of them is a fairly populer climb now with no complaints and the other is still a project. Does that make me a poser because I put a bunch of effort and work into a project so that my Gf and a few of my other friends had a new climb to play on? You don't have to be a great climber to know how to run a wire brush and and a drill. I think the totaly lame a$$ ones are the rock jocks that ask me why i haven't cleaned and bolted a line yet but they wont get off their lazy arses and help clean and set the rt.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Sport Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook