Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Best route for taking a beginner up the grand?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

narz

Jun 17, 2002, 4:52 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1250 views)
Shortcut

Best route for taking a beginner up the grand?  (North_America: United_States: Wyoming: Western_Wy_: Grand_Teton_NP)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on the best route up the Grand for an experienced climber taking up a newbie. Ive been climbing for about 8 years but will be taking my father up the Grand Teton. He is in very good shape but has no actual climbing experience. I have taught him the basics of ropework and he will be thoroughly practiced in it by the time we go, but I am looking for a route that he will be able to climb without too much technical climbing. Time is also a factor as we would like to only spend 2 days in the actual attempt. If anyone has any advice, I would appreciate it. So far I think I have it narrowed down to Owen-Spalding or Exum Ridge.

Thanx a million in advance for any help

cygnus

Jun 17, 2002, 5:33 PM
Post #2 of 3 (1250 views)
Shortcut

Best route for taking a beginner up the grand? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been to the grand twice. I'd definetly stick with the OS route. It's basically a scramble route. The Exum requires more climbing. You can buy route guides at the Jenny Lake ranger station for about $2.

That's cool you're taking your dad.

C

alpinerocket

Jun 17, 2002, 6:15 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1250 views)
Shortcut

Best route for taking a beginner up the grand? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you plan on spending the night at the lower sadle for a climb up the Grand via the OS you will need to get a permit. Be cautioned these go fast and you might not get one. So be prepared to do the climb in one long day. John

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook