RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

ryan112ryan

Feb 8, 2005, 8:50 AM
Post #1 of 10 (2033 views)
Shortcut

garda knot (alpine clutch) holding power/fail point
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hey, i stumbled upon a thread mentioning this knot and i was wondering at what point it fails at (Kn). what people use it for?

michaelmcguinn

Feb 8, 2005, 9:06 AM
Post #2 of 10 (2033 views)
Shortcut

Re: gara knot (alpin clutch) holding power/fail point [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have used this hitch alot. It has great holding power. The kind of rope has an effect on when the hitch will slip. Not sure about a KN at all. I have been taught in a guides course a few years ago that you can belay with a garda and be safe. Make two and you can belay two followers at a time. Yes, it is an auto locker from above.

Use it.

MM

dirtineye

Feb 8, 2005, 4:41 PM
Post #3 of 10 (2033 views)
Shortcut

Re: garda knot (alpine clutch) holding power/fail point [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It's for hauling and ascending.

Belaying with it would be a problem if you wanted to lower, the garda acts like a one way ratchet.

pico23

Feb 9, 2005, 11:18 PM
Post #4 of 10 (2033 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah, i was messing around with the Garda when i was practicing haul system knots a few years ago. I got to thinking "gee this would be a great autoblock for belaying the second" and sure it's bomber. Problem is, you know all those threads and stories about the NOOB getting someone stuck on a reverso because they never learned how to unblock it? we'll this thing is kind of like that. It's designed for one way use, looseing it for a fairly light pack is not too much a problem but think 150lbs of climber dangling on the other end.

Anyway, I'm sure there is a method to releasing it easily but it seems like a lot of trouble for a belay. I still think the Munter hitch is the best belay from above. The only problems are it fuzzes the rope and it can kink it.

The haul system I settled on was an ATC from above with a prussik. Works like a charm for the light stuff I might have to haul and I've even used it in a non climbing situation to haul my dog (50lbs).

lambone

Feb 9, 2005, 11:51 PM
Post #5 of 10 (2033 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

it's good for hauling light bags.

davidji

Feb 10, 2005, 12:00 AM
Post #6 of 10 (2033 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have used this hitch alot. It has great holding power. The kind of rope has an effect on when the hitch will slip. Not sure about a KN at all. I have been taught in a guides course a few years ago that you can belay with a garda and be safe. Make two and you can belay two followers at a time. Yes, it is an auto locker from above.
I've belayed with it when I had to virtually haul my partner--every few inches of progress I had to lock him off. Using ATC-type belay he'd loose almost as much progress as he gained. I would have preferred it if he'd just prussiked, but I don't think that was an option for him.

If you belay with this you need to make sure the knot doesn't ride up the gate side of the biners.

lambone

Feb 10, 2005, 12:07 AM
Post #7 of 10 (2033 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

problem with hauling...or belaying with it is that it's nearly impossible to release when fully weighted. That's why it's best just to use it for light packs that you can muscle around...just don't get the pack stuck.

also, there is alot of friction within the knot itself wich is a disadvantage to hauling.

slcliffdiver

Feb 10, 2005, 12:08 AM
Post #8 of 10 (2033 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Read somewhere (memory blank) that it can damage the rope when under high to moderate forces through pinching. If I recall right it was around 500 lbs. Anyway whatever I saw on it was conving enough at the time and the force was low enough that I decided I wouldn't use it for belaying seconds though I like a lot with a small loop for my foot as a prussic suplement for short distances (long distances and the rope gets a bit heavy). Anyway take that for what it's worth.

joneiche

Feb 10, 2005, 12:46 AM
Post #9 of 10 (2033 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One word of warning...

Make sure to keep the rope positioned at the top of the spine. Don't let it slide over the gate because the garda will easily unclip itself from the biner. I would recommend (while on the ground) loading the rope across the nose of the biner and watching it slip over the nose and load the gate.

just a heads up.

jimdavis

Feb 10, 2005, 5:22 AM
Post #10 of 10 (2033 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You don't want to use that for anything you can't lift with 1 hand.

If you need to release it under a heavy load....you'll be building a haul system just to convert that hitch over to a munter or something. Major pain in the ass.

Cheers,
Jim

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook