Forums: Climbing Information: Climbing History & Trivia:
Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing History & Trivia

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

sungam

May 26, 2014, 1:27 PM
Post #201 of 206 (5861 views)
Shortcut

Re: [s6141a] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Haha, that's great. I have a half-read and fully-lostcopy of The Villain laying around my flat somewhere that I should really find and finish.

As for entertaining brushes with famous climbers, my climbing mentor was once climbing I believe at a gym somewhere near Sheffield as the weather had spoilt their plans of climbing in the peak for the day. Apparently his belayer knew John Dunne fairly well as he came up and said hello, then started up the line just to the right of them. After finishing the route, lowering off a nipping to the loo, my mentor came back just in time to hear John ask his partner "Who's that ripped 40 year old you're climbing with?"

As a 29 year old he wasn't really sure how happy he was with the compliment to his physique.

s6141a

May 26, 2014, 1:46 PM
Post #202 of 206 (5847 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was amazed how well John Dunne climbed, considering how big a guy he was. My old partner, John Bouchard pointed that out to me, since he was pretty amazed as well.

Gmburns2000

May 26, 2014, 2:11 PM
Post #203 of 206 (5845 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
I live up in sunny Edinburgh, Scotland (though if elections keep going the way they are, not for much longer since I'm a dirty unwelcome forner).

you need to work on your accent, that's all. it took me less than a year to have locals thinking I was Irish, and that was completely unintentional - I didn't even know it until someone asked where in Ireland I was from.

dagibbs

May 26, 2014, 2:28 PM
Post #204 of 206 (5840 views)
Shortcut

Re: [enigma] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't generally get to climb with famous climbers, and haven't been doing this long enough to climb with someone before they got famous, but I have climbed with one person who has, or should have, some reknown:

Kame Sherpa - high Sierras, California.

sungam

May 27, 2014, 9:49 AM
Post #205 of 206 (5819 views)
Shortcut

Re: [s6141a] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

s6141a wrote:
I was amazed how well John Dunne climbed, considering how big a guy he was.
Yeah he is a big inspiration for me, as a fellow big dude.

Haha, I made a pun.

singletrackmike

May 29, 2014, 6:54 PM
Post #206 of 206 (5764 views)
Shortcut

Re: [enigma] Who's the most famous climber /s you climbed with and where? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A buddy and I were at J.T. circa late 80's and finished up on Bearded Cabbage (5.10) which was difficult for us. We were getting a big head over our accomplishment when we heard a noise below. Not hearing the banter of other climbers, or the clanking of pro we were unsure what the muffled noises were.
John Bachar soloed up in back of us and gave a curt "Hey" as he continued on his way. We stalked him throughout the day and I (not knowing any better) asked him to pose with each of us by saying "We're just some East Coast jerks and would love it if we could get a picture with you".
It must have been the right thing to say as I have the pose of he & I hanging in my pool room. I don't remember him saying anything that day except the initial "Hey" and an "OK" to my question about the pic.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Climbing History & Trivia

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook