Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Next page Last page  View All

flamer

Feb 24, 2004, 11:57 PM
Post #51 of 251 (14449 views)
Shortcut

Re: Red Rocks Rendezvous will rock! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
Linking some routes would be fun too.

Dude I've got a KILLER linkup!! I call it "classic 7's". Here goes: Tunnel vision, Group Therapy, Healy's Haunted House, Gernimo, Black Dagger, Olive Oil. It's alot of climbing- over 30 pitch's and lot's of hiking/running. I've linked the first 3 plus Olive Oil in under 8 hours ctc. and the other 2 are totally doable.
Also there are some speed records in RR that are just asking to be beat!!

Any chance you can get there a couple of days early???

josh

flamer

Feb 25, 2004, 12:00 AM
Post #52 of 251 (14449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Anyone else have any route's they'd like to do??

josh

Inti Watana
Traissic Sands
Mazatlan
Community Pillar
Red Zinger
Eagle Dance
Our Father
Delicate Sound of Thunder
Only the Good Die Young
Rock Warrior
Fiddler on the Roof
Cloud Tower

....to name a few.

My short list for this spring. Would be willing to do one or as many of these as anyone wants to do.

These are all on my list as well...I will be around the week before and the week after ...hopefully you can get out then as well...

josh

flamer

Feb 25, 2004, 12:05 AM
Post #53 of 251 (14449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
My climbing partner Bob and I will be on Levitation 29 Sunday so I'll be getting up WAY early Sunday to get up there with that long approach. Won't be up drinking beer as late into Saturday as I usually would. :wink:

WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU!!!!! Don't you know this is a climbing festival???
You're not supposed to get upEARLY and climb allBURLY!!!

You're supposed to eat, DRINK, and meet people to climb crazy stuff with at a later date!!!

DUH!!!

josh

drkodos

Feb 25, 2004, 12:13 AM
Post #54 of 251 (14449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

josh

Like a sleazy lounge singer, I'm here all week.....

addiroids

Feb 25, 2004, 12:24 AM
Post #55 of 251 (14449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Linking some routes would be fun too.

Dude I've got a KILLER linkup!! I call it "classic 7's". Here goes: Tunnel vision, Group Therapy, Healy's Haunted House, Gernimo, Black Dagger, Olive Oil. It's alot of climbing- over 30 pitch's and lot's of hiking/running. I've linked the first 3 plus Olive Oil in under 8 hours ctc. and the other 2 are totally doable.
Also there are some speed records in RR that are just asking to be beat!!

josh

The earliest I could be there would be friday morning, but it is unlikely. We are coming into our busy season with construction, but we are taking one 3 day weekend a month just to maintain our sanity. I will try to lobby for that weekend with my boss. Maybe he will come up too and climb with his daughter.

Man, that would be a LOT of miles between those routes. I remember a while back when the approach to Black Dagger alone was murder. But that when I was in much worse shape than now (cardio wise). I just love the idea of climbing fast and running packless between climbs. We do that at Tahquitz all the time. It is hell, but if climbing was mean to be fun, it would be called "humping". Actually "humping" IS involved in climbing, but we are talking about different "loads" here.

I will probably only be able to get there on the weekend, but will definately try for earlier. Would someone be able to pick me up from the airport thurs afternoon and drop me off sunday night??

TRADitionally yours,

Cali Dirtbag

flamer

Feb 25, 2004, 12:33 AM
Post #56 of 251 (14449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Man, that would be a LOT of miles between those routes. I remember a while back when the approach to Black Dagger alone was murder. But that when I was in much worse shape than now (cardio wise). I just love the idea of climbing fast and running packless between climbs. I will probably only be able to get there on the weekend, but will definately try for earlier. Would someone be able to pick me up from the airport thurs afternoon and drop me off sunday night??

TRADitionally yours,

Cali Dirtbag

Well first of all you would drive between The angel food wall & the pine creek trail head. And second of all I have a "special, super secret" SHORT CUT, I'll tell you about it later. But it's still no walk in the park- should be fun though!! Also this is Simul-climbing all but about 2 pitch's.

I can probably at least pick you up from the airport, and MAYBE drop you off.

josh

moabbeth

Feb 25, 2004, 1:03 AM
Post #57 of 251 (14449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Anyone else have any route's they'd like to do??

josh

My climbing partner Bob and I will be on Levitation 29 Sunday so I'll be getting up WAY early Sunday to get up there with that long approach.

It is not as bad as all that. Park in the Oak Creek lot. There is a shortcut up the slabs, if one knows it, it saves about 45 minutes. Otherwise, it is about 105 minutes from car to base of the route.

Depending on how much time you want to spend in the canyon, many people rap the route instead of topping out. Saves about three hours.

If you head into Icebox Canyon this weekend or the next few, you will find out whence it was named....

good luck!

Thanks for the advice kodos but my partner is a 20 year RR vet...he takes good care of me there. I've been in Icebox Cyn several times from November thru now this season. I don't find it to be that cold. But I have a very high tolerance for cold. And he's done Levitation over a dozen times, it's his favorite route there so we're dialed. No friggin way am I rapping it, I wanna top out and do that stunning walk off. It's like people who do Solar Slab and then rap it before the last pitch top-out...why bother? Topping out and having that wild stunning hike off is just too much fun.

drkodos

Feb 25, 2004, 2:13 AM
Post #58 of 251 (14449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

moabbeth:

fair enough.

my inclination, however, is to rap and do more climbing....

Having done the hike, I agree it is fantastic, but there are only so many times I want to do it.

Jaded, I am.

Get out there and try leading one of those crrrruxy pitches. They are well protected, and some of the best climbing here. Just think of the crux itself as a bolted V1 and you'll send!

climbsomething

Feb 25, 2004, 5:41 AM
Post #59 of 251 (14449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Did somebody say jacuzzi??

that's the word on the grapevine, along with beer, wine, and a hot damn! from the choir.
MWAH AH AH.

Yep. That would be climbsomething, amber_chk, climbs4fun, and anybody else who wants to partake. We're talking white zin, smirnoff ice, and beer inside Kelly's apartment hot tub. And anybody who knows me knows there will be a camera.

Kelly and I WILL NOT TOLERATE anybody making fun of our choices of beverage ;)

la la la... which bikini? I have the red hawaiian floral one, the black one, and the neon orange halter one with little handprint graphics on it. Hmm, the red one does most closely match the color of my wine...

OK Ed, now if you don't come hang out with us, I might think you were off planning your wedding or something ;)

Oh, I'll climb something too (get it? climb something? :P ) but just single-pitch fun stuff. I'll have to save those classic long routes for another time...

maculated

Feb 25, 2004, 5:46 AM
Post #60 of 251 (14449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, Josh, pick a route and I'll follow it. Those routes are the only ones I can lead all pitches on that I know of. Would love to do some good routes I've never heard of.

And Kelly? Remember my little mantra climb? I am getting you on Physical Graffiti. Maybe you could lead both pitches.

Damn, Beth, LEV 29? Stout!

Hillary, wanna trad crag? I really liked Brass wall when I was out there.

moabbeth

Feb 25, 2004, 6:20 AM
Post #61 of 251 (14449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Damn, Beth, LEV 29? Stout!

Hillary, wanna trad crag? I really liked Brass wall when I was out there.

Hey, feel free to meet us Saturday, I have some buddies from San Diego coming up too that are gonna meet us at the Vis center parking lot. Will let ya know a time when we firm one up. Saturday's just gonna be about some good craggin and good times.

phugganut

Feb 25, 2004, 6:43 AM
Post #62 of 251 (14449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just don't know. It seems like a good time, but then there might be too many people to enjoy the climbing. I mean, if everyone is going to RR that w/e, then it might be nice to go to J-Tree and climb in (relative) solitude. Then I could go to RR the following w/e when the mob is gone, and wait to party hardy at the PBC. Well, some friends are going, so I might get talked into it. It would be nice to finally meet some of you RC.commers. Free Fat Tire, huh? Hmmmm...

moabbeth

Feb 25, 2004, 6:53 AM
Post #63 of 251 (14449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I just don't know. It seems like a good time, but then there might be too many people to enjoy the climbing. I mean, if everyone is going to RR that w/e, then it might be nice to go to J-Tree and climb in (relative) solitude..

Excellent point on JT. I was going to Vegas this weekend regardless, it's my partner's birthday and this AAC thing just happened to coincide. But I think as long as you avoid the Gallery and the usual crowd gathering spots, the RR is so vast you can definitely find something to get on.

phugganut

Feb 25, 2004, 7:01 AM
Post #64 of 251 (14449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Excellent point on JT. I was going to Vegas this weekend regardless, it's my partner's birthday and this AAC thing just happened to coincide. But I think as long as you avoid the Gallery and the usual crowd gathering spots, the RR is so vast you can definitely find something to get on.

Yeah that's what my friends keep saying. Also, I'm not very into the hero worship thing, but it WOULD be cool to get tips from Peter Croft! It will probably be a "game-time decision" for me.

flamer

Feb 25, 2004, 4:31 PM
Post #65 of 251 (14449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
MWAH AH AH.

Yep. That would be climbsomething, amber_chk, climbs4fun, and anybody else who wants to partake. We're talking white zin, smirnoff ice, and beer inside Kelly's apartment hot tub. And anybody who knows me knows there will be a camera.

la la la... which bikini? I have the red hawaiian floral one, the black one, and the neon orange halter one with little handprint graphics on it. Hmm, the red one does most closely match the color of my wine...

OK Ed, now if you don't come hang out with us, I might think you were off planning your wedding or something ;)

Oh, I'll climb something too (get it? climb something? :P ) but just single-pitch fun stuff. I'll have to save those classic long routes for another time...

So is that like an open invite? Cause I have this really hot bikini...but man does it make my butt look big.
josh

climbsomething

Feb 25, 2004, 10:18 PM
Post #66 of 251 (14449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
MWAH AH AH.

So is that like an open invite? Cause I have this really hot bikini...but man does it make my butt look big.
josh
Just don't laugh at our cheap girly booze. And my butt is big too. Makes a nice shelf to put your beer bottle on.

Mac, Brass wall looks fun. I'll second anything, but I'm a ninny when it comes to actually leading, but on paper, it looks do-able, and I've long been curious about it. Will it be chilly? Warm? I am also happy with Calico Basin (Moderate Mecca et. al.) assuming it's not baking and/or a madhouse then...

katydid

Feb 25, 2004, 10:22 PM
Post #67 of 251 (14449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mmm, moderates, cheap booze, and hot tubs ... what more could a girl ask for? :mrgreen:

k.

stone_monkey

Feb 25, 2004, 10:38 PM
Post #68 of 251 (14449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I was going to Vegas this weekend regardless, it's my partner's birthday and this AAC thing just happened to coincide.
Hmmmm
The aac (american alpine club) is holding it's annual meeting this weekend Feb 27-29 http://www.americanalpineclub.org/...ty/events-annual.asp

The Red Rocks Rendevous (which is what this thread is about) is being held March 19-21st http://www.mgear.com/.../RedRockClimbing.asp
Is it possible you've got your dates mixed up?

addiroids

Feb 25, 2004, 11:09 PM
Post #69 of 251 (14449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Well first of all you would drive between The angel food wall & the pine creek trail head. And second of all I have a "special, super secret" SHORT CUT, I'll tell you about it later. But it's still no walk in the park- should be fun though!! Also this is Simul-climbing all but about 2 pitch's.

I can probably at least pick you up from the airport, and MAYBE drop you off.

josh

That sounds good. Maybe a human powered ascent like Potter and co. did on the HD, EC, SS linkup recently with bikes. Who knows. But that does sounds good. I did TV, BD, and I think I got off route on GT, but haven't done Healy's. Looks like a good route. I may try to fly in thurs evening to be ready for friday. Let me look at some prices.

TRADitionally yours,

Cali Dirtbag

moabbeth

Feb 25, 2004, 11:16 PM
Post #70 of 251 (14449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I was going to Vegas this weekend regardless, it's my partner's birthday and this AAC thing just happened to coincide.
Hmmmm
The aac (american alpine club) is holding it's annual meeting this weekend Feb 27-29 http://www.americanalpineclub.org/...ty/events-annual.asp

The Red Rocks Rendevous (which is what this thread is about) is being held March 19-21st http://www.mgear.com/.../RedRockClimbing.asp
Is it possible you've got your dates mixed up?

You are correct again.

So everything I've talked about in this thread.....disregard it for March, it's this weekend for me since I live my life without the benefit of calendars and watches 8) 8) :lol: ! What month is it right now???

Dammit monkey, I should hire you as an editor, you're good at pointing out my retardedness :wink: ! This is the second time now. :lol: :lol:

vegastradguy

Feb 25, 2004, 11:29 PM
Post #71 of 251 (14449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey!!! what about me???? awww, man! see, i miss this thread for a few days and everyone made plans already! :cry:

phhhttt! now what am i supposed to do? hrm. with all these folks in town, it may be wise to go play in Windy Canyon that weekend. or go find me an obscure classic or two. Community Pillar might be warm enough! ooOOoo...5.9, baby. Or perhaps the Magic Triangle, which needs completing. or, if i'm a glutton for punishment, Chuckawalla....alright, well, if ANYONE wants to go climbin, let me know. i'm pretty quick and can get on most 5.9's on lead (with some exceptions) and any and all 5.8's. I'll follow into the .10's.

Healy's, btw, is excellent. it has the spiciest 5.7 chimney i've ever been on. the upper pitches, while they go quickly, are excellent climbing as well. 4th class they are not.

btw- i've topped on Solar, and unless you walk off and then rappel down into the Painted Bowl, you're better off (and safer!) rappelling from the 7th pitch. Besides, its not like you summit the mountain, you just get about 150' higher on the same wall.

well, just the chance of meeting all you rc.com folks is a good one. i'll be at the festival on fri/sat, then climbin all day sunday.

PS- BANFF FILM FESTIVAL will be playing at the CC Library here in town on MARCH 12th for those who will be in town the week before the festival.

Partner calamity_chk

Feb 25, 2004, 11:36 PM
Post #72 of 251 (14449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tradguy - no worries, my man .. you're always welcome to join the after-hours jacuzzi party. 8)

and yay! i might get to hang with the cali dirtbag again, weeee!

vegastradguy

Feb 25, 2004, 11:47 PM
Post #73 of 251 (14449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

woohoo!!! I'm there! :D

maculated

Feb 25, 2004, 11:52 PM
Post #74 of 251 (14449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hillary, or alternately, there's Calico Canyon. I want Kel to lead the 5.6 there, but there are some nice looking 8 and 9 multipitches I'd love to run up, too.

drkodos

Feb 25, 2004, 11:54 PM
Post #75 of 251 (14449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
tradguy - no worries, my man .. you're always welcome to join the after-hours jacuzzi party. 8)

I am never too comfortable or certain about the origins of that bubbly foam that looks like an over frothed cappucino, lingering in the tub when so many people are getting "relaxed".

I'll pass......

Then again, I wasn't even invited!

Nothing like turning down a non-invitation in a display of holier than thou snobbery. One of my fortes, no doubt.....

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Events & Gatherings

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook